Entertainment in video

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Lex, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Whilst we are on the subject of poor DVD packaging (Planet of the Apes thread!)...

I was just reading at the R2 Project

http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?sectionId=3&articleId=3563

that Entertainment in Video may not be distributing R2 'New Line' films for much longer... HURRAH!!!
    I hate EIV they are the biggest pile of poop on the planet! New Line make some of the best films around and they are always spoilt in R2 by EIV. Maybe now we will be able to buy a descent R2 version (or 3:D ) of LOTR:Fellowship of the Ring when it comes out!

I live in hope.

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think that EIV actually do quite a good job, better than Warners, Disney (got the Kid on rental - impossible to get to the film), MGM (quite a few non-anamorphic), Fox (a few non-anamorphic) and a number of small studios.

Best is Columbia Tristar

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Erm? I can only imagine that you are being sacracstic? ;)

Entertainment in video are appauling - The quality of their transfers are terrible, the extra features are non-existent (oh, unless you include inteactive menus and scene access!?!) and the awful packaging makes them not worth owning.
    To really prove my point though simply compare them to the Region 1 versions (there is no comparison!)

4. 2shy

2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear god, you are foolish.

Most know 80% of eiv discs are near identical to R1; New Line send them exactly the same stuff.

Yes the packaging is rubbish. But just look at Rush Hour 2. Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES DISCRETE.

IMHO EiV are the best out there at the moment, because lets face it New Line is the best in the US, and if New Line send EiV the exampt same content and transfers (except for in pal)......

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmm I am afraid it is you who you are the foolish one (no offence meant)!

You strangely contradict yourself in your brief tyrade; you claim that EIV are the best and yet you say that their packaging is rubbish. Huh?

It is not just the packaging that is awful, it is the discs themselves - all the R1 New Line discs I have are picture discs - EIV are just plain silver.

Indeed New Line are one of the best in the US - that is why they are so unhappy with EIVs R2 product.
    You claim that 80% of the DVDs are the same as the US, but what about the other 20% Do they not matter?

And anyway most of them are not the same as R1 - they are often cut, have less special features and less audio tracks.

I say again there is simply no comparison.

...and if you don't believe me then you don't have to take my word for it - just talk to all the DVD retailers who are having to sell most of thie EIV discs off cheap cos nobody wants em!! :devil:

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Just to add my opinion in here: I have to agree that EIV are a dire DVD company, regardless of who they get their material from.

An example: Todd Solondz's bizarro comedy "Happiness".

In the UK, we get:
    - no extras
    - a stereo soundtrack,
    - about 8 chapter stops for a 135 minute movie
    - and bugger-all else.

In the USA, they got:
    - 36 chapter stops
    - Dolby 2.0 Surround soundtrack
    - English subtitles
    - Cast & Crew Information
    - Interactive animated Menu screens

Hell, it may not be much more, but they still got more. In fact, on most of their UK releases, they have useless and nonsensical chapter stops that often go something like:

Chapter 1: 0-00-00
    Chapter 2: 0-14-42
    Chapter 3: 0-22-16

etc, etc. What do these mean? Is that where the chapter stops are placed, or are the figures the duration of the respective chapters? And what about chapter names, which would be far more useful, especially in a movie like "Magnolia" that runs nearly 3 hours?!

And whats with EIV's insistence on giving crap films, or mediocre films DTS soundtracks?! What the hell is going to be worthwhile about hearing "Little Nicky" in DTS, when there are hundreds of other more worthwhile titles that don't even get a DD5.1 audio track?

Plus, EIV seem to revel in including the number of minutes of extras (on the odd discs that have any) on the front, when they are totally inaccurate. "U-571" does not have over 2 hours of extras, because 85% of that time is taken up by the Audio Commentary. Hence, the actual extras amount to about half-an-hour max!

Ultimately, EIV were never much good at video releases, let alone DVD releases?

People expect and deserve more, and companies that skimp on extras, proper soundtracks, miss off English subtitles for the Hard Of Hearing/Deaf, et al are not going to be getting my money! If "Columbia Tristar" can release the majority of their UK releases with quality extras or as double-disc editions, then other companies can do so as well!

Pooch

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hear! Hear!

I have only ever bought one EIV disc (cos it was cheap!) and I soon sold it on again - and I never intend to buy another.

The bad news, however is that it has just been confirmed that EIV WILL be responsible for releasing LOTR in the UK... erm, NO THANKS!!! :mad:

I gues I will be buying the R1 version of LOTR then!!

8. NightStalker

NightStalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the general feeling on this thread. EIV have been producing awful releases since their VHS days! I bought a copy of 'The Crow' on VHS which was an EIV release, the tape stretched after 2 watchings meaning that the sound warbled badly. Thinking that it was just that particular tape I took in back and swapped it for a new one, only to have the same thing happen to that!:mad:
    What I particularly hate about the packaging is the pasting of stupid review quotes from 'The Sun', 'The Mirror' etc. If I want to read crap reviews in crap newspapers I'll buy them, but I certainly won't be persuaded into buying the DVD if they're plastered with them.

I also never intend to buy any EIV discs unless they seriously sort themselves out. R1 purchases for me then!;)