Entering the world of Atmos

kevshed

Hi all,

Due to a likely processor upgrade, i'm likely to be looking at how i can benefit from Atmos sometime soon - though i'm a little sceptical due to my speaker placement. (which is fixed)

I have a reasonably small room - so my current surrounds are in ceiling speakers. I'm not able to put the rears in the ideal behind position due to the room shape etc. It's also not really viable for me to add more speakers to the room without major re-dec issues :) - I will do it one day, when the opportunity presents itself, but that won't be anytime soon.

Without changing my 5.1 speaker placement, am i likely to see any benefit? or is there any creative configuration i could do to use the existing celiings as Atmos, but without the surround channels.... I think i'm answering my own questions in my head as i type this, but thought i'd ask, assuming i can't be the only one moving from 5.1 to Atmos in a domestic environment :)

Sometimes i hate progress :p

Cheers,
Kev

gibbsy

Having in ceiling speakers as surrounds is far from ideal in an Atmos set up, surrounds should be just above head height. If you have in ceiling surrounds and in ceiling Atmos then all the sound is eminating from the same plain. I would stick with 5.1 until you can improve the surround placement.

kevshed

Having in ceiling speakers as surrounds is far from ideal in an Atmos set up, surrounds should be just above head height. If you have in ceiling surrounds and in ceiling Atmos then all the sound is eminating from the same plain. I would stick with 5.1 until you can improve the surround placement.

Agree - that's the plan unless some bright spark on the forum can provide an alternative :) ... it's a long shot I know!

To be fair, I've always been more than happy with 5.1, perhaps ignorance Is bliss.

kevshed

DodgeTheViper

Dont do it just because its available or your equipment will allow you to do it. Thats a mistake a lot of people make.
If you're going to do it, do it reasonably well or don't bother. Don't make a hash of it just because you can.

;)

kevshed

Hahaha yes, totally agree. Wise words sir.

DodgeTheViper

It's something that does actually need a bit of thought rather than just jumping in. There's plenty of threads kicking around on the subject, mine included.

The Dolby guidelines should be the point of reference. Yes they are guidelines so some deviation would be ok, just be careful with how much deviation you want to introduce. Pity you're so far away from me.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom