Ensuring maximum ping speed for my PS3

Squirmy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place or has been done before, hopefully there's no harm in asking though!! basically my problem is as follows:-

Like many people who play Call of duty I'm obsessed with ensuring my internet speed is sufficient to allow a decent standard of play (i.e. be able to blame myself for dying)
I'm extremely poor when it comes to being technically minded but I'll try and explain what I've done after many hours of research and failed attempts (please don't laugh!!) and see if anyone can offer any suggestions on what I've done wrong or could do better.

Firstly I tested my internet speed and ping speed on speedtest.net & pingtest.net at home. I tested these on my laptop which is connected wirelessly at thome. Although my download speed is only 2mbps, my ping speed test came back at 35ms which apparently is excellent and so everything was lookign good. Please note that I'm in a pretty poor broadband area and this about the best speed I can get. I'm currently on BT with a V2 home hub.

I then when to portforward.com and have port forwarded the appropriate ports for black ops and connected my PS3 with an ethernet cable. I have then assigned my PS3 to the DMZ??

Thing is, when i test my PS3 ping speed on the intenet it seems much worse than doing it on my laptop and although I'm not sure; I'm pretty confident that my gaming connection is laggy to say the least. Am I doing something wrong somewhere or is there more that can be done?

What ping are you getting for the PS3? be aware that lower numbers are better where ping is concerned. With a ping of 150ms for example, you would notice obvious latency issues when playing fast moving games online such as racing games or FPS games. Never take just one value either, as one minute your ping may be fine and then the next it may spike showing an unstable connection. Also be aware that ping will increase depending on where the server is located. The further away a server is, generally the ping will be higher so EU servers will give lower pings than US servers etc.

Last edited:
What ping are you getting for the PS3? be aware that lower numbers are better where ping is concerned. With a ping of 150ms for example, you would notice obvious latency issues when playing fast moving games online such as racing games or FPS games. Never take just one value either, as one minute your ping may be fine and then the next it may spike showing an unstable connection. Also be aware that ping will increase depending on where the server is located. The further away a server is, generally the ping will be higher so EU servers will give lower pings than US servers etc.

OK thanks for this, I think that may be part of my problem, I'll do a bit more research.

just to add....Ping on my laptop wired is 10ms, on the PS3 wired its between 30 and 40ms.

There is a thread somewhere on the forum where someone did a whole battery of tests that concluded that the network connection of a PS3 is quite "poor" compared to a laptop / PC when it comes to data transfer.

But I can only comment on my own findings - as above, but I do wish I could play COD on my laptop:laugh:
ISP is Virgin media:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom