1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

England to America electrical goods

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by flex, Jun 12, 2003.

1. flex

flex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am emigrating to the USA next month and was wondering whether I can use my existing UK TV/DVD/video.

I can buy a transformer to step the voltage down to 110 from 240 but the herz are also different - (50 versus 60). Will this make a difference?

I dont want to watch American TV on it as I know that our system is PAL and the American is NTSC, but I dont want to lose access to my own video collection.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ken

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    AC frequency is very unlikely to have an effect, unless your stuff is very old. The equipment will continue to to work together. It is if/when you decide to buy any new, local stuff, that differences in video standards may arise - eg - if you do ever get a local VCR or set top box, it may well work OK with the TV, but copying from a US VCR (or STB) to your UK VCR won't.

The audio side is not affected - they use the same audio signal 'protocols' as we do.

The US does not 'enjoy' the 'benefits' of SCART connectors either (wise folk). So you will find it nigh-on impossible to buy any replacement cables of this type. And, obviously, getting breakdowns repaired will be problematic....