1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entry level advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lynx, Apr 9, 2002.

1. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    A chap at work has been asking for ideas to get into hc.He already has a dvd player so is looking for some amplification coupled with speakers/sub.Which of the packages are the ones he should be looking at and which are to be avoided?He will no doubt be looking at the all in one type packages but all suggestions will be passed on.No budget as such was mentioned but i would guess at around the £600 mark.Thanks.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a paramount hcs5300 amp and speaker package, its only available through debenhams, comes with five speakers plus sub, dolby digital and dts decoding includes an AM and FM radio. As a starter amp it sounds superb, the only thing i would suggest is upgrading the cable that comes supplied it makes all the difference.

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,408
    Well the best advice I can give, Lynx is for your friend to read HCC, What Video & Total DVD.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I wouldn't argue with that.I would certainly encourage him to do his own research and to audition with his ears but if I could point him in the right direction with some personal recomendations from you guys then that would be good.

5. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in this boat a while ago, but needed something pretty discreet so in the end settled on a Marantz SR4200 (£260) and Mission FS2-AV speakers (£360). Haven't actually got them yet (come on avland.co.uk!!) but am reasonably happy with my choice.

However for your friend I wouldn't really recommend the missions unless space is an issue - there are better speakers for the price - check out some of the entry level stuff on the Mission, Tannoy and Eltax ranges. This should save him enough to upgrade to the SR5200 (£350) giving him more oomph plus 6.1 support. Yamaha and Sony also seems to have good amps in this price range. HTH, but the best way of course is to send him off to a hifi shop with a list of possibles and let him audition for himself.

Regards,
    DDC

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Thnks for the comments guys.It might be better to let this one die.He has been spotted looking at something in Powerhouse for £200 :rolleyes: .