England v Slovenia BBC HD Picture Quality

M271

Standard Member
Is it me or is the BBC HD picture not looking up to normal HD Quality ?, looks like something between SD and HD on long shots (much closer to HD though).

Also when camera is panning there are Red fringes around the England players.

moonrakerz

The quality of the picture and the programme presentation (on BBC & ITV) has matched the quality of the football !

As for England -well; 1 - 0 up against Slovenia. I would like to see how they cope against someone like Portugal.

Did anyone watch the cricket last night ? Good wasn't it ?

mushk1n

Exactly as I thought, it looks like an SD feed but transmitted at an HD compression rate.

wednesday83

To be fair to the BBC, many of the day matches have been poor quality. Yes it doesnt help the fact BBC HD runs on low bandwith and low resolution, but also the production is not that great from the host nation. Some of the night matches on BBC HD have looked good for BBC HD.

string

I thought it looked poor also. The studio looked ok but the match itself was not high quality, picture wise.

Paul D

It was so soft i had to check i was on the HD channel!
I was taking care of a HD projector in my nephews pub during the game.
At half time, i even checked the focus and gave the lens a clean!

Even the on screen graphics came across as soft.

Don't even mention the flying over head cam. Soft and full of blue fringing on edges etc.

All i can say is i miss SKY Sports HD...:facepalm:

derek500

It's a shame that an event that will be many people's introduction to sport in HD, has been very disappointing in the PQ dept., no wow factor at all on either BBC or ITV.

Last night we watched the cricket on Sky, absolutely stunning.

wednesday83

I'm not entirely sure this is possible is it? I thought the Euro's were one of the 'crown jewels' that must be broadcast on terrestrial tv.

They are part of the crown jewels, but my arguement is that only the SD feed should be part of the jewels. ITV and BBC should have the SD feed and Sky should be allowed the HD feed so HD viewers can enjoy HD as it should be broadcast.

In fact, there should be broadcast standards introduced that ITV and BBC should have to adere to, but sadly that will never happen.

Ewoody

Sorry lads looked superb on mine and pin sharp.:thumbsup:

same here, thought it was very good, compared to other afternoon matches.

Paul D

thought it was very good, compared to other afternoon matches.

But you shouldn't be comparing to other afternoon matches though.
You obviously have a very revealing system correctly setup, so you are in a good position to see the differences between good and poor sources.
No matter what the BBC and ITV do, they cannot beat SKY until they change how they broadcast HD.

I understand different lighting conditions can flatten or colour sap an image.
But this match was just soft.
I doubled checked on the other two Panasonic HD plasmas, and the image was definitely not as sharp as it could be.
As i mentioned, it wasn't just the moving images, the graphics were soft too.

Other artifacts shown was a kind of trailing edge to the players as they moved. (Shown on both the DLP PJ and the plasmas)
It wasn't plasma phosphor lag, it was more like low bit rates struggling to keep up.

The current Germany match on ITV is much better than the England game.
The graphics are much sharper for a start.And i never thought i would rate ITV above anybody!:D

tele1962

Distinguished Member
But you shouldn't be comparing to other afternoon matches though.
You obviously have a very revealing system correctly setup, so you are in a good position to see the differences between good and poor sources.
No matter what the BBC and ITV do, they cannot beat SKY until they change how they broadcast HD.

I understand different lighting conditions can flatten or colour sap an image.
But this match was just soft.
I doubled checked on the other two Panasonic HD plasmas, and the image was definitely not as sharp as it could be.
As i mentioned, it wasn't just the moving images, the graphics were soft too.

Other artifacts shown was a kind of trailing edge to the players as they moved. (Shown on both the DLP PJ and the plasmas)
It wasn't plasma phosphor lag, it was more like low bit rates struggling to keep up.

The current Germany match on ITV is much better than the England game.
The graphics are much sharper for a start.And i never thought i would rate ITV above anybody!:D

As i say i don't know how your tv's were set up but on mine the image was pin sharp throughout.:)

Could be a problem with the source my viewing was through a SKY HD box.

Last edited:

Ewoody

Paul D ...

Yes, I do have a revealing system set-up correctly, but I am also seeing very good to ordinary HD broadcasts.

England v Slovenia was the best I've seen so far.
Germany v Ghana .. disappointing.
Spain v Chile .. terrible.

Last edited:

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Paul D ...

Yes, I do have a revealing system set-up correctly, but I am also seeing very good to ordinary HD broadcasts.

England v Slovenia was the best I've seen so far.
Germany v Ghana was disappointing.

Me to.;):smashin:

Ightenhill

Looked fine here on both a 42" plasma and projected (though I must have been watching a different match to the commentators, England still looked laboured and struggling apart from two 10 min bursts)..

Yes it had the normal unavoidable problems of an afternoon game but still looked good(and compared to the SD it was a million miles away)...

chrishull3

Switching to SD showed what a difference HD is, football in sd looks shear rubbish and always has, my HD pcture looked fine 4 times better SD as it should.As for England they should have scored 4 and i thought it was going to cost them.

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Strange how some of the lads who thought it was poor quality are starting to be in the minority now. Whch say's to me it had to be the source they were watching it through or on.:)

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Hmmm something wasnt right yesterday (except the football!). England game just didnt look as pin sharp as other BBC World cup games ive seen recently for some reason...

It looked good, dont get me wrong, just didnt look very good like most of the other games ive seen. I wouldnt say it was upscaled SD but Ive definitely seen better PQ on other World Cup games for sure.

I thought it was just me but after reading this thread I know it wasnt. And I tend to notice these things at my viewing range! :)

Shaun666

Be thankful you weren't stuck at work having to watch it in less than SD blockyvision on a 4:3 ratio 14" pc screen :mad:

BName

Banned
Yesterdays game looked poor to me allso. The picture looked like upscaled sd i though not sharp hd looking. I haven't been impressed with alot of the games not just that one.

M271

Standard Member
Could be a problem with the source my viewing was through a SKY HD box.[/QUOTE]

I originally set up this thread on the Sky HD part of this forum, as I was viewing it through my HD box.

I've had HD from Sky for 4 years now and I know that broadcasts can be variable but yesterdays England match from certain camera positions (half way line , upper stand level) was noticeably poor on my set up. Other camera positions were good and the studio shots were very good (the Cape Town back drop was very detailed).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022