Entered the World of Home Cinema

T

Tezdread

Hey all,

I said I'd be back to give you an update and I've just bought me first AV Receiver setup so here's the low down...

Originally I'd bought a Grundig, sub woofer with built in AMP and 5 speakers. The TV & DVD plugged direct into the sub/amp via phono leads so I guess this was only analog, the sound was ok at best.

So, the upgrade...

I've gone for the Sharp SD-AT1000H, 1-BIT Digital Home Cinema from Richer Sounds £200.

Setup was easy, all the speakers, sub woofer and cables are colour coded and it took about 30 minutes with routing the wires around the room.

The AVR has optical and digital inputs and I have my DVD player connected via the optical input leaving the digital for my PC. There are another 3 audio inputs via phono leads so for my set up this is enough. There's also FM & AM radio and an arial for each although I haven't tested this yet.

The sub woofer is a huge box that provides a LOT of bass, and as the sub woofer is located at the bottom of the device the floor boards really vibrate! The 5 speakers deliver good clear sound from all devices and overall the sound is great. I must have played the DOLBY pre-movie intro about 5 times :) Playing DVD's is far better via the optical, which is great because I was a little dubiuos wheter or not I'd really be able to tell the difference.

Overall, for a budget all in one set up for the Home Cinema newbie I can't fault it! Just need to get the rear speaker stands so that all the speakers are the correct distance apart...

Then the tweaking starts :D

You'll be upgrading within a month, not saying anything about your purchase, it's just the bug you catch here!!!

Welcome and enjoy the system before you catch the bug

Leave the forum now or ensure you have a good overdraft faccility!:D

Originally posted by Stellavision
Leave the forum now or ensure you have a good overdraft faccility!:D

I couldn't agree more, watch out!! It is almost an addiction!!

ROFLMFAO!!

I think I had better shut up now before I spend Tezdread out of house and home :lesson:

:smashin:

IMHO I would change the optical connection from your dvd to a coaxial connection. I feel the sound is better from them as there is less processing done with coax.
IE.
Optical:
sounds in -electrical-conversion-light-conversion-electrical- sound out

Coaxial:
sounds in electrical-electrical-electrical sounds out.

ok

Then we have better speaker cables all round, vibration isolation for the amp and dvd player, putting spikes on the sub if it sits on a carpet and/or 2p's under the spikes if on hard floor or on a paving slab to stop the vibrations going everywhere, quality/rgb only scart cable.

Then it gets worse and you want to upgrade the whole thing. Nice seperates with floor standers and a SVS sub:D, very happy credit card suplier/bank manager, scared cat and ****** off WAF/neighbours.

What ever you do I hope it brings you years of pleasure.

Originally posted by Dfour
IMHO I would change the optical connection from your dvd to a coaxial connection. I feel the sound is better from them as there is less processing done with coax.

Ah! I checked the cables, and I'd got them confused by name but it's the coaxial connected to the dvd. I haven't tested the other with dvd's, wasn't sure I'd be able to tell the difference.

There are a few preset sound levels but no control over individual speakers, bass, treble etc which I think is the first thing I'd like to remedy. Maybe I should have done a bit more research? But as I was on a budget it was a bit more like get what I can for the money in my pocket at the time.

Ideally, I'd like to connect a graphic equaliser into the AVR but don't know if this is A. possible or B. not worth doing or...or...? How would I get more control over the sound other than buying a new AVR?

Originally posted by Tezdread

Ideally, I'd like to connect a graphic equaliser into the AVR but don't know if this is A. possible or B. not worth doing or...or...? How would I get more control over the sound other than buying a new AVR?

Thats it................:devil: ................you're DOOMED.
Thinking about upgrades and add ons already.

Get ready to spend, spend, spend.

It starts with, ....i'd like......then it's.......i might......then.........i will.......and then.......I MUST.

You poor fool.....you should of escaped when you had the chance......:zonked:

yes but I like it here :rotfl: :rotfl:

So is it possible to add a grafx EQ to the input on an AV?

Hiya there tezdread,

Welcome to the wonderful world of bank loans and overdrafts.
With regards to question in your last post :- WHY....???

There should be no need for you to add any form of EQ to your system, plus I think (correct me if I'm wrong), a graphic equalizer will only work on an analog, not digital source, plus any additional piece of equipment wired in will invariably add some sort of degradation to the sound (why do you think HIGH END stereo amps etc have not got tone controls etc etc......?)

Have you set up the correct speaker distances from the menu on the AVR..? This when done correctly can make all the difference to the sound. With regards to the question on how to get more control over the sound :- I'm afraid to say it may be a case of "what you see is what you get" .

But don't worry, soon you'll be moving the Sharp system to the bedroom and start the long and painful (on the wallet) journey to AV nirvana called UPGRADITIS...........:D :D :D

TTFN

I need a cure and soon :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom