• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Enter the Dragon HD DVD UK edition

macguffin

Established Member
Hi evryone, just got Enter the Dragon HD DVD UK edition (I think) of these forums and wondered do UK HD DVD's have FBI warnings on them. I thought UK HD DVD's would have a british warning or have things changed.
thx
macguffin

Spoonhead

Prominent Member
The only UK HD-DVD I've bought was Harry Potter, (not yet out in the states), that had the FBI warning as well.

Gazza

Mark Costello

Editorial Contributor
Ditto both my UK copies of Potter and Superman II: The Donner Cut. However, my UK-sourced Studio Canal HD-DVDs (T2, Rambo, First Blood and Total Recall) don't have the FBI logo on. Are the neutral US-based studios studios just saving costs and using the same disks as on sale in the US, while the Studio Canal ones won't ever go on sale in the States? Do the UK-sourced Paramount HD-DVDs have the FBI logo on?

Mark

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
I'm tempted to pick this up for £4.99 at HMV online, but was wondering if the disc is identical to the US version or not?

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
Are the neutral US-based studios studios just saving costs and using the same disks as on sale in the US, while the Studio Canal ones won't ever go on sale in the States? Do the UK-sourced Paramount HD-DVDs have the FBI logo on?

Mark
Yep, Warners use the exact same discs as the US (pressed with UK ratings on the disc itself obviously) wherever possible, hence the FBI warning on most of them. In fact, most new US Warner Blu-rays are stacked with foreign language audio and subtitles (and from day one they've been region-free), reflecting their one-disc-for-all policy.

Studio Canal stuff is usually licensed for Europe only, and there are different distributors for the different countries therein (Optimum now have the UK rights IIRC).

Universal nearly always re-encoded their HD DVD discs for overseas releases to cram on as many foreign languages as possible, losing the lossless audio of the US version (where applicable) in the process. Hopefully this will happen less with the extra capacity of Blu-ray at their disposal.

As for Paramount, I've no idea. The only non-US HD DVD of theirs that I bought came from Australia, and I can't remember what that had on it.

brian s

Distinguished Member
I've found a lot of HD releases have the FBI warning on so they're using the same master to cut costs.

Cheers
Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom