1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entry level DVD Recorder with Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jdcotr, Oct 25, 2004.

1. jdcotr

jdcotr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy an entry level DVD Recorder with a hard disk but don't really know what I'm looking for. I will be recording solely from Sky Digital and was wondering if someone could recommend a decent unit?

I have been looking at the Pioneer DVR420 and the Panasonic DMRE85 which are both available on richersounds for £379.95. Are either of these units any good? or is there another I should be looking at?

2. shoes

shoes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there Did you get a recorder , if so ewhich one did you go for as I have the same dilema now

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    For recording from Sky Digital consider:
    - Toshiba RDXS32
    - Panasonic E85/E95
    - Pioneer 420/520

If you don't have Sky+ then the Toshiba RDXS32 is an excellent choice as it has a magic wand that can control your Digibox. The DVD authoring options, connectivity and the fact it's multi format (DVD-RW, DVD-R and DVD-RAM) add to it's appeal. If your looking for a one-box solution then the Toshiba is it.

The Panasonic range are also a good choice. They can't control the Digibox but offer the best all-round recording quality so if that is what matters then opt for a Panasonic. If you intend to author on a PC then I would definitely choose the Panasonic range. Go for the E85 unless you want/need the iLink (for Digital Camcorders) or PC/SD Card slots (for Digital Cameras).

The Pioneer range are also excellent recorders but can't match the features of the Toshiba or the recording quality of the Panasonic. Well worth considering though. Go for the 420 unless you want/need the iLink (for Digital Camcorders).

4. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    any work with telewest ?

5. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i too am looking for a no thrills dvd recorder purely toarchive some sky plus recordings and to put my music videos onto dvd to play on my denon 2900.Want a hard disk to edit recordings and put in chapters for teh music video.Thanks

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You'd be better off getting the music videos on DVD. You will get a great picture with DD/DTS 5.1 sound as well and probably widescreen.

7. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thats the problem these are old music videos and aren't available on dvd.

8. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I thought you might say that, but I'm surprised, as a lot are on DVD now.

I'd recommend a Panasonic then, especially for reliable recording, as my E50 is.

DVD-RAM/DVD-R only though, which might put you off, though if you only want them for your own playback, then the Panny is fine.

The E55 is only £176 ish. > http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/Content/Products/Details/index.asp?modelcode=PAN-DMRE55EBS

The E85 with HD £398 > http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index.asp?modelcode=PAN-DMRE85HEBS