Enigma Video Switching..

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Kurt_Wylde, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Kurt_Wylde

Kurt_Wylde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi folks, first post so be gentle. :hiya:

In preperation for inpending X360 launch, I've just ordered a shiney new LCD TV.. (The Samsung LE32R41BDX for those interested..)

Anywho, I've a modded Pal Xbox, and have the Enigmah vid switch application.
    Strange thing is, when I set the Xbox to PAL, the colours are much more vibrant, the blacks are darker etc..
    When I set it to NTSC, everything seems a little 'washed' out. Black becomes more like dark grey etc.. The image seems much sharper though, text on the XBMC dash for example, is pin sharp, where as it's a little fuzzy around the edge on PAL settings..

Does anyone else have this issue, or know why it does it..?

Thanks

2. mal60908

mal60908

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTCS is a little lighter than PAL, try NTSC Jap, failing that, you will just have to tweak your brightness.

NTSC should be sharper as it is a progressive signal where as the PAL version is interlaced and won't look as good.

3. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Mal, NTSC is only progressive if you use a hi-def cable otherwise it's interlaced and actually looks worse than PAL interlaced.I know plasma's/LCD's are progressive by nature but they look far better by turning on the 480p option on the xbox.

Kurt, The only way to get a decent picture out of NTSC is using the official high-def component cable which then lets you access 480p/720p/1080i options on your xbox dashboard, if you are already using this cable you haven't got them turned on because 480p on a modded xbox looks far superior to a PAL signal,480p gives really deep blacks and razor sharp text/colours.If you are using scart you are better off using PAL because as you say the NTSC output on an xbox is too bright and fuzzy.

You may not want to buy any new cables for your xbox with the 360 just around the corner but don't fret about how your TV will look when the 360 arrives, in 720p on that TV you have you are gonna be blown away by the PQ especially if you haven't already seen 720p on an xbox. 95% of xbox games support 480p or higher but some will only output interlaced.

4. Kurt_Wylde

Kurt_Wylde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Nice one, thanks for that fellas.

As you say, I'm only using the Official standard RGB Scart with optical out cable.
    The xbox is hooked up to an old Hitachi 28" CRT, which certainly isn't the greatest. I was just curious more than anything else as to why the NTSC setting appeared 'bleached' compared to PAL, yet gave a 'sharper' picture.

Ahh well, new TV should be here soon, closely followed by some X360 goodness.. bring on the HD!! :clap: