Ensuite ideas

thedude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps I'm having my extension hopefully built this spring and trying to go over my ensuite and how best to do it.

It will be 2440mm wide
The door will be on the left on the way in on the opposite side to where the window will be (window will be centered).
I have a bit of depth to play with o could be 1600mm deep.
Thought's ideas and suggestions.

We bucked the trend and completely removed the en-suite window from our loft conversion plans. Every house in the area seems to have the same config. We instead went with an electric skylight and larger walk in shower area. I’ll often shower with the roof open and my fave tunes or a podcast playing over the ceiling speakers. Not sure this is of any use to you but I’m delighted with taking some time out and thinking a little outside of convention for our conversion.

We bucked the trend and completely removed the en-suite window from our loft conversion plans. Every house in the area seems to have the same config. We instead went with an electric skylight and larger walk in shower area. I’ll often shower with the roof open and my fave tunes or a podcast playing over the ceiling speakers. Not sure this is of any use to you but I’m delighted with taking some time out and thinking a little outside of convention for our conversion.
I would totally agree with you and have thought of this myself. But if u don't have a window where its going to be it will look odd as I'll have a rather large section of outside wall not in keeping with the area.

Aesthetically for a loft conversion it’s not an issue for us. No idea what your building area looks like. That said, if it’s something you want...who cares!

The planning department? :devil: :)

Hi peeps I'm having my extension hopefully built this spring and trying to go over my ensuite and how best to do it.

It will be 2440mm wide
The door will be on the left on the way in on the opposite side to where the window will be (window will be centered).
I have a bit of depth to play with o could be 1600mm deep.
Thought's ideas and suggestions.

It hard for me to imagine this in relation to you current set up as its useful to know if, the extension is going where a window already is a thus taking light from the room what is being extended.

Things to consider

Wiring for a light up wall mirror (amazing useful) over basin
Concealed cistern (depending of where the toilet is to be situated
If having tiles, maybe put in wiring for electric UFH
Short projection toilet can help save space, even just 10cm (I cant remember if part M applies but think it does re space around toilet
I do t think you have enough space for separate shower and bath but, I think you could have two basins
Don’t forget wiring for extractor (although you can get batter ones that auto turn on / off
I assume it’s single storey extension so roof light is good idea
My answer to what some people may call an overall dense wall without windows is to out several 5’ trees in large pots outside against the wall and, some external up / down lights as well
Glass door (type you can mist of have clear) to let more light into the original room.

Finally,most ensuites require the user to

Walk through the bedroom to get to the en-suite and then back into the bedroom to go to bed
Walk through the bedroom to get to the en-suite and the back into the bedroom to get up

This is silly regardless of whether you are going to or getting up from bed it’s makes much more sense to walk into the en-suite and then to bed or vice versa

Consider making the extension part of your bedroom and using some of the bedroom, where the entrance is as your ensuite

It will make the flow in and out better and makes much more sense. It is far better to have to walk through the en-suite to get to bed rather than the other way round

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the house plans. The wall in the bedroom near the bed won't be there. But our idea is to make a small walk in wardrobe area after the ensuite.

Attachments

• S_HOU_20_0690-FULL_PLANS-836369 (1).pdf
    167.1 KB · Views: 56
Here's the house plans. The wall in the bedroom near the bed won't be there. But our idea is to make a small walk in wardrobe area after the ensuite.

Thanks, I domt have a computer so can’t see them (iPad only)

I did edit my post at the end to add a bit of thought on the flow between an en-suite and a bedroom

So, the house is being extended at 1st storey level by (External measurements)

7937 x 2486 and

The space is to be used for a single bedroom and en-suite with the rest of the existing 1st storey layout to remain unchanged

So, the house is being extended at 1st storey level by (External measurements)

7937 x 2486 and

The space is to be used for a single bedroom and en-suite with the rest of the existing 1st storey layout to remain unchanged
That's correct, quick extension to add a new room because I can't keep it in my pants 😂😂😂

Looks good and, must be very exciting, and you will know exactly what you want and I am sure this is the best solution for you.

If I understand correctly the extension takes your house from

a 3 bed with one family bathroom to
a 4 bed with one family bathroom and one en-suite on the smallest bedroom (albeit there is a large amount of narrow space in the new bedroom

If it were me (but that’s why people,are different) I would think about

Making the new room (that has the bed in the drawing) an actual bedroom on its own (bring the partition wall that is next to the bed so it is on the LHS of the door that leads into the new extension. The knock through form the master bedroom to where the new en-suite is and use that area as a walk in wardrobe en-suite for the master.

or,

Make the room when the bed is a WFH office (very popular and value add) and just use the space next to the new en-suite for a single bed.

or

Make the room that has the bed in it the new family bathroom, use the new en-suite and space for just a single bed and bring the door to the master bedroom forward so the the family bathroom becomes the en-suite for the master

Like I say thought, the layout you have got probably suites your best it’s just that

An ensuite is best attached to the master, the new single bedroom and en-suite is quite long and probably quite a lot of space wasted

Our theory and what has happened so far.
Garage downstairs has been converted and is now our room but will be the home office games room!
My daughter has the larger room at the front and the two boys have the rooms at the back which have been altered slightly to allow two built in wardrobes (one for each room).

Now for the new room which will be ours. The bed won't be that way round it will be on the long way.
Why have we taken this room, well the original main room is an awkward shape and really hard to actually make a good space to be. So we wanted a small space we can make a room little seating area and then wardrobe and ensuite. We have no plans to move but want to have our own little fresh space.

Kinda idea so far

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-13-22-30-32-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-01-13-22-30-32-58.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 28
most ensuites require the user to

Walk through the bedroom to get to the en-suite and then back into the bedroom to go to bed
Walk through the bedroom to get to the en-suite and the back into the bedroom to get up

This is silly regardless of whether you are going to or getting up from bed it’s makes much more sense to walk into the en-suite and then to bed or vice versa

I thought that was the whole meaning of 'en-suite', being a private bathroom attached to a bedroom.

Looking at your plan, my first thoughts are to make the extension into two single bedrooms, one front, one rear and a bathroom in the middle loosing minimal area to access, then convert the two bedrooms at the back of the house to a master with en suite and dressing room.

I've spent a good time decorating all three other rooms and setting them up for the kids.
And also where the access to the bedrooms would be it would make one really awkward to get into to make it a decent size, as there is only a small space to the ear of the house after the door or arch would have been put in.

I thought that was the whole meaning of 'en-suite', being a private bathroom attached to a bedroom

Definitely

I have always felt that its better to arrange the en-suite as the area you walk into first rather than walking into the bedroom first then making your way to the ensuite

If you think about en-suite use, (last thing at night / first thing in the morning) much better to have the entrance to the private area being the en-suite bit, rather then the bedroom bit

Normally, you get up in the morning, make you way to the en-suite, then make you way back into the bedroom and then into the house

Much better to get up in the morning, make your way to the en-suite and then without having to go back into the bedroom make your way into the main house directly from the en-suite. Same on a night as well

But if I walked straight into the ensuite I'd not be able to have a lock on the door? I mean I like some privacy.

Ensuite was done at the front of the house because of the South facing garden allowing more light into the bedroom

Definitely

I have always felt that its better to arrange the en-suite as the area you walk into first rather than walking into the bedroom first then making your way to the ensuite

If you think about en-suite use, (last thing at night / first thing in the morning) much better to have the entrance to the private area being the en-suite bit, rather then the bedroom bit

Normally, you get up in the morning, make you way to the en-suite, then make you way back into the bedroom and then into the house

Much better to get up in the morning, make your way to the en-suite and then without having to go back into the bedroom make your way into the main house directly from the en-suite. Same on a night as well

It causes many problems,
What if somebody is using the bathroom and somebody else requires access to the bedroom?
You would need also need two doors within the bathroom.
I don't think there are too many bedrooms where it would be more than a few strides and rarely an inconvenience.
Sorry, I really don't see any positives from that idea at all.

It causes many problems,
What if somebody is using the bathroom and somebody else requires access to the bedroom?
You would need also need two doors within the bathroom.
I don't think there are too many bedrooms where it would be more than a few strides and rarely an inconvenience.
Sorry, I really don't see any positives from that idea at all

Good points actually, works well for us (as long as toilet is covered) and assumes the bedroom / en-suite is used by a couple as well

I’ll try a get a picture up later to give an idea, how ours works

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom