Enola Holmes (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

dannnielll

Witty, ..kinda predictable but the production values were very good. Victorian London was believable. .It reminded me of Anne of Green Gables ..in a good way. It is the kind of film the British do well. Engaging and enjoyable.

KenB123

Standard Member
Reviews like this are useful. Based on the title, the topic, a young teenager, etc. i wouldn't consider giving this picture a look. Just not my interest. But after reading the review, I will give a look. I'm glad it is a movie as opposed to a multi-part series.

petetherock

This is a wonderful movie and continues MBB's run of successes.
It was a refreshing take on Holmes, and her wide-eye innocence was magical:

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Reviews like this are useful. Based on the title, the topic, a young teenager, etc. i wouldn't consider giving this picture a look. Just not my interest. But after reading the review, I will give a look. I'm glad it is a movie as opposed to a multi-part series.

Inclined to agree but more so as it was a Netflix purchase of a film that I very much doubt would get me off my bum to watch at the cinema .

Went into it completely blind as part of my Netflix subscription and fell in love with it .

Now I wonder when Netflix purchased this film, did they also purchase the rights on it for making future films 🤔

Last edited:

TerFar

We watched this as a family and we all loved it. MBB and Louis Partridge were excellent. We unanimously gave it 4/5 stars.

One nagging problem I saw in it (and maybe I missed a clue here), but how did Linthorn find Enola at the bomb factory?

dr no

Very much a TV Movie with its simple, linear, non-threatening plot and cheap stage set up.
Enjoyable enough for a 6/10 at best, maybe even a 5/10

Garrett

Very much a TV Movie with its simple, linear, non-threatening plot and cheap stage set up.
Enjoyable enough for a 6/10 at best, maybe even a 5/10
checked ;)

leedebs

We watched this as a family and we all loved it. MBB and Louis Partridge were excellent. We unanimously gave it 4/5 stars.

One nagging problem I saw in it (and maybe I missed a clue here), but how did Linthorn find Enola at the bomb factory?
My wife likes easy to watch stuff without sex, violence etc, would this be suitable?

dr no

My wife likes easy to watch stuff without sex, violence etc, would this be suitable?
It would be perfect.
I would describe it as a Sunday afternoon family watch

TerFar

Yes it would. There's a little violence, but nothing excessive or at all offensive. Just a lightweight story she'll enjoy.

Spacecat

Banned
fun family watch, 7/10 for a saturday night , predictable but enjoyable with some shoehorned in diversity because its 2020.....but not over the top

Cobb

Distinguished Member
Watched this evening with my partner. 8/10 we thought it was very good. Superb cast, MBB was brilliant.

cooperda

Enjoyed it apart from Mycroft - Sherlock was fine but with Mycroft they took more liberties - I think because knowning their mother (as she did) meant it was realistic she could unravel this particular puzzle faster than a single brother - but had Mycroft had been demonstrated to be the 'smarter' brother - it would have been wholly unrealistic that she could outwit the two brothers working together.

General Skanky

Other half loved it. Lots of hair and costume comments. So naturally I fell asleep through 50% of it. Otherwise it was good......ish.

AdamskiP

me and my partner really enjoyed this. MBB is so watchable and we thought Henry Cavill was a suitable Sherlock. The production was great and I (My Mrs doesn't care about such things) thought the image was fantastic - bold colours and beautifully detailed in DV.

sneakyweeone

He was watching these areas as part of the misdirection the viscount left in his treehouse.

sneakyweeone

Thoroughly enjoyable film. Loved the talking to screen parts a la fleabag, and the facial expressions. Hard to believe she is only 16.

petetherock

MBB is such a wonderful actress and sweet person but I sincerely pray that she doesn’t go the wild day ala Drew Barrymore and skip the whole sex and drugs scene... enjoy her teenage years, whilst continuing to give us more of such delightful performances 👍

BAN5HEE

Thoroughly enjoyable film. Loved the talking to screen parts a la fleabag, and the facial expressions. Hard to believe she is only 16.
Agree - she reminds me a bit of a young Natalie Portman - I watched Leon again last week for the first time in years - Such a good movie!
The whole family enjoyed Enola Holmes - it's definitely very family friendly movie but enjoyable nonetheless.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Sweet and enjoyable if you can get past the painfully OTT feminism injected into almost every scene or line of dialogue. MBB is great and I enjoyed the fourth wall breaking. She has a bright future, but otherwise its fairly insipid stuff and I'm astonished at its overpraise. Actually I'm not. This is exactly the kind of safe, conformist, on-script fare that people lap up these days.

bjd

Distinguished Member
Thankfully I'm not so easily triggered that I spend my time counting every occurrence of a temporally anomalous black actor nor every hint that a woman might be equal to or better than a man in a given situation. Each to their own, if course, but I would rather judge a movie by any number of criteria than allowing a narrow focus on "wokeness" to spoil my enjoyment.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Thankfully I'm not so easily triggered that I spend my time counting every occurrence of a temporally anomalous black actor nor every hint that a woman might be equal to or better than a man in a given situation. Each to their own, if course, but I would rather judge a movie by any number of criteria than allowing a narrow focus on "wokeness" to spoil my enjoyment.

Do you want applause?

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021