1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entry level camcorder with colour viewfinder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by clawson, Oct 17, 2003.

1. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've been looking at how cheap I can get an entry level miniDV camcorder and have lined up the usual suspects (Panasonic NVDS60, Canon MV600, JVC GRD20). I can get one of these for as little as £280 but the only one that has a colour viewfinder is the Canon. However I've read a LOT of negative stuff about the motor from its tape transport which kind of puts me off.

Does anyone know of another entry level miniDV that has a colour viewfinder besides the Canon?

Or am I worrying too much about the viewfinder thing?

My current VHS-C camcorder is a JVC with fold out colour LCD but the internal viewfinder is b/w. You can't (seriously) use the fold out LCD for framing shots and the problem I've found with the b/w view is that you can "lose" things... Say you are pointing it at water in which there are a lot of coloured fish or an aircraft flying against a background of trees at an air show. It's all too easy to lose the thing you are trying to focus on. You then have to take your eye from the viewfinder, scan the sky/water/whatever to find the item and then go back to filming. Not great!

Maybe things are different these days and b/w viewfinders have better definition (this JVC is 4-5 years old!). What does anyone think?

If the viewfinder thing isn't an issue then this opens up a range of other possibilities as I don't mind spending as much as £350 and you can get other things like the JVC GR-D50EK, GR-DX25 for that)

Cliff Lawson

2. Powerhead

Powerhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Canons MV5.. series are a noisy camera and not a very good picture either. My HI-8 easily out performed it

I've never been a fan of colour viewfinders because of their poor resolution.

Black and white viewfinders are often found on Pro-equipment because of their quality and sharpness.

3. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply but I already bought the Canon MV600 because I tried out a few others with b/w viewfinders in the shops and there's simply no contest. The modern B/w viewfinders are just as bad as the one on my old JVC - you just can't "find" things in what you're looking at while the colour view in the Canon is FAR better. So I went for that and if the noise is a problem I'll just get a separate microphone.

Cliff

4. Powerhead

Powerhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh, I appreciate it can be difficult to pick things out in black and white.

Separate microphone good idea for most camcorders.

:smoke: