Entry Level DVD Player vs Games Console!?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sunday Ironfoot, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it worth getting a dedicated DVD player when I already have an Xbox and a Playstation 2? I have my heart set on a Pioneer DV550 (which got 5 star reviews from the press). I'm currently using a Panasonic 32" TXPL10 Widescreen TV, am I likely to see much difference in picture/sound quality between this DVD player and, say, my Xbox which is currently connected via RGB scart?

Sorry if this topic has been covered to death before! Thanks for any advice.

2. Dronach

Dronach
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php?s=

Not sure about inserting links, but this was discussed mid January in a thread headed "PS2 vs Budget DVD".

Some said yes, some said no.

I've tried the PS2 as a DVD and compared to my fairly basic LG DVD there was no contest. So I'd get a separate machine.

3. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree. I have an xbox and even my most recent and cheepest addition to my ever growing hoard of dvd players-accoustic solutions 321 (£49)-is superior. Plus you have the added bonus of being ble to play vcd's and the like if that sort of thing interests you.

4. CIMPSA

CIMPSA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

Have you tried your PS2 player using the dvdregionx (in order to get "true RGB") and a RGB cable? Because I am quite impressed with the PQ when watching dvds this way. Not at all behing what I got with my Pioneer 535.

Carlos

5. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Tosh sd100e blows my x-box away, no questions asked.

6. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks for the responces, seems like I'll get a dedicated DVD player now.

Can't decide between the Toshiba 220 or the Pioneer DV550 though, any suggestions as to which is best, or are they just as good as each other in your opinions? Both seem to be getting rave reviews from the press.

7. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They are much of a muchness Imo. The dv550 tends to be about 50 or 60 more expensive and I have read some people saying they have had to send it back to pioneer to be repaired(but then there are always some dissatisfied customers!). However the sd220 has some issues with dvd-r playback and generally won't play svcd from what I hear. It really depends on what factors are important to you.

Personally I would go for the sd220, multiregion of course :).