Enola Holmes (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Sweet and enjoyable if you can get past the painfully OTT feminism injected into almost every scene or line of dialogue. MBB is great and I enjoyed the fourth wall breaking. She has a bright future, but otherwise its fairly insipid stuff and I'm astonished at its overpraise. Actually I'm not. This is exactly the kind of safe, conformist, on-script fare that people lap up these days.

Your astonished that members on an overly AV forum can enjoy a simple charming Sunday afternoon movie for what it is and leave the P&E bull at the door ?

Last edited:

raduv1

Distinguished Member

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I watched it last night and thought it was utterly charming.

As others have already said, it's a bit of light-hearted fun but Millie Bobby Brown elevates it above other Netflix fodder.

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
Very enjoyable - thought MBB and Bonham Carter both elevated it and I'd like to see a more complex case in the inevitable follow up. Am also assuming the mother's story is an underlying plot in the books, so we'll see more of that. As is usual, once the character intros are out of the way, many more possibilities are opened up - so it can only get better from here.

Don't understand the "grrr, feminism!" comments, but then I never have.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Don't understand the "grrr, feminism!" comments, but then I never have.

Because the film could have played out exactly the same, with entirely the same spirit of adventure, empowerment and freedom for the character, without the unnecessary (and distinctly current) feminist rhetoric. It just felt over the top and unnecessary to some people. That doesn't mean said people are anti-women or anti-progress, as is always implied when anyone dares to mention it.

sneakyweeone

Because the film could have played out exactly the same, with entirely the same spirit of adventure, empowerment and freedom for the character, without the unnecessary (and distinctly current) feminist rhetoric. It just felt over the top and unnecessary to some people. That doesn't mean said people are anti-women or anti-progress, as is always implied when anyone dares to mention it.
Just noting that your not complaining about the many references to working class men getting the vote throughout the film 🤔

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
And yet that's exactly the message you manage to convey. Either own it, or quit whinging about it.

Yet you, and others, continue to prolong the conversation :rolleyes:.

I wasn't 'whinging'. Simply pointing out that just because something doesn't bother you, doesn't mean that if someone else is bothered they have something wrong with them.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Jesus wept.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom