Enough space for my case?

Kootuu

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking to build my first gaming PC in many years. I'm going down the HTPC case route, specifically the Silverstone GD04 which fits nicely in my converted fireplace (all my AV kit fits in here). The only thing I'm not 100% sure about yet is if there will be sufficient ventilation space to stop it from overheating.

After measuring it all I'm going to have the following gaps between the case and the walls:

• Back = 42mm
  • Left/Right = 85mm
  • Top = 16mm
The Silverstone GD04 appears to pull in air from both sides and push it out the back & top. I'm planning on running the following inside of it:

• Asus P8Z77-M Pro
  • OCZ 500w ModXStream Pro
  • Intel i3 2120
  • Sapphire HD 6870 1GB
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB
  • SSD or SATA HDD, not sure which yet
I'll be using the stock heatsink with the CPU, but would I be better getting something else to keep the temps down as much as possible due to the confined space I'm running this in?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
The Zalman ZM450-GS power supply is also worth a look. A SSD would make an ideal boot drive but it is not necessary, so you could always buy one at a later date.

Thanks for the reply, do you know if the Zalman would run cooler than the OCZ? Basically just want to make the machine run as cool as possible (within reason/budget) due to the confined space.

Well PSU fans are for keeping the PSU cool not the case and its components. So I doubt it will make much difference which PSU you go for, it will not affect the temperature of other components. Also due to the confined space a third party CPU cooler would be a good idea, as the stock ones are terrible :p How much are you willing to spend on the cooler?

If you can go for a fanless cooler, that's even better. And I thought the case height is 150mm?

That cooler seems a nice option, looking at the dimensions too it should fit into the Silverstone GD04 without a problem.

Yup case height is 150mm but if you put in an optical drive it overlaps with the CPU so you get limited on height. Bit of a compromise but one I can take :)

Last edited:
Great stuff, will definitely take a look at those.

That's sufficient space and it is a pretty big case so you're unlikely to have any cooling problems with the stock cooler. I'd be cautious about a completely passive cooler, a fan does make a large difference.

Yea I've read a passive cooler might not be the best option, I might try the stock cooler and see how I go. Main thing was the space around the case but good to know it isn't a ridiculous idea sticking the case in that space :D

Your problem is going to be the 6870 that will be the main producer of heat. the i3 cannot be overclocked so will produce some heat but not a great amount. A fanless Cpu cooler would be a bad idea IMHO. Make sure to get a GFx card that exhausts the hot air out the back, and go for an active Cpu cooler. And fit as many case fans as poss, to exit all the hot air. GLWTB.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll have a look for an external exhaust card as I believe the Sapphire I had in mind does not do this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom