1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enter the Matrix - played it

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Gary D, May 15, 2003.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I played it last night (xbox version) and i have to say that - well i dont know really!! It looked nice, but the controls are a bit nasty. presentation is quite nice though.

Lots of running around kicking people and mad gun play.

anyone else played it yet?

Gary

2. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah played it (ps2 version)
    I thought it was thoroughly underwhelming...
    It probably included some of the dodgiest animations I have ever seen (her going up ladders).
    I thought the controls where unintuitive to say the least and the graphics where bland.
    We had more fun playing the hacking part than the actual game ;)

3. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    i think thats what i wanted to say this morning (but i was too tired for my brain the work).

From the 3rd person perspective its like Lara Croft never happened, love it or loath it is beyond question that Lara's animation was superb.

Gary

4. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I played the XBox version and the controls are pretty duff. There are a few control setups to choose from, but they don't contain all the controls available. I mean, type "a" lets you lock on to targets. Type "c" lets you side-step. But if you choose type C, there's no button for locking on. If you choose type A you can't side-step.

Personally I think that's just pants. The second analog stick is completely wasted - it just toggles between first & 3rd person views no matter which direction you push it. And in 3rd person view there's no way to move. Unless you choose control setup C, then the side-step buttons work. But only the side-step buttons.

Talk about confusing... If the controls were OK, it'd be a fun game. But as it is, it's just a pain in the back-side. I keep forgetting and moving the right analog stick expecting it to sidestep, but instead it switches to 1st person mode and I'm stuck cos I don't have side-step on my control option, so I get killed while trying to switch back to 3rd person mode.

The bullet time / focus thing is cool, and the fighting moves look great (including the animations) on the xbox version. It's also hi-def - 720p at least (i never tried it set to 1080i).

Overall, a good game spoilt by badly thought-out controls

5. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have completed it i thought it was naff

6. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's a typical quick, thoughtless, mass-market movie cash-in IMO. Games like this sold 4m in pre-orders (with nobody having even read a review or seen trailers for it!) while proper games like Zelda, Ico, or Monkey Ball don't sell anywhere near as much.

I'll certainly never play this game. If that means I miss part of The Matrix storyline then fine, I can live with that :)

7. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very disappointed in Shiny Entertainment as they've come out with some class stuff in the past (MDK anyone?), but this is utter tripe! Bland graphics, repetitive gameplay, all you seem to do is randomly mash the kick and punch buttons to take enemies out. The slow mo thing doesn't seem to do anything, it's like it's there coz it looks cool, occasisionally you might get lucky and actually pull off a move with the slow-mo thing. Overal the game feels a rushed mess. Shame on you Shiny!

8. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed... and it had quite a bit of potential...
    Oh well, my attention has shifted anyways towards Half Life 2 after seeing the spectacular footage from E3 this afternoon ...

9. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Had a quick go on the ps2 version in HMV, was hugely unimpressed, very repetitive. Nothing special at all. :thumbsdow