Enola Holmes (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Only getting 1080p with this despite it being in Dolby vision.
Same as star trek discovery then, and godzilla animated. DV isn't a guaranteed 4k showing.

I got dv on my apple TV 4k box but no atmos only 2 channel stereo

Very odd

I got Dolby vision, but it was 1080p Dolby vision, as for audio I got atmos. This was via tvs internal app.

Anyway someone on here told me it’s because the movie was acquired late by Netflix from Warner Brothers?, it was originally going to be released in cinemas, but due to covid. So that’s why it’s not 4K apparently, just HD with HDR.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter. As long as you are getting DV, then all things being equal, you are getting the best picture.

Yeah the picture was great, I just thought I had an issue at first with it being only 1080p DV.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it.

7/10

Quite clearly you’ve forgotten Godzilla KOTM !
Mate, I clearly had. Why oh why did you have to remind me about it? :rotfl:
I think you guys are watching it on a CRT TV connected (somehow) to an Amstrad Hifi system.

AMSTRAD-Vintage-HIFI-Stereo-RADIO-Cassette-RECORD-Player.jpg

I got dv on my apple TV 4k box but no atmos only 2 channel stereo

Very odd
Yes at present there is an issue with netflix app only playing pcm on netflix app ,good news LG C8 internal App now plays Atmos over JBL soundbam 9.1

yes my ancient lg 65b7 plays atmos from its iternal app through my samsung q90r soundbar but still not my apple box on my lounge set up

meh, did nothing for me.

We watched it last night, an enjoyable distraction. One thing to say though was it wasn't that riveting as the missus to asked to pause it so she could watch watch Bezza followed by Nadiya on the beeb doing their cooking stuff! All in all a solid 7.5 from me.

Reserved is probably a good word to use, and not only for Henry Cavill, but this film is a 19th Century period piece which the British usually do very well, with a lot of attention to detail, and this is the case for Enola Holmes as well.
This Netflix film is obviously a career promotion for Millie Bobby Brown, you also can't help thinking that Cavill must have had this Netflix title as a clause in his contract too, not knowing anything about the Enola Holmes book series I can't interpret what version of Sherlock Holmes Cavill was trying to play, but it didn't really matter as the movies main focus is pretty much on Millie Bobby Brown who has always looked more mature than her age even in Stranger Things, what Netflix plans to do in the future to keep Millie under their creative control will be interesting.
Enola Holmes does look to have a prospective franchise sticker attached to it, Netflix like these sort of star studded productions to bolster its subscription quotas from time to time, if another movie is made the franchise just needs to continue were it left off, Enola Holmes was entertaining enough though it did feel like some scenes needed a bit more acting charisma from the films well known supporting cast on occasion.
My rating is 7 out of 10 mostly for Millie Bobby Brown and films production.

Reserved is probably a good word to use, and not only for Henry Cavill, but this film is a 19th Century period piece which the British usually do very well, with a lot of attention to detail, and this is the case for Enola Holmes as well.
This Netflix film is obviously a career promotion for Millie Bobby Brown, you also can't help thinking that Cavill must have had this Netflix title as a clause in his contract too, not knowing anything about the Enola Holmes book series I can't interpret what version of Sherlock Holmes Cavill was trying to play, but it didn't really matter as the movies main focus is pretty much on Millie Bobby Brown who has always looked more mature than her age even in Stranger Things, what Netflix plans to do in the future to keep Millie under their creative control will be interesting.
Enola Holmes does look to have a prospective franchise sticker attached to it, Netflix like these sort of star studded productions to bolster its subscription quotas from time to time, if another movie is made the franchise just needs to continue were it left off, Enola Holmes was entertaining enough though it did feel like some scenes needed a bit more acting charisma from the films well known supporting cast on occasion.
My rating is 7 out of 10 mostly for Millie Bobby Brown and films production.

Interesting points raised , but is this not a Netflix production as I understand . It is a WB production purchased by Netflix due to WB unable to distribute it at the cinema . Do those points mentioned still stand ?

Last edited:
Fun movie, if a little baggy. Could have shaved a good 10 minutes or so off the running time but yeah as has been mentioned many times already Millie Bobby Brown really sells the film with her charisma. 7/10, would definitely be interested in a sequel.

What i will say in this adaptation , or any adaptation in the Holmes genre I have watched . Mycroft is portrayed and or comes off rather poor light in this family aspect .downright EH substantial nemesis for the greater part of the film .

But will also have to say its a new aspect to the Holmes family and spose poor old Mycroft was always going to be that easy option .

Last edited:
Not sure what to make of it TBH. Thought Millie was exceptionally exuberant in her performance. Whilst watching i had a strange feeling of being feed subliminal messaging.
The Bad guy ....
"England" and old people in this case an old woman
It's OK
to leave a child so long as you've given them the smarts to survive and it's for a worthy cause.
"You have to make some noise to be heard" when referencing the worthy cause
Although it was set in the past it is quite clearly focused on the now IMO.
Not the sort of film i was expecting to be reconditioned with... but it seems par for the course these days.

Enola Holmes is a Warner Bros title that was produced by Legendary Pictures (Godzilla: KotM is one of their titles which is presumably how Millie Bobby Brown got involved). WB decided to sell it to Netflix due to the pandemic meaning a theatrical release was pretty unlikely. Obviously, Netflix can easily advertise the film on the basis of MBB being in it but that's about the extent of it in terms of the contractual side.

Last edited:
Interesting points raised , but is this not a Netflix production as I understand . It is a WB production purchased by Netflix due to WB unable to distribute it at the cinema . Do those points mentioned still stand ?
As far as the acting and creative content of this film is concerned, yes, my comments still stand.
Netflix do put their brand on a lot of different production company products, so with Cavill and Millie Bobby Brown both currently doing big budget projects for Netflix at the moment it did convince me that Netflix had commissioned the production of the film.
My presumptions about Netflix's contractual interest in the two stars and the making of the film were plainly wrong.

Loved it.
8/10 for me.
Hope we get a sequel.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom