Enough is enough... dont you think

Cyrusgsxr

Established Member
Reaction score
Jan 2021 Covid 3 lock down city , with the imminent closure looming on the BBC tv licence corruption theft issue ,should it be the case that all digital media suppliers should or possibly even could justify 17- 22% price increases whilst families struggle to feed their children .?

Dunno about you guys but I actually fell asleep during a 2 hour wait to speak to a person where I want to cancel my Virgin media account which is out of contract after a mere 17 years , £3.50 per Month increase for broadband Only is shockingly expensive given inflation is only 1.5% Netflix have also announced a 17% increase ..

I think its time people stand up and say enough is enough ..

None of those services are compulsory. There are other things to do other than watch TV.

Hi

Just calm down and cut the cord.
Not regretted giving $ky the finger and walking away. With Netflix and Prime at the moment but may give one of them the heave-ho soon

Two words mate. Captive audience.
I agree we should all stand up and say no but how do we do that. There's so many stuck at home and I can't see it getting better for another few months and people wish to be entertained. I read an interesting article this afternoon regarding a lot of people in the past 10 months who have stopped watching their TV's and have enjoyed their life's better by taking long walks and getting closer to friends & family, albeit from a distance.

Hi

Just calm down and cut the cord.
Not regretted giving $ky the finger and walking away. With Netflix and Prime at the moment but may give one of them the heave-ho soon

I have Amazon Prime, Netflix and a host of other streaming services and to be honest I could easily live without all of them. As long as I've got the internet connected to my my TV/sound system I'm happy

Agree the price rises are exorbitant but these services are a luxury, not a necessity. People watch too much tv as it is, time to cancel some.

Cut the cord... there are plenty of other cheaper options...

Most things can be streamed by legitimate and illegitimate services.

Yep, captive audience makes sense, people spend an amount on leisure, at the moment they can't do much so media companies try to get a bigger share.
Making hay while the sun isn't shining so to speak.

I will admit.
whilst of course all companies want to make money
Whilst the whole world is struggling, millions? of businesses are dying, people losing their jobs by the 1000's.
It does perhaps show a lack of understanding to think, "Oh, we'll just slap our normal 5% rise on our stuff as usual" during this time.
Perhaps those who are not affected should re-think and be happy that are not in the type of company that's being destroyed.
So again, I understand, profits, profits, profits, but some consideration during an unprecedented/exceptional time would not go amiss, just once.
IMHO.

Agree the price rises are exorbitant but these services are a luxury, not a necessity. People watch too much tv as it is, time to cancel some.

Yep, will have to go back to having sex instead! ;) :D

I was thinking about thie earlier, and maybe having some sort of organised act of many people cancelling their account at once to protest the hikes in prices.
Maybe it would work, or maybe not.

Its easy to say to cut the cord when he cannot get through to someone to do it lol.
Which may be the case when masses of people are trying to cancel the service at the same time in protest.

Struggling to understand why a premium paid service such as Netflix is even on the table when these people are struggling to feed their kids?

It’s a luxury not a necessity

...It does perhaps show a lack of understanding to think, "Oh, we'll just slap our normal 5% rise on our stuff as usual" during this time...
Maybe predicting subscribers leaving due to change/loss of income, they've put the prices up to generate a buffer of funds.

Struggling to understand why a premium paid service such as Netflix is even on the table when these people are struggling to feed their kids?

It’s a luxury not a necessity
4 kids under 18 you try living without Netflix and how would you keep them entertained during current situation ?

4 kids under 18 you try living without Netflix and how would you keep them entertained during current situation ?

Books, board games, exercise, painting, learning, playing an instrument, baking, etc.

So many answers to the question, but as I don’t have 4 kids under 18 I couldn’t possibly offer one. You hatred for the BBC is well documented so I will not suggest that.......nope I’m stuck as I can’t relate to your situation.

What did you do before Netflix/Prime etc to entertain them?

Maybe predicting subscribers leaving due to change/loss of income, they've put the prices up to generate a buffer of funds.
I disagree to me its a post Brexit phenomenom and guaranteed to carry on through out all family expenditure be that entertainment , classed as a luxury by some , or food classed as a necessity

Looks at OPs gear.....

You're doing fine.

I disagree to me its a post Brexit phenomenom and guaranteed to carry on through out all family expenditure be that entertainment , classed as a luxury by some , or food classed as a necessity
You‘ve lost me;

In a short amount of time you‘ve covered (in a rather scatter-gun approach;

Brexit
TV Licencing
Broadband price increases (17 years out of contract)
Falling asleep on the phone
Netflix price increases
Hungry children

So many answers to the question, but as I don’t have 4 kids under 18 I couldn’t possibly offer one. You hatred for the BBC is well documented so I will not suggest that.......nope I’m stuck as I can’t relate to your situation.

If they'd have had Netflix or Prime.... they'd have binge watched box sets and not have been banging out 4 kids...!!!

I don't have any kids my only son is 33 I'm simply raising the point via a Hypothetical as to why should digital media be exposed to exorbitant price hikes during a time when it would be relied upon heavily by a large percentage of the population who may not have other options at their disposal ?

so please forgive me . But yes you are correct I have a distain for the tv licence and any subsequent subscription to digital media services having previously used XBMC - Kodi which worked flawlessly up until the corporations strangled it .

my personal situation is I currently pay £30 a month for broadband . I don't mind that as I'm used to the cost , however that cost has remained static for over 2 years and to be faced with an increase of the sudden magnitude is beyond comprehension given the service is worse than before , thats all im saying I just want people to talk about it and ask the question why ?

12.5 million customers x £3.50 = increase £430000750 am i missing something ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom