Enter the Dragon 40th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water

Reviewing Enter the Dragon is as much about reviewing a seminal moment in my childhood as it is about reviewing a seminal martial arts movie. A movie of such cultural significance that in 2004 it was selected for preservation in the US National Film Registry. Enter the Dragon defined martial arts movies for the western world, opening a doorway to Chinese cinema that had remained closed, to all but a few, for so long. It effortlessly bridged the gap between western and eastern cinema, while simultaneously propelling its star, Bruce Lee, to the highest echelons of worldwide fame. The fact that Bruce died only days before the film's release imbued it with a special ingredient; something intangible and ethereal, as though we were witnessing a man at the absolute pinnacle of what was possible for one man to achieve. So profound...

Read the full review...

Last edited by a moderator:

The Eggman72

Good review but dont think its worth the upgrade of the previous blu I have which I paid £2 for..IF I see it cheap I may pick it up just for cross comparison..It would have been nice if you could have done that in the review..And I agree it could do with a full scale restoration....

Last edited:

DrGekko

Great review... can't wait to watch this with my son when he's old enough - he started Wing Chun a year ago (he's only 10 now)... This movie must be part of every young boy's education. :D

What I'm sure most of us would like to know in particular, is which of the special features are brand new for this edition?

I'm wondering whether the 50th edition will be any better... my son will be old enough by then! Lol.

Last edited:

mentasm

Distinguished Member
Annoying thing about this release is how much it's been cropped compared to the DVD and previous BDs. There's a lot of picture info missing from all four sides.

Colours do look better overall though. The purity of whites is especially noticeable compared to the bluer older versions. The tweaking as sacrificed some shadow detail, but not much.

Did the previous UK BD have the terrible aliasing issue that the German disc had? I'd assumed so, since it was a Warner release and I expected them to use the same master globally. I know the HK disc was better in that respect.

DrGekko

Annoying thing about this release is how much it's been cropped compared to the DVD and previous BDs. There's a lot of picture info missing from all four sides.

Drat! Won't be getting this then! You've just saved me some cash! :smashin:

The Eggman72

Drat! Won't be getting this then! You've just saved me some cash! :smashin:
Snap !!! the previous BD release looks fine and for what I paid I aint in a rush to change for an inferior version..

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Cropped?! Oh dear. Definitely playing the waiting game now then. What the hell did they crop it for - I thought we were way past that nonsense. :mad:

The Eggman72

mentasm

Distinguished Member
We're not talking cropping a scope film to 16x9 here, but there's a fair bit missing the sides compared to previous versions (and a bit at the top/bottom). This illustrates it well enough.

Alan McDermott

Thanks for the kind replies.

In terms of the cropping, you're right, no doubting that - but all I would say is this -

"Don't concentrate on the finger, or you'll miss alllll the heavenly glory"

:)

simonblue

Distinguished Member
We're not talking cropping a scope film to 16x9 here, but there's a fair bit missing the sides compared to previous versions (and a bit at the top/bottom). This illustrates it well enough.

Can see it comparing both version,but because its an action base film,with most of the action centre based,not sure how much it will spoil your enjoyment of the the film,but why they did it :confused:

Alan McDermott

Can see it comparing both version,but because its an action base film,with most of the action centre based,not sure how much it will spoil your enjoyment of the the film,but why they did it :confused:

can only guess that the edges of the film were more damaged than expected I suppose.

Have to say, it certainly doesn't spoil anything in terms of enjoyment - the film genuinely has never looked better! :)

Bull:censored:, Mr. Alan-man

:p

:rotfl:

mentasm

Distinguished Member
Not sure whether it has anything to do with damage or not; the old releases weren't affected. It's a phenomenon that 'crops' up quite a lot these days ;)

The Eggman72

That was from 2.35 to 1.85 some films are shot in open matt in which you just get more picture.:)
It wouldnt be so bad if that was the case and you gained but on this occasion you actually lost lots of information...

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
bruce lee: a warriors journey (100 mins) is missing from this set, and i think a few other bits and bobs

The Eggman72

bruce lee: a warriors journey (100 mins) is missing from this set, and i think a few other bits and bobs

Its also missing from the 2007 UK bluray release...:(:(

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
what version of the film is included with this set?

Simon F

Distinguished Member
I’m digging up an old thread here but which is the best version to pick up? Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li