Entertainment/Casual use laptop required, pref BluRay, are these two any good?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by chezzboy, Jun 12, 2009.

1. chezzboy

chezzboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi people, I'm looking for a 15" lappie, preferably bluray, as much RAM as possible, and a decent processor and Graphics card.

I'm not gonna be running the latest games or any high tech apps, just want something thats going to last me a few years. The budget is up to £450 and I've come across 3 reconditioned ones that fit the bill.

First up is this Acer ACER ASP7720G Laptops - *REFURBISHED* 17" BLU-RAY, CORE 2 DUO LAPTOP, 3GB, 250GB - Review ACER ASP7720G Laptops at Dixons.co.uk

It seems good at first glance but has dodgy reviews, a lot saying it takes two attempts to boot up.... Hmmmm...

Next up, HP Pavillion HEWLETT PACKARD DV51110EM *REFURBISHED* 15.4" BLU-RAY LAPTOP WITH 3GB MEMORY & 250GB - cheap Recon Laptops - Dixons.co.uk

This is cheap enough, but is the AMD processor any good, and what about the Graphics card, ATI Mobility Radeon HD3450?

The third, and best spec'd (or is it?), is the more expensive Intel powered HP Pavillion that comes in just over budget (£5, can live with that) with discount code..HEWLETT PACKARD DV6920EA Laptops - Review cheap HEWLETT PACKARD Laptop deals - Dixons.co.uk

This has a Core2Duo processor and Nvidia Geforce Graphics card which I'm led to believe are both better components Vs the other HP. But are they £90 better??

So there are the contenders, can anyone seperate them, and do you have any more suggestions to throw in the mix?

Thankyou very much in advance for your help!! :smashin:

James.

2. matt73

matt73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After great consideration I have gone for the HP 6920ea as it was the spec that i wanted and discounted 455.00 on dixons (down from original 600.00) with 12 mo warranty. It is great I think for the money. These were standout combined specs against the others for me :

Bluray playback (when newer laptops that have this are much more expensive)
    3Gb RAM
    15" screen
    svideo and hdmi out
    HP model (to go with my other HP gear!)

Iit is HP pavillion multimedia so it also has a remote control. I dont know if HP quickplay or windows media centre is any good but I can still play blu ray without this software even if this software is crappy. I am going to try it tonight and will let you know if you want what it was like.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009