Enter The Dragon

Has anyone got Enter The Dragon yet?
I have it on dvd and being an old film it's not that great looking.
I love this film but just wondering how it's looking in HD before i get it.
Thanks.

scartlead

Uruloke

Yeah I've been waiting to hear/read reports on the quality of this HD-DVD too...

Uruloke

182 said:
Decent review, thanks for that. Guess it's worth a go then. Such a cool film, it has to be owned.
That's my inclination, hope you don't mind me using you as a guinea pig though! Let me know how it looks! :smashin:

MattDJ

Standard Member
I got it the other day, havent had a chance to watch it tho... if someone doesnt beat me to it, i will let you know.

Q

Quickbeam

This title is one of several Warner 1080p HD-DVDs encoded from 1080i masters that are known to have inverse telecine errors.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=683474

Warner has apparently pulled all new releases that were produced from interlaced masters and will be doing new 1080p transfers from scratch.

By all accounts the picture on ETD is still very good!

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't worry too much about a handful of 1080i masters, most people have still enjoyed the quality of the picture but Warner have rightly killed the practice dead.

Uruloke

Anyone watched it yet? It's up on movietyme's same day dispatch page, I might just cave in and get it if it's still there tomorrow...

pj

its great can fault the pic, it looks miles better than the last dvd release im really pleased with it tried to get my mates 2 watch it with me last night but it was a no go!:mad:

Uruloke

Just ordered it from Movietyme now, only works out about 65p more than if I order from Amazon with my 10% discount and expedited shipping which would take over a week to get here! An extra 65p is worth it to have it tomorrow for the weekend! :clap:

R

Roughneck1

Uruloke said:
Just ordered it from Movietyme now, only works out about 65p more than if I order from Amazon with my 10% discount and expedited shipping which would take over a week to get here! An extra 65p is worth it to have it tomorrow for the weekend! :clap:

<... runs off to put price up> :)

Uruloke

Finally got hold of this sucker today, and suck it does! Picture quality is bloody awful! And don't give me that "It's an old print" spiel, because old prints aren't pixelated! I was expecting natural film grain, even a softer image because the print is old, bit not pixelation all over the place! I'm going to borrow my brothers DVD of this and compare the two images.

I've read that this HD-DVD has been made from a 1080i master. If all the ones that are sourced from 1080i masters look this bad (like The Fugitive) then I'm staying away from them. Warner have stated that they have already stopped doing it and I can see why. The quality is no where near as good as my other discs.

Honestly it's appalling!

pj

Uruloke said:
Finally got hold of this sucker today, and suck it does! Picture quality is bloody awful! And don't give me that "It's an old print" spiel, because old prints aren't pixelated! I was expecting natural film grain, even a softer image because the print is old, bit not pixelation all over the place! I'm going to borrow my brothers DVD of this and compare the two images.

I've read that this HD-DVD has been made from a 1080i master. If all the ones that are sourced from 1080i masters look this bad (like The Fugitive) then I'm staying away from them. Warner have stated that they have already stopped doing it and I can see why. The quality is no where near as good as my other discs.

Honestly it's appalling!

looks great here:confused: its obviously nowhere near as sharp as the latest movies that are on hd-dvd but it is a significant improvement over the dvd (upscaled through the a1) the only fault i have with it is that it doesnt have the zing in contrast terms but that was how it was shot! (same on the dvd)there is alot more detail and it has the "film look" u could almost think u were there at the actual premiere! even though it probably didnt look and sound that good at the time:eek: as i told my mates who generally dont know if i just showed them a HD version- hd is only as good as the film/video it was shot on, as for the 1080 problems noted elsewhere they are there, but i can only see them if i zoom in, its fine if watched normally on a 100" screen

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom