1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

entry level PVR with Freeview?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by House Song, May 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. House Song

House Song

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help, if possible... I'm after an entry level (circa £200?) PVR with Freeview. Features I'm keen on are:

- capacity doesn't have to be huge
    - full 7 day+ EPG
    - dual tuners so I can watch one digital channel whilst recording another
    - archivable to my VCR
    - quality picture and sound
    - generally user-friendly
    - can I also watch freeview in the other room (i.e. on 2 TVs, rather than watching a 2 separate channels)?

I've had a look at Which?'s guide - they reckon the Thomson DHD4000, Humax PVR8000T-80 (not dual tuner) and DigiFusion FVRT100 (lesser EPG) are the best ones.

Any suggestions over and above these models? And, more importantly, feedback on what these devices are actually like to own/use.

Also, my wife's not convinced we need a PVR (over a VCR), so I need to know about as many cool functions/features (e.g. can we edit out the adverts?) as possible so I can sell her on the idea!

Thanks a lot for your help

2. frank-g

frank-g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a Fusion FVRT100 since Christmas. Firstly used with a 32" Sony Wega CRT, now used with Panasonic PWD7 plasma. The quality of the picture is amazing, cannot fault it. Now has 14 day programme guide. I have read some comments that their menu is awkward and at first had to agree. However, like with most things, once you have got used to it then you can easily find your way around.

For me the big selling point is the ability to pause a programme. I still find the pause play brilliant. If I go and do something I don't have to set up any record procedure just press pause then when I am ready to watch again just press play (there is only 30 minutes of recording this way though) and if it is a station with ads I can fire through them, until I get back to really time that is. There is no feature to edit out the ads though. Also as updates can be transmitted the unit doesn't start to become obsolete when it leaves the factory. I haven't tried to archive anything to my old VCR but understand that this can be done.

What I am unhappy about is that you can't set the recorder to do daily or weekly recordings (for a series or programmes); although I have been told by DigiFusion that this is an upgrade they are working on.

Overall I am very happy with my FVRT100. Because of the quality of the picture I decided to purchase a plasma screen and move to digital onlyTV reception. What ever you purcahse you must make sure it has twin tuners though.