1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

English spec sheet for Pixel +2

Discussion in 'TVs' started by bazzae123, Apr 22, 2004.

1. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just read the new spec for the latest Pixel Plus2 TV (32PW9509) I see that the chassis number is listed as the same as on the old 32PW9528. Can this be correct. If, like it says, they are over 13 alterations on the design from P+1 to P+2 surly there would be changes to the hardware or am I missing something.

Spec sheet here: http://www.p4c.philips.com/

Bazza

2. vivaatloni

vivaatloni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I noticed the same.
    I think pixel plus is purely digitizing an image, so this happens with chips. So this doesn't affect the chassis.

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Basically, the digital processing is packed into a feature box, so the same basic chassis can be fitted with different feature boxes to produce different members of a family of sets.

In the first Pixel Plus sets, the same overall design as with the Digital Natural Motion sets was kept, with a central picture processor (PICNIC) with integrated ADC's and DAC's, and various picture processing including horizontal scaling, the motion estimation and compensation processor (FALCONIC), which also does noise reduction and vertical scaling. The Pixel Plus processor (Eagle IC) was simply inserted into the return chain between the FALCONIC and the PICNIC, and I guess, the latter modified to accept the new resolutions and output through a higher frequency DAC.

I don't really know what they've done since then. I heard that they were employing a digital comb filter, while in their earlier sets the comb filters were analog. In the Digital Natural Motion sets, decoding and pre-processing of video was done by an analog input processor (HIP), which delivered an analog YUV output signal to the feature box. The comb filter was attached to it.

The feature box in turn put out another analog YUV signal which was converted to RGB and processed by the output processor (HOP), which controlled deflection and everything else. The sets with light sensors and LTP processing had another analog processor (TOPIC) inserted between the feature box and the HOP to perform LTP, Color Enhancement and contrast adjustment based on the input from the light sensor.

So those sets were all analog except for the feature box. Philips may well have changed their design to do decoding of the signal and color space conversion in the digital domain, and hopefully they have ditched the TOPIC processor completely. The 'dynamic SCAVEM' feature on some Pixel Plus sets seems to indicate that they've changed something in the path after the feature box, even if it's just a change to the SCAVEM circuit on the neck board.

If they have done these things already, it may just be that the feature box has improved processors and they felt nothing around it needed improvement. I'm not sure how the newer Pixel Plus sets are really built.