English flag vs Union Jack and supplier recommendations

m4rky_m4rk

:uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk:

Looking for recommendations for online sellar of quality St George's flags.

I guess I should also get a Union Jack too. I used to have a nice stitched one until some nicked it at Le Mans. Does anyone bother with these now?

Over the years the St Geroge's flag appears to have been rising in popularity. Could this be a reaction to the rise of Welsh and Scotish nationalism?

Is it PC these days to be visibly English in the United Kingdom? There is no St Geroge's flag smiley on AVF for example.

:uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk:

Flimber

Distinguished Member
...Is it PC these days to be visibly English in the United Kingdom? There is no St Geroge's flag smiley on AVF for example.

Displaying the St. George Banner is frowned up due to fears that it may upset passing dragons. Political Correctness gone mad mate.

m4rky_m4rk

True, but whilst I am going to effort of buying a quality one I thought I should get a UJ while I am at it. Just not sure when I would use it?? Seems the St Georges flag has more use but I think the UJ is more recognisable abroad...Perhaps I will fly both.

Got a St George on back of my car but I am fairly sure the locals do not know what it is :)

ps I am an Englishman abroad

m4rky_m4rk

I had a converstaion with my german speaking colleagues about the UJ. During the conversation it was apparent they had no idea that the Union Jack is actually made up of three flags, Scottish, N.Irish, English patron saints, and that it is assymentric and so has a correct and a wrong way up. Useful to know in the War ;)

I couldn't explain why the Welsh flag isn't part of it!!

At a guess Wales is not a country therefore not part of the Union Jack :devil: Anyone else got a better explaination?

weetsie

I had a converstaion with my german speaking colleagues about the UJ. During the conversation it was apparent they had no idea that the Union Jack is actually made up of three flags, Scottish, N.Irish, English patron saints, and that it is assymentric and so has a correct and a wrong way up. Useful to know in the War ;)

At a guess Wales is not a country therefore not part of the Union Jack :devil: Anyone else got a better explaination?

the union flag was created when wales was part of england i think, not sure.

Sonic67

Banned
Strictly speaking it's the Union flag. Union Jack is when it's flown on a ship.

Wales is a principality; the others were kingdoms and came together giving a United Kingdom.

The first born son of the English king is given to Wales and so is the Prince of Wales.

See Edward I. He promised Wales a prince born in Wales who did not speak English or Welsh. He couldn't. It was Edward's baby.

Last edited:

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Just don't get one of those with , "England" written across the middle in white.

May as well get one with "Moron" written across it in that case.

m4rky_m4rk

Strictly speaking it's the Union flag. Union Jack is when it's flown on a ship.

Wales is a principality; the others were kingdoms and came together giving a United Kingdom.

The first born son of the English king is given to Wales and so is the Prince of Wales.

See Edward I. He promised Wales a prince born in Wales who did not speak English or Welsh. He couldn’t. It was Edward's baby.

What is the difference between a principality and a kingdom? Legal stuff I guess.

While we are on the subject of England, Scotland, Wales, etc .......I also got asked by my attentive German, Austrian colleagues why is it when we play football its as England, Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland but when its the Olympics its Britain.

I just said we choose which so we maximise the chance of winning something vs looking good in the medal tables :D

Also thought this later.......if the winner is Scottish, Irish Welsh then when they do good they become British... this makes the English feel like they achieved something :D

eg Andy Murray = British No.1, world no.4

Last edited:

Sonic67

Banned
What is the difference between a principality and a kingdom? Legal stuff I guess.
Principality has a Prince, Kingdom has a King. Wales was conquered and united with England to be England and Wales. Scotland came next after fighting us for years. (Though that's not entirely true, in a lot of the battles Scottish were on the side of the English fighting other Scottish.) Eventually as England became more successful internationally it suited Scotland to join and benefit from the Empire we were growing. Scottish regiments also complemented the English ones. The early Union flag can be seen in Last of the Mohicans.
While we are on the subject of England, Scotland, Wales, etc .......I also got asked why is it when we play football its as England, Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland but when its the Olympics its Britain. I just said we choose which so we maximise the chance of winning something vs looking good in the medal tables :D
I'd imagine if we played in the World Cup as a UK side it would probably be all English anyway or not far off. Besides it would spoil the rivalry born from stuff like the Auld Alliance.

At the moment we have English banging the drum and dressing like St George and the Scottish wearing ginger wigs and kilts and playing bagpipes. What would a UK side rally round?

'Britain' is from the Romans and revived by the Victorians. I'd prefer UK or even Albion.

m4rky_m4rk

At the moment we have English banging the drum and dressing like St George and the Scottish wearing ginger wigs and kilts and playing bagpipes. What would a UK side rally round?

Fascinating. Thanks.

Maybe a ginger wigged St George in a kilt while banging dums and playing bagpipes :) Would we have a better chance of winning if its a UK team anyway?....as you might guess its the footie that has got me interested in displaying my national flag

Sonic67

Banned
Fascinating. Thanks.

Maybe a ginger wigged St George in a kilt while banging dums and playing bagpipes :) Would we have a better chance of winning if its a UK team anyway?....as you might guess its the footie that has got me interested in displaying my national flag
We also have a seperate English and Scottish Premier League at the moment. We could unite them but it would be a hell of a round trip on a weekday evening for some away matches.

What if you support a team in the south of England playing a team in the north of Scotland?

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I'm sure you wouldn't have to look hard to find british people who didn't know that. I prefer the Union Flag and think the George Cross is a bit rubbish, it's too plain. It's needs a crest or something. They should get the kid who redesigned our coins to have a look at it.

Sonic67

Banned
They were quick to quote, 146 quid for three 2 yrd sewn polyester flags complete with rope and toggle...

...seems flags stick to traditional measurement units
If you are putting them on flagpoles with others there's also an order of importance.

With three flags you'd have the most important in the centre, then left is second, then the right is third.

With two flags the most important would be on the left.

When you are displaying Regimental Colours there's lots of other stuff. Even over touching them.

snellfish

Banned
if you're going to correct someone at least get it right :D

Whether to use "Union Flag" or "Union Jack" is a matter of debate.

The Flag Institute, the vexillological organisation for the United Kingdom, stated that the term Union Flag is a "relatively recent idea". Jack was a word previously used to denote any flag

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
What does a country have?

:D

Ask her:

tumblr_l1nvno0r001qbu5u7.gif

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Just don't get one of those with , "England" written across the middle in white.

May as well get one with "Moron" written across it in that case.

I bet the person that started this group probably has a few; Der takin r falgs!!!.

Some of the comments that have appeared recently are priceless.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom