English language (supremacy) law

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pragmatic, Feb 20, 2013.

1. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Just like France requires French to be used for the sale of products ect should English in the UK (or at least England) have a similar legal entitlement?

Food packaging and the like usually has ingredients in English and obviously this is of the highest importance.

Other areas like services not so much though, for example I have lived/worked in areas of high populations of non English populations like Polish and Indian/Pakistani or Chinese. In some cases there is a travel agent or bank that displays all its posters and information in the Language of origin, for example a Polish bank with everything in Polish, no English equivalent.

I cannot be refused the use of these services as equality laws prevent that, but if I don't understand what they are selling as they are in another language it effectively rules it out for anyone not able to read that language.

Should we have a law so all business offering a service, product ect in the UK/England have to display an English equivalence in the same space and of equal or suitable prominent?

Or does this add necessaries expense to a business that is obviously not trying to attract non Native (theirs) speakers otherwise they would advertise in English?

Or are the principles of equality and English language being the common language everyone should use to communicate take precedence and be accepted as a cost of business, and a price worth paying for coherence?

If a polish bank is offering a great interest rate on a savings account should I be excluded because I can't read the poster? Or an Indian Travel agent offering great deals on flights, or a Chinese supermarket displaying its best bargains in Mandarin only?

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,604
    You are not excluded so long as the staff are able to converse and provide the literature in English ;) The fact that writing is not in English is not the same as it saying "only ethnics allowed". Whilst it may perhaps be natural to make the leap the reality is rarely at either extreme

And have never not seen a foreign supermarket not duplicate everything in English so presumably that was just a flippant comment

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I think your missing the point, if a trader is offering a service should it not be offered to all equally? I'm making the assertion that displaying in English achieves this in a multi cultural/lingual country.

Yes it was, I will take a Chinese friend with me next time to confirm the special offers aren't only displayed in Chinese :D I am talking about the signs outside a store, not within the store themselves.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. tvmcp

tvmcp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    If the shop is too dopey to extend their marketing to the obvious majority of people walking past, then more fool them, I would just let them get on with it!

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Equality is a one way street? This is more about a principle than economics (otherwise it would be done already I guess), its a simple question of is English the common language and if so should it be used to transcend the issue of multiple languages wherever that is present within our islands.

We should have a common language that everyone should be fluent or at least literate in, otherwise we have isolation and a break down in communities, which also leads to cultural issues and ultimately lead to further issues.

There are a number of areas this affect, but I'd like to give an example of the more extreme effects that this can have.

Currently we have areas of the UK becoming ghettoised, areas that seem unwelcoming to 'foreign' cultures outside those that are majority in the area. Being surrounded by unfamiliar language is one area which supports a genuine feeling of unwelcomeness, this perception or feeling will most often be just that. Forcing the common language on all literature would certainly help mitigate any such perception.
    I would hope it goes without saying any actual ghettoiseation should be dealt with as its certainly not healthy for the country and often the people living in them (mainly women and children).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    I (after the replies) see your point and largely agree with you. Fortunately, I don't have much experience of the sort of shops you describe, so perhaps quite a small issue in the great scheme of things.

Maybe the establishments in question just don't speak any English at all. At least they are trying to make an honest income.

Guess we have to pick our battles.

7. SBT

SBT
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,831
    The point being they already are catering for the majority;)

Whole areas in some parts are majority polish/asian etc,so their customers are the ones shopping there.

I agree with the French system though,it's right that everything in France Should be written in French.If you want to live in France learn French.

Same goes for the brits that move abroad,and people who come here.

8. SBT

SBT
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,831

You live in London but you don't have much experience of those sort of shops?

You must live in a different London to the one i lived in :confused:

9. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,238
  10. W0LFIE

W0LFIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +964
    You can't expect us to remember 'huevos y patatas fritas' every we go to the Red Lion on the Costa del Sol.:confused:

We're happy to learn hola, isn't that enough for these damn beaurocrats:mad:

11. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Not many holiday makers sell goods or service ;)