Enterprise : Star Trek (a time to re-evaluate)

Garrett

Reaction score
Yes the old series I never really thought it was good although season 3 was good and 4 so so but 1 and 2 not that good at all, but a few month back spotted they were repeating the series on Pick TV and I was in time for season 3.
Well after watching it all this time and not being tainted by season 1 and 2 thought it season was just as good as any season of the other franchise.
I also originally thought season 4 was not that great but found most of the story's we also quite good.
Re watching 1 and 2 my opinions remain the same in fact if anything the second season was even poorer than the first. The even had the cheek to do a story that was a rip off of Enemy Mine even the alien looked very similar.

Anyway any one with an open mind Season 3 is being repeated weekdays at 7pm and the following day at 9am.
unfortunately end of season 2 is the start of the season arc with The Xindi and is on now but repeated Monday morning.

PS the worst ever episode is the last one of season 4 and there is hell of a lot of complaints about it and quite rightly.

Pretty much agree. Season 3 and 4 were great but the finale was a disgrace and insult not only to fans but also the actors themselves.

Pretty much agree. Season 3 and 4 were great but the finale was a disgrace and insult not only to fans but also the actors themselves.
Yes a utter disgrace it was not even a Enterprise story but a STNG story, if there was a better way do do from a great height on the fans and all concerned with the cast, I don't think the top writers at Holywood in a hundred years could think of a better way of doing it.

They said there was a work round
killing Trip if they been commissioned a fifth season but the genie was out of the bottle and saying all the adventures was before his deat stupid. What where they thinking of killing one of the best liked characters it even was not a great demise.

By the way think Jeffrey Combs was brilliant as Shran (not on about his last appearance but overall).

I think the best episodes of this were the 2 part alternate universe ones, in season 4 i think.

Like DS9 which had some great ones but that series also had great episodes on the whole unlike this imo.

Enterprise shared some similarities with DS9 in that it was a lot darker (and dare I say grittier....well, for star trek anyway) than both TNG and Voyager....and that's why I liked it.

Don't think anyone would disagree the finale was a real waste......TNG and DS9 all had ok endings, Voyager not so much....but the Enterprise one was truly woeful.......would have preferred a 'cancelled cliff-hanger' like StarGate: Universe than the hastily put together tosh we got.

I thought enterprise was very underrated...like most of the star trek series, particularly voyager they started poor and got better as the series went on.

I thought voyager was the best show entertainment wise after the middle of the 2nd season.

I have always enjoyed Enterprise and still watch the re-runs on Sky. The crew dynamic was quite good although I thought they never gave the Malcolm character enough depth and made him too unlikeable.

I also enjoyed some of the returning characters like Shran popping up from time to time.

I watched every episode but, only really started enjoying it from season three when they increased the references to previous Star Trek shows, climaxing (in my opinion) with In a Mirror, Darkly.

I watched every episode but, only really started enjoying it from season three when they increased the references to previous Star Trek shows, climaxing (in my opinion) with In a Mirror, Darkly.
That be something like 3/4 of the way into season 4 where they started doing 2 and 3 parters thoughout. Which also worked better than the single stories.
Most people rate In a Mirror Darkly as the best episodes. Also the theme is the one they should have used for all the episode, one of the things that alienated the fans was the song.
For a while in the opening episode I thought they got James Cromwell for it, then notice how they cut it from the film.

Might be time to buy the complete boxset for a revisit but I can still recall 1+2 being a bore, not even T'Pol :love: could redeem it. Season 2 finale was a cracker out of nowhere though.

Watching the extras on the Season 1 and 2 Blu-rays is very insightful as the creators of the show don't hold back regarding how down right terrible some of the Season 1 and 2 episodes were and how much the studio execs meddled, at some point they wanted to have a band of the week playing in the mess hall to make it more teen friendly :rolleyes:

one of the things that alienated the fans was the song.

Truly dire, I listened to it once on the very first episode then fast forwarded it from then on. What were they thinking, would like to know who decided this was an acceptable opening theme.

I love the theme song, although I truly hated ENT after the first season and I tuned out after the Borg ep in season two. But, a little while later, I happened across the Mirror, Darkly two-parter buried in the schedules on Channel 4 on a Sunday morning and I loved it. I bought the third and fourth seasons on DVD and I quickly burned through them, and I've been a convert ever since. It's better than bloody Voyager, that's for sure.

Having watched the show in its entirety again since then, I've even grown to like the first two seasons. They're extremely derivative, which is saying something considering that Trek has been cannibalising itself for 25 years, but I like it for the characters and the easter eggs, i.e. all the little things that are setting up the conventions (M class planet, 'Reed alert' and so on) that we take for granted.

And people complain that the cast outside of the main three don't see much action, but that's the point: this was a return to the classic Trek troika of a Captain, a Vulcan and an ornery good old boy who plays off of both of them, and I've come to appreciate that aspect more and more as time has passed.

IMO it's a downright dirty shame that they never got to do the Romulan War and the subsequent formation of the Federation, as it would've made for some terrific TV and was a chance to establish the canon of those events once and for all. As it is, we've had to make do with Andy Mangel & Martin A. Martin's excellent books, which bring
Trip back from the dead and set his career on a somewhat different trajectory.
(They even manage to retcon the, ah, 'retro' look of the Constitution-class Kirk-era wessels.) Worst of all, we'll never see the NX-01 refit take flight. I love what Doug Drexler did with the ship.

If they had gone in with a plan like that, to get to the Romulan War sooner rather than later, it would've given the show some dramatic impetus right from the off and might've saved it from the apathy which eventually killed it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the theme song, although I truly hated ENT after the first season and I tuned out after the Borg ep in season two. But, a little while later, I happened across the Mirror, Darkly two-parter buried in the schedules on Channel 4 on a Sunday morning and I loved it. I bought the third and fourth seasons on DVD and I quickly burned through them, and I've been a convert ever since. It's better than bloody Voyager, that's for sure.
That's one of the reasons I started this thread because I know people gave up on on the series after the 1st and 2nd series and missed the great story's from the 3rd and 4th.
I like Archer as well as he does some amoral stuff for the greater good.
Like torturing and stealing parts from an other ship that makes there journey home 3 years.
But does it to save Earth something you would not see the other captains do.

Not sure why
Tucker's
fate needs spoilering. All someone has to do is pick up a copy of The Good That Men Do and read the blurb on the back, or check the amazon listing for the book, and BAM! The cat's out of the turbolift.

Well, after all these years I have found someone else who actually liked the theme song!! My word. :clap:
I liked the theme song as well...personally I thought it captured the grand ideals of what Star Trek proposed nicely.

This said my views on Enterprise have always been a little out of sync with the majority - in particular I don't agree with the title of this thread. It doesn't need to be re-evaluated - Enterprise was of the same ilk as all the other modern Star Trek series other than DS9 (which IMHO was grittier and better) - no better, no worse. Its Star Trek so its not ever going to compete with <insert intellectual drama title here> but then its not trying to. Meanwhile criticisms that it copied stories from TNG/Voyager etc - so what!?! If something was good first time then what's wrong with doing it again? Originality doesn't necessarily mean good! Especially when many tune into things like this for a staple diet of 'light TV'.

I think Enterprise got bad press because people were a little Trekked out by the time it came on. Yes it had tacky lines but then so did TNG (almost anything said by Wesley Crusher) - and so did Voyager ("Take the Cheese to Sickbay").

Yeah, it could be argued that we're seeing the same stories again and again with films and TV in general, but with Trek it became acute in the case of ENT, because in those first two seasons we really did get the same thing rolled out over and over, like the traditional Darmok/Enemy Mine/Lifeboat episode. That's why people, including myself, got bored of it pretty quickly having just come off of seven brain-numbing seasons of Voyager.

Not sure why
Tucker's
fate needs spoilering. All someone has to do is pick up a copy of The Good That Men Do and read the blurb on the back, or check the amazon listing for the book, and BAM! The cat's out of the turbolift.
Even if other sites give out spoilers does mean we do.
Until you mentioned it I never knew that book existed so like many here who gave up on the series before 3 and 4 who I'm trying to encourage to watch season 3 and 4 would never have known about the book.

I liked the theme song as well...personally I thought it captured the grand ideals of what Star Trek proposed nicely.
regardless of those ideals though, I think its reception is down to where people stand on soft rock power ballads

Yeah, it could be argued that we're seeing the same stories again and again with films and TV in general, but with Trek it became acute in the case of ENT, because in those first two seasons we really did get the same thing rolled out over and over, like the traditional Darmok/Enemy Mine/Lifeboat episode. That's why people, including myself, got bored of it pretty quickly having just come off of seven brain-numbing seasons of Voyager.
The also used the story in UFO and the was one in DS9 although 2 members of the same side.

Well, after all these years I have found someone else who actually liked the theme song!! My word. :clap:

It's not a bad song but just wasn't appropriate for Star Trek show, should have an orchestral score like DS9/Voyager or worded statement like OS/TNG

It's not a bad song but just wasn't appropriate for Star Trek show, should have an orchestral score like DS9/Voyager or worded statement like OS/TNG
Why? On the one hand we have people saying it was all far too conservative by repeating tried and tested formulas - and on the other it is lambasted for trying something different!

Nah it's one of the 'untouchables' for me like there must be a starship, captain, arch nemesis etc

Why? On the one hand we have people saying it was all far too conservative by repeating tried and tested formulas - and on the other it is lambasted for trying something different!
I thought that song was pretty conservative, bland MOR soft rock of the cheese variety for old fogies ... I'd have preferred orchestral/cello/electronic or almost anything else to the rubbish they went with

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom