• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

England's new number 3

Ian J

Banned
Looking at the tea time score in the warm up match before the first Test the score is 154-6 and our top scorer is Matthew Hoggard who went in at number three as night watchman and scored 42.

Under any other circumstances it would funny but I don't suppose that any English cricket fans are laughing.

To his credit he faced 108 balls which was more than Strauss, Bell, Flintoff and G Jones combined. It would seem that the batsmen haven't learned anything from their Pakistan experience and all the talk of applying themselves more must be just that - talk.

Anyway, I thought that Hoggy's only stroke was the forward defensive prod :D

KevD

Distinguished Member
I have always thought he could prove a useful batsman, He has proved on many occassions and showed he has a decent defence for a supposed tail ender. If he adds a few different attacking stroke he could be very useful :thumbsup:
I am not too worried about the lack of runs, I tend to worry more when they are scoring centuries and taking five-fors in the warm ups. Save it for the big games ;)
The injuries do worry me a bit along with the possible absence of Trescothick, we may well have to play Hoggs at 3 :rolleyes:

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
KevD said:
I am not too worried about the lack of runs, I tend to worry more when they are scoring centuries and taking five-fors in the warm ups. Save it for the big games ;)

I'm of the other way of thinking.

Practice like it is the real thing makes it easier to turn it on when it counts. Sloppy practice matches result in bad habits forming!

KevD

Distinguished Member
scrapbook said:
I'm of the other way of thinking.

Practice like it is the real thing makes it easier to turn it on when it counts. Sloppy practice matches result in bad habits forming!
In theory I would agree but in past series I always remember those who done well in warm ups do bad and vice versa. Maybe I just have a bad memory :suicide:

KevD

Distinguished Member
Was thinking how might we line up if worst case and no Tresco, Vaughan, Collingwood or Jones:

Andrew Strauss
Alistair Cook
Ian Bell
Matt Prior
Kevin Pietersen
Andrew Flintoff
Geraint Jones
Ian Blackwell
Matthew Hoggard
Steve Harmison
Liam Plunkett/Monty Panesar/Shaun Udal

I don't know how bad the 3 injured players are or if Tresc will get back, but this would be a very inexperienced line up, just over 200 test between them all (and most of then would be at home I guess) :eek:
When you think Tendulker and Kumble have 232 tests on there own India will have another huge advantage.

On a brighter note, maybe Freddie being captain would inspire him and Cook and Prior would jump at the chane given to them :)

Ian J

Banned
The good news (for those of that work from home anyway) is that the dispute over TV rights has been settled and the matches will be on Sky

T

tek

KevD said:
On a brighter note, maybe Freddie being captain would inspire him and Cook and Prior would jump at the chane given to them :)

I agree, I'm looking forward to seeing how some of the new players manage. Away in India must be one of the most daunting places to play, particularly for players with little overseas experience. It's gonna be a challenge. Hopefully the last minute changes will take some of the pressure off, and allow them to play their game.
Really wanted to see Jones bowl though, dissapointed he's not playing. Conditions might have suited him, and I think he has the potential to be one of the best 1st change bowlers around. He looked so promising at the end of the aussie tour, just hope when he does come back he hasn't lost his confidence.

Ian J

Banned
Michael Vaughan, probably the most talismanic captain in world cricket is out of the first test and returning home. As Trescothick has already returned that leaves Flintoff as captain.

I went to a sportsman's dinner last year where Rodney Marsh was the guest speaker. He knew Flintoff quite well from his time spent at the Academy and reckoned that he would make an inspirational captain. Looks like we will now be getting the chance to see how right he is but I'm surprised that they picked him as he will be busy enough trying to score a century, take five wickets and a handful of slip cathes without the added burden of captaincy.

I would guess that by the time the rookies have been drafted in the whole team will not number as many Tests between them as either Tendulkar or Kumble on their own.

Team should now look a bit like this:-

Andrew Strauss
Alistair Cook
Ian Bell
Kevin Pietersen
Paul Collingwood
Andrew Flintoff
Geraint Jones
Ian Blackwell
Matthew Hoggard
Steve Harmison
Liam Plunkett or Mony Panesar

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
Playing the first day of the test on wednesday caught unawares, but looking at the score it looks as though normal service has resumed! A good start wasted by all accounts.

I haven't seen any highlights, but good bowling or shoddy batting?

KevD

Distinguished Member
scrapbook said:
Playing the first day of the test on wednesday caught unawares, but looking at the score it looks as though normal service has resumed! A good start wasted by all accounts.

I haven't seen any highlights, but good bowling or shoddy batting?
Strauss, Pietersen and Blackwell out to bad shots. Freddis had a bad decision against him while I suppose you give credit to the bowlers for Cook, Bell and Jones.
Looks like the very best we could achieve now is 320/330, thats being optimistic. However the pitch looks a bit more difficult to play on than the commentators first had us believe and if the ball swings the same for Hoggard, Harmisson and Flintoff all is not lost!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom