Entry level monitor for first time PC gamer

RichB14

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
My daughter is moving into PC gaming so we are building her a PC for Christmas.
I was just going to let her use an old 19" monitor in the loft but she could really do with a something better, the will eat into the PC build cost though.

This is the make up of the PC so far (Just Graphics to add which might have to be second hand)

the 2 screens I've seen today with limited searching are
G27c-10 27-inch Full HD Curved Gaming Monitor (Can get £30 off + cashback) 165hz
Lenovo G27c-10 27-inch Full HD Curved Gaming Monitor | very.co.uk

Acer Nitro QG241Ybii only 70hz
Buy ACER Nitro QG241Ybii Full HD 23.8" VA LCD Gaming Monitor - Black | Free Delivery | Currys

Games she currently plays are Fortnite and Minecraft on the the Xbox one s
And Among us on her laptop

So would these be any good at all ?
I know we are not going to get anything great at this price point but she will need something :)

the other option is she sells her Xbox and buys a screen with the proceeds then we have more budget for a Graphics card

Thanks

Last edited:
I saw you didn't have a GPU on the list so no idea what kind of FPS you will get. I'd be more inclined to look at 22" or 24" 1080p monitor for the bigger screen. Something decent but not too pricey. No point in it doing 165hz if the PC never runs games at that. Although faster frame rates are better in shooter games like fortnite.
If you had the budget and gpu running faster ideally you'd want to aim for 1440p monitor @ maybe 144hz.
I built my son a PC last year and spent the money on the GPU over the monitor knowing he will eventually want to upgrade.
Had a look on amazon and these two caught my eye:
@ £128: Amazon product ASIN B088LYZYKX
@ £150: Amazon product ASIN B07SS5QLWQ
Both sound decent in terms of specs and not too pricey.

Excellent, so much better than what I found, strange they didn't come up in my searches.

Not sure on the GPU as yet, like a say happy to go into the second hand market on that for value, i'm guessing a gtx 1060 as a minimum really

Excellent, so much better than what I found, strange they didn't come up in my searches.

Not sure on the GPU as yet, like a say happy to go into the second hand market on that for value, i'm guessing a gtx 1060 as a minimum really
Yeah I'd think that as minimum ... aim to look for a deal on 1660ti or 1660 super if you can - may as well aim higher ... maybe even if you got lucky on 1070 or 2060 but they seem to sell out quick and likely not priced well.

Both the HP and the LG went quickly out of stock :(

Picked up this one instead, just need a GPU to drive it now
Samsung LC24RG50FQUXEN 24" CRG5 Curved Gaming Monitor 144Hz, FreeSync, FullHD, 2 x HDMI 1 x Displayport, Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Thats a VA type LCD panel, if you want to use Freesync you should get an AMD GPU.

Nvidia's G-Sync compatible mode (aka Freesync) has a lot of problems with VA panels unless they have been certified as g-sync compatible. Uncertified TN or IPS type LCD's fair better than VA.

So I would avoid an Nvidia GPU with that monitor.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thats a VA type LCD panel, if you want to use Freesync you should get an AMD GPU.

Nvidia's G-Sync compatible mode (aka Freesync) has a lot of problems with VA panels unless they have been certified as g-sync compatible. Uncertified TN or IPS type LCD's fair better than VA.

So I would avoid an Nvidia GPU with that monitor.

Ah OK,
That shouldn't be an issue, almost helps in narrowing down what GPU to go for if anything.

Thanks very much for the heads up on this

Cancelled the order for the Samsung, hoping to get a 1660ti at a good price

Ok so i've got a Zotac gtx 1660 ti on the way
would this be a good match ?
Buy HP 25x Full HD 24.5" LCD Gaming Monitor - Black | Free Delivery | Currys

Yeah should be alright.

You will want to connect it via Displayport to use G-Sync compatible mode.

For optimal g-sync compatible usage go into the Nvidia control panel
set desktop resolution to 144Hz
turn on g-sync
in manage 3d settings set max fps to 141 (3 frame limit to avoid vsync input lag)
leave vsync enabled in games and leave fps uncapped (if the game has the option)

That will keep the display in g-sync mode all the time.

That's great info, thanks very much for your time and effort, ordered a Displayport cable to go with it

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom