Enjoy your music on a Dune with Dune Music Manager (DMM)

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by otreblaelasac, Aug 23, 2013.

1. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi everyone,

I wanted to introduce a program I created to build a music jukebox for Dune-HD devices. It’s been around for few months and went through a couple of release iterations already. People tested it successfully on databases of ~20000 titles.

It is called Dune Music Manager (DMM) and it comes packed with great features, amongst which

• Very fast library scanning and jukebox exporting (count in minutes not hours for a multi thousands tracks library).
    • Detection and priority given to local images for covers, backgrounds and artist pictures
    • Scan internet, on user request, to get images and artists sort names
    • Manual search of images using last.fm, fanart.tv, google or local hard disks
    • Full WYSIWYG editor to simply change the template to apply to your layout. Lot of options to modify any page and to decide what to export
    • Possibility to export only a selection of artists and/or genres
    • Incremental and full export. Database rescan after modification
    • Interactive preview on PC of the created jukebox
    • DMC compatibility to access the DMM menu from an android device even without switching the TV ON (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=babachan.android.dunemediacontroller&hl=en).
    • Playlists of: an album, an artist, a genre, with and without images. Using images you can have gapless playback of your tracks.
    Video to see DMM in action: [ame="http://youtu.be/O46B0sE97yk"]DuneMusicManager 1.2 - YouTube[/ame]
    Some Screenshots attached
    Download site (program, screenshots and ppt/pdf user manual): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4iojcaq6drtgky8/DGlQti-F0Y/Dune_Music_Manager
    How to install: simply unzip "DuneMusicManager 1.2.2.zip" in the folder of your choice and run the program "DuneMusicManager 1.2.2.exe"
    Requirements: PC under windows (XP or above) with .NET framework 3.5 client

I encourage you to first have a look at the short user manual to get familiar with DMM. The pack includes 3 templates. There is a simple default one I created and two very cool ones : tightrope_02 from tightrope and MusicScope from Mr Eric. You can use the built-in editor to modify the built-in templates to your taste or create a new template from scratch or starting from an existing one.

A web site for DMM will be up soon (I hope)
    Al

Attached Files:

2. Mr Eric

Mr Eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    DMM is great (not saying this because otreblaelasac is french too :D ) , i would recommend anyone looking for a dune music jukebox to test it and use it !

for those who want a little bit more customization you can also use this complete set of genres (319 genres) :
    Genres.zip

just replace the ones you will find in \DuneMusicManager 1.2.2\MyMusic\Genres

NOTE : you might need to review some of your genres or rename some of the icons so they can fit together.

I didn't do it, all credits goes to tikuf on the mediabrowser forum Glow Music & Tv Genre Images - Media Browser Community Tracker , I just renamed it to be compatible with DMM.

Check his posts over there, there are other layout he did that can be used with DMM if your rename it correctly (using bulk renamer it's a 10s job for 300 files)

I will try to make another template soon (certainly based on my Tribute template for yadis).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  3. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,706
    Hopefully you will get a few more responses to your post....

This is great timing for me as I've been looking to see if any progress has been made on a music manager for the Dune this last week. I made a post on the MPC Club about a year ago but nothing much was happening. I had a look at Zappitti and a few others last week but then found your post

I had a big play over the weekend and have to say I'm really impressed. There is a bit of a learning curve to start but I soon got the hang of it. The fact you can create your own custom templates is excellent and the scraping works really well - with most of my Artists and Albums getting the correct artwork.
    As with any app like this its key getting your metatags correct before running this - I use MP3Tag.

My collection is now fully running via my Dune and looks great !

If I could suggest a couple of improvements - It would be great to be able to create or use existing Playlists via the Front End - not sure how hard this would be.
    My other would be to be able to place Album Covers in a "frame" as opposed to just showing the raw scraped graphic in the Album View. That was you could have radiused corners or CD case effects, like it does in My Movies. I think it just looks more attractive. Hope that makes sense

Only minor issues anyway

Thanks again for the app - will try and a get a Donation out to you this week :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  4. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Sniffer 66,

really glad you liked DMM !
    Later this week I'll publish a v1.2.4 with the following changes:

• Fix a bug that makes DMM forgetting the custom images added after you modified your library and rescan
    • Improved, more intuitive and comprehensive, menu configuration dialog (export folder, music folder, dune path, etc.)
    • possibility to recognise background.jpg in an album folder of your library (currently this works already for images in the artist folder)
    • option in the xml file to start from a given view (Artists, Albums or Genres)
    • In the search images tool, when looking at artists, right-click on a retrieved image (bottom pane) to define it as the artist picture or the background for an artist and (optionally) all his/her albums
    • In the main window, artists view, Right-click on an artist background to remove custom background for the artist and (optionally) all his/her albums
    Having a Playlists page is on the radar screen but won't be very short term.
    Regarding
    this isn't explicitly possible today. However 1.2.3 introduced the possibility to put the cover either on top of or below the mask. So DMM draws either [background-mask-cover] or [background-cover-mask]. This way it is possible to "frame" the cover by having an appropriate mask that carries that frame. I think Mr. Eric is already working on something like this for a future template.

Again thanks a lot for your appreciation and suggestions
    Al

5. Mr Eric

Mr Eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    yep for the album cover frame. I will make a small adaptation to MusicScope to add a CD cover with effects. Hopefully before the end of this week ;)

6. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,706
    Sounds great guys - thanks !

7. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,706
    And may have found a little bug. Or I'm doing something wrong :)

When I go into the "Search Images" screen to correct an image that has been mis-scraped. When I retype the search string it still searches using the string that was there previously.

I.e I have an album that is a Compilation and is by "Various Artists" But I must have it tagged incorrectly as it has scraped the first Artist on the Disc as the background. So It has scraped a pic of "Artist x", But I do want to use a background pic of "Various" but even though I delete the string "Artist x" and retype "Various" when I hit Search it gives me results for "Artist x"

8. Mr Eric

Mr Eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
  9. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Most likely is because you just typed the new text and hit the search button.
    Currently the behavior (possibly a bit misleading because not explicit) is that you type the text in the textbox and you hit return to launch the same type of query against the new text. I'll think about modifying the behavior or at least make the tooltip more explicit

10. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,706

That explains it, thanks. I was doing a mix of both so couldn't understand why sometimes it worked and sometimes not :)

I found your original thread on MPC as well so will contribute there also

11. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'll correct it in the final upcoming 1.2.4 so that both ways it'll work

12. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Here we are !
    1.2.4 is ready for download @ https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4iojcaq6drtgky8/DGlQti-F0Y/Dune_Music_Manager

Changes:

• A brand new logo (a big thank to tightrope for his precious help!)
    • revised menu configuration dialog/wizard
    • possibility to use a background.jpg in the album folder of your library as background for the album. Same behavior as for album covers
    • several minor UI improvements for convenience, consistency and speed
    • option in the file DuneMusicManager_Options.xml to start from a given view: Artists, Albums or Genres
    • In the search images tool, when looking at artists, right-click on a retrieved image (bottom pane) to define it as as artist picture or background for an artist and (optionally) all his/her albums
    • In the main window, artists view, Right-click on an artist background to remove custom background for the artist and (optionally) all his/her albums
    • Two new templates from Mr Eric: MusicScope with a CD cover framing the album cover art and Tribute
    • fixed bug about losing custom images after db modification and rescan
    • other bugs fixing

What next? (not necessarily all in the next one)

• Localisation to adapt UI to other languages
    • Improved artist recognition accuracy for better image scraping
    • Search Images tool
      • Crop from source to avoid DMM cutting heads ;)
      • Sort result by size
      • (may be) minimum size to retrieve to avoid to get back too much “noise”
    • Playlists ?
    I hope that the improvements in this release are more than the new bugs I might have introduced :).
    Do not hesitate to post or send me via PM any issue, bug or request for improvement.
    Enjoy DMM
    Al

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  13. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    A little update, after the first feedbacks.

In the initial menu setup dialogues do not use UNC (\\server\share), they are not supported in 1.2.4. Map instead your UNC to a virtual PC drive (e.g. Z:\) and use the mapped drive folder.
    Some combinations also have some misbehavior (namely if Menu and Library are on the same disk). Therefore ALWAYS check the proposed dune path and edit it if needed

I'll post soon a corrective release for the above points (UNC, etc.). I'll also add the feature of being able to crop images directly from the retrieved original pictures to be in full control of the cropped parts. Of course if you find more bugs I'll put the fixes as well to avoid spamming you with multiple 1.2.x.y.z releases

Stay tuned
    Al

14. bruny

bruny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    having a hard time with this program. if i scan 1 album from my music folder works no problem. as soon as i try to scan whole music folder (with same settings) i get an "unhandled exception" parameter is invalid error. any ideas as to get past this as i would love to give this program a try.

many thanks bruny

15. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi bruny,

to allow me to better understand what happens I suggest the following

• Go to the installation directory
    • edit the file DuneMusicManager_Options.xml
    • change the line <Debug>False</Debug> into <Debug>True</Debug>
    • Run again the program
    • when the error appears get all the info from the error window and save into a text file
    • Go to the installation directory and get the files .txt that starts with "log"
    • I'll send you now a PM with my personal email, send me the log file and the bug info and I'll check it out
    Thx a lot as solving your will help the program be more robust
    Al

16. bruny

bruny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    thanks Al. email sent

17. bruny

bruny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    many thnks Al.

18. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You're welcome, now DMM is more robust.
    We found a fix that made bruny library to be fully scanned. The fix will be rolled in the next release
    Al

19. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi there,
    Here I am again with an updated version which brings several interesting improvements

Here is a short video showing some of 1.2.6 new stuff [ame="http://youtu.be/2gKijIOm08M"]DuneMusicManager 1.2.6 - YouTube[/ame]

Here a couple of screenshots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Build (1.2.6.3) and updated (english) manual at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4iojcaq6drtgky8/DGlQti-F0Y/Dune_Music_Manager

New Features
    • Multilanguage support. In the pack there are English and French. Additional languages will be available from the same location as xml files to add to your installation directory
    • Redesigned Search Images tool. Much faster, much more effective (1-click search on multiple sites). Possibility to sort images by size
    • Possibility to crop directly from Image viewer of the original image (crop the image than right click to get the context menu)
    • Templates
      • Editing more robust (not 100% perfect but better). First select the zone than act upon it
      • Full screen mode
      • Keyboard shortcuts to move & resize zones (explained in the doc)
    • In Genres view in the main screen : right click on a genre to decide to show Albums or Artists
    • Related to the above, in the Genres page of the template you can decide to have for a genre all the Albums or all the Artists
    • Support for UNC (\\server\path) in the menu configuration

Several bugs fixing
    • Duplicated albums
    • DMC compatibility (was broken in 1.2.4)
    • Files Too Long message (if there are folders/files with fully qualified path longer than 260 chars, DMM will tell you and skip the files (but will continue)
    • Menu Configuration hanging when using some paths
    • Tracks Formats are now recognized based on file extension (translation dictionary in DuneMusicManager_Options.xml file)
    • Scraping of images more reliable than before

How to install it?
    • Simply download DuneMusicManager 1.2.6.3.zip and DMM 1.2.6_EN.pdf
    • Unzip the program in a folder of your choice
    • Read the manual
    • Run DuneMusicManager 1.2.6.3.exe

How to upgrade from a previous version?

• Do a fresh installation in a new folder. Do not delete your previous DMM folder
    • Copy from the previous DMM folder MyMusic\Backgrounds, MyMusic\Covers and MyMusic\Pictures in the new installation directory
    • Run the new program
    • Recreate your menu (DMM will scan again the same library and finds your custom images)
    • Do a full export

What next ?

I plan to add the following (Yadis inspired, thx Mr Eric) feature: "Selections"

• A new button could be added to the home page giving access to a wall of user defined selections.
    • A selection could be
      • (a) a collection of Artists and/or Albums and/or Genres
      • (b) a playlist
    • A selection will have
      • a name
      • an image
      • a (optional) background
    • Choosing a selection, you'll see either a wall with its elements (type (a)) or a page similar to current album page for a playlist. In both cases there will be the option of [Play All]
    • There will be a dedicated window to create and manage Selections
    • Possibly you could also import playlists if they references songs in the same music library

Any comment or other ideas ?

20. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi there, this is a minor update to DMM awaiting for the addtion of Years and Selections.

If you don't have particular problems with your current DMM version you don't need to upgrade. V1.2.7 basically fixes a number of little misbehaviors leading DMM to hang or crash or fail in some boundary situations. Alongside with bug fixes there are the following improvements

• faster image scraping by avoiding to display images during the process and using the same look & feel as for library scanning and menu export (progress bar at the bottom)
    • in the preview you can now use the Backspace key to navigate backward
    How to install it?

How to upgrade from a previous version?

• Do a fresh installation in a new folder. Do not delete your previous DMM folder
    • Copy from the previous DMM folder MyMusic\Backgrounds, MyMusic\Covers and MyMusic\Pictures in the new installation directory
    • Copy from the previous DMM folder MyMusic\sorting_db.txt in the new MyMusic folder
    • Run the new program
    • Recreate your menu (DMM will scan again the same library and find your custom images)
    • Do a full export
    Regarding upgrade, as said DMM should find all your custom images when recreating the menu if you followed the above procedure. If this is not the case, please send me a PM telling me

• album title with unrecognised custom cover
    • filename of the custom cover in MyMusic\Covers
    • artist name with unrecognised custom picture
    • filename of the custom picture in MyMusic\Pictures
    Al

21. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi there,
    little update on the current developments.

Selections and Years features are being developed (40% completed), I slowed down a bit on them because I'm currently busy with the DMM WebApp for phones and tablets.
    I don't plan to redo the excellent DMC. What I want to do is a simple web app that allow any mobile device with a browser to
    • browse your music library
    • search albums, artists, genres, songs
    • control the playout
    • (optionally) tells the dune to also show the pages on TV
    The webapp doesn't reproduce the template-based 16:9 pages on the mobile (like DMC does), it does show a list of covers over a background.

I think this is a valuable companion to the TV based DMM output and it can evolve in a lot of ways.
    Awaiting to have a working version ready for prime time (getting close), here are a couple of screenshots of the current status.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  22. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    INFORMATION for the DMM users

Last.fm deprecated an API method DMM uses to gather all pictures about an artist (photos, backgrounds). In the current version is therefore only possible to get covers from last.fm.
    In the new release either I found an alternative or there will be only 1 picture for an artist that Last.fm can retrieve.

Sorry!

23. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all,
    After few weeks of beta test, v 1.2.8 is ready for prime time (a big thanks to all the people who helped me testing it!). Of course I cannot say it is bug free so any problem post a message or write me an email ([email protected]). Make sure to sure to have a look at User Guide before starting (revamped to be more clear). If you used a previous DMM release and already had a lot of custom images/backgrounds, etc. don’t worry the user guide will explain you how to upgrade and get them back.

User manual, program + plugin : Dropbox - Dune_Music_Manager

Video introducing DMM 1.2.8 :

Video introducing DMM 1.2.8 WebAPP:

What’s new:

DMM PC App
    • Several bug fixes
    • A new great template from Tightrope
    • In the initial menu configuration it is possible to influence how DMM will handle the tags of your music files. In particular you can
      • Define the set of separators to apply (the first separator character present in the tag will be used)
      • Define which tag to use to create artists and some basic rules
      • Create an artist also for the composers. In the UI you’ll see them all under Artists and you can filter them using the filter button. USE THIS OPTION WITH CARE. If you don’t know about your tags and/or do not care about having also the composers … leave the option unchecked or you’ll risk having hundreds of Artists which aren’t important for you and the export time will be much much longer.

DMM web extender plug-in
    A tiny little plugin to install on your Dune (check the user guide) to be able to use the DMM WebApp.

DMM WebApp
    It has been the bigger effort of this release. When exporting a menu, DMM creates in the same folder the html, css, js files needed to run on your mobile device a web app that will allow to
    • Browse the library by Albums, Genres, Artists
    • Search the library by albumartist, artist name, composer name, genre name, year, song title, album title
    • Play your albums/playlists and control the playout (play/pause, stop, seek, prev/next, shuffle on/off, gapless On/off)

NOTE: for the WebApp to work properly you need to check “Mobile App compatibility” in the configuration of the menu. If you want to play your albums gapless you also need to check the “Playlist with images” in the main template page.
    The best user experience is reached when you install your WebApp as a fullscreen application by putting a link on your home page. This works on iOS. I’ve no experience on Android. BTW some users reported that on Android swiping through pages is a bit difficult (I’m working on it).

Of course DMM still works with the great DMC app from Babachan !

Hopefully the (short) user guide gives you all you need to set this up and run it successfully.

24. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Being Xmas behind the corner here is my wish list for DMM improvements/features. I'd welcome your input to decide what are the most useful things to do next. Some are mine some come already from your feedback

DMM PC
    1. Simpler, less crowed UI
    2. Simpler Menu configuration panel that can also be edited without deleting/recreating a menu
    3. Templates new options
      1. Album covers with title (like artists)
      2. Sorting criteria on a per page basis (albums, genres, single artist) instead of global
      3. Artists wall with only names and no pictures
      4. Use sortname instead of real name in the artist label to respect A-Z appearance
    4. Custom Albums (i.e. playlists)
    5. Selections (i.e. user defined collections of real/custom Albums, Artists, Genres)
    6. More than one Music Folder to scan
    7. Gracenote integration for additional image/cover source

DMM WebApp
    1. More Flexible « Now Playing » management (possible only for non-gapless and subject to check if feasible)
      • Add to next
      • Append
      • Current Playlist editing (move, delete)
    2. Option to have List instead of icons wall with alphabetical index bar
    3. Lyrics (if possible)
    4. Improved swiping and in general more reactive UI (new release JQuery Mobile framework)

25. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Having received questions about that, I wrote a small doc explaining the differences between DMC (Android app to view any Dune jukebox) and the DMM webapp (described in detail in already existing user manual).
    This document explains also the basic steps to configure DMC.

the doc is here :Dropbox - User_Manuals

Hoping you'll find it useful
    Alberto

26. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think I already mentioned this Dune bug but it is worth repeating

If you encounter an "Error: format not supported" while playing a mp3 file that plays well outside of a DMM menu you might have stumbled in a mysterious bug about embedded images.

When a music file has a cover image embedded in the tags that is > ~600KB (irrespective of the pixel resolution), the Dune isn't capable of playing it when it is launched by an application (media_url in a dune_folder.txt or IP control).

The solution is to
    • 1st test that you are in this case by checking the tags and making a test with a smaller or no image for a given file
    • extract a cover from the tag and save it in the album folder as folder.jpg
    • remove all fat images or compress them

27. Manafa

Manafa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the above problem. It's doesen't matter if I have picture on the cover of the album, when I try to play it I get the "Error: format not supported" message. This happens for my entire music library (around 15GB).

28. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Manafa,

you should do the following check/test
    • pick one of the song that doesn't play from the DMM menu
    • use a program like mp3tag (Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...) to check if this file has an embedded cover image and what is the image size (in KB).
    • If size >600KB then remove the image (may be making a copy before) so that the file has no embedded cover anymore
    • try again to play it through DMM menu (it will always play if you do it with Dune file browser)
    • If it plays then you found what the problem is and ...

the (only) solution (I know) is
    • extract a cover from the tag and save it in the album folder as folder.jpg
    • remove all fat images or compress them
    Keep us posted with the result of your investigation as this will help others
    Alberto

29. Manafa

Manafa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Otreblaelasac,

I did the check and there is no embeded cover image im my files. The MP3 plays from Dune file browser, but never from DMM. It's a great product, by the way, you did really good job. Any other suggestion will be highly appreciated.

30. otreblaelasac

otreblaelasac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    let see.
    could you share with me one of the mp3 file (via dropbox or alike) ?
    my email is [email protected]