Enter the Dragon 40th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Review

I think all versions are the uncut version these days.

I think all versions are the uncut version these days.
Thank you. Is there any difference in PQ from the standard Blu Ray and the 40th anniversary Blu Ray?

Thank you. Is there any difference in PQ from the standard Blu Ray and the 40th anniversary Blu Ray?
There are still some issues with the 40th anniversary (see comments from mentasm above), but it is much better than the original release (which was a very, very early Blu-ray title).

There are still some issues with the 40th anniversary (see comments from mentasm above), but it is much better than the original release (which was a very, very early Blu-ray title).
Thanks. I wanted to check before buying. So the 40th anniversary edition has the best presentation.

Slightly better overall, but the price if you can find it in the UK isn't worth it especially due to losing some image. The standard Bluray is perfectly fine and significantly cheaper. The 40th box looks nicer, but I prefer the basic Bluray for overall watching.

Weird is the 40th edition out of print? Everyone seems to either be sold out or selling for a very high price.

Im pretty sure in his book, Robert Clouse confirmed it was filmed in 16mm then blown up to 35mm (IMDb states otherwise)....thus the inherent grain.

Last edited:
AVF's Alan McDermott reviewed it here (that old link on page 1 is dead).

8w0H4tu.jpg

ZpzWqym.jpg

This is definitely OOP but managed to get it from CeX here for £13.50 delivered. I forgot to buy this so was surprised when I seen it was OOP.

I see it's missing the 100min Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey which was on the US and Australia old releases.

Pretty sure this'll pop up on UHD soon enough like several of his other films. Can they squeeze a different look from a 16mm film -yup, just look at the Germany release of Hooper's TCM.

Bn3ya9j.jpg

I got my 40th anniversary edition of Enter The Dragon. I really enjoyed it but I thought it might of been in Cantonese or something the dubbing was really bad. I assume the film was originally shot in several languages and then looped so maybe that's the best we'll get. I noticed some dodgy Cantonese looping in Crouching Tiger too. Picture-wise comparing it to the old Blu-ray there's a big improvement in stability and colour.

Incidentally, those interested in A Warrior's Journey should note it's also on the 2004 UK 2DVD UPC: 7321900286336 and released separately and has the commentary from the director John Little UPC: 7321900372756 and also as a boxset with ETD UPC: 7321900221887. Those are really old discs.

VXp2oJf.jpg

8L6VyaU.jpg

9spW2Kj.jpg

I may have seen that already or maybe I'm thinking about the newer I Am Bruce Lee which I have on Blu-ray.

wJhjyrh.jpg

See Amazon are doing that collection for £30.00 here

Review of the set over @ asianactioncinema.co.uk

K5oHU1o.jpg

From that review it looks a pretty good release.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I don't own the set.

There's lots of views on all of the releases, best thing is you buy that set and let us all know :D

I'm thinking about getting it and dumping the 40th Warner as they look exactly the same and I'd like to see those other films (no memory of seeing them apart from clips).

I got my 40th anniversary edition of Enter The Dragon. I really enjoyed it but I thought it might of been in Cantonese or something the dubbing was really bad. I assume the film was originally shot in several languages and then looped so maybe that's the best we'll get. I noticed some dodgy Cantonese looping in Crouching Tiger too.

They used to make the Chinese martial arts films silently in those days and dubbed the various languages and sound effects on later. ETD was shot with sound but I daresay quite a few of the actors didn't speak English and they would have been dubbed.

Bri

[QUOTE="IGC, post: 2I got my 40th anniversary edition of Enter The Dragon. I really enjoyed it but I thought it might of been in Cantonese or something the dubbing was really bad. I assume the film was originally shot in several languages and then looped so maybe that's the best we'll get. I noticed some dodgy Cantonese looping in Crouching Tiger too. Picture-wise comparing it to the old Blu-ray there's a big improvement in stability and colour.

Incidentally, those interested in A Warrior's Journey should note it's also on the 2004 UK 2DVD UPC: 7321900286336 and released separately and has the commentary from the director John Little UPC: 7321900372756 and also as a boxset with ETD UPC: 7321900221887. Those are really old discs.

I may have seen that already or maybe I'm thinking about the newer I Am Bruce Lee which I have on Blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

It was shot in English and actors looped their voices post production (Mr Han couldn't speak English along with a few others) . The movie was also filmed in 16mm and blown up to 35mm...a little fact that often gets overlooked...thus the very grainy look. There are also pictures of the infamous bottle breaking scene that went wrong (despite several peopel saying it never happened...they've obviously never seen this book). All the information is in Robert Clouse's Book...very informative....but very hard to find. Overall, a very troubled production....and then your major star dies!!!

Last edited:
I must have been around 10 when Lee died and I can still remember the news it was as if Elvis or the Queen had died -I think in this case it helped the film massively and of course cemented the poor guy's legend.

I see they've released some UHDs in France:

hZxRV12.jpg

Anyone seen those? Very little information around English is listed as a soundtrack (although 7.1 so gawd knows what they've done).

RH1mBXo.jpg

I very much doubt these have been remastered... I suspect up scaling and psuedo 7.1....as you say, it'll be interesting to hear people's thoughts...

You're gonna need a bigger boat:

5va2hg0.jpg

Contents:
w2uMRYI.jpg

I have a load of those (including The Matrix from Japan) but Enter the Dragon was the only one that didn't have a DVD version too AFAIK. That gold coloured book is an amazing look at the film and puts the pathetic crap they bundled with the Blu-ray to shame.

Argos instore and on eBay have that Medium Rare collection for £30 www.argos.co.uk/product/1309700 and www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333298560532

That's why Amazon are still @£30.00 -they were carpetbagging as usual. Not a good deal.

Nice set from Australia:
t3D2RXV.jpg

ttMcKEZ.jpg

hiD6B7u.jpg

1pr0oaN.jpg

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom