England Football Team - The Future

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Reaction score
No thread specifically on this so thought I would start one!

Given our as expected shockingly poor performance in the Euros and the departure finally of Hodgson, what does the future hold for the England team?

We seem to be stuck on the same cycle of mediocrity and Managers that are clearly just yes men for the FA. I believe we have enough players with the skill level to compete but for some reason they either don't care or the Managers don't play the right tactics, choose the right players or play them in the right positions.

Who would people want for the next England Manager?
I'd like to see someone who is isn't an FA yes man and can do what he wants.

My pals are all roundly laughing off Allardyce speculation. Frankly, I have had it with boring football and disappointment. I'd happily take boring wins that lead to a tournament win. Last 2 major tournaments we have tried to shoe horn "superstar" players into starting XIs in spite of whether it would be a balanced team. This euro we weren't burdened with the pressure of fielding lots of big name players yet still failed to go with inform players and a balanced side.
Back to basics and adopt the attitude of minnows...which is exactly what we are on the stage of world football.

At the moment there is no standout footballing nation. Its there for the taking if a nation can have the collective gumption to go for it and stick to a plan.

Wenger.

Least we'll go down playing football as it should be played:D

If/When that fails, it'll prove once and for all that we simply don't have any "world class" English footballers.

Disregarding that as a club manager he was pants,and that he's a certified fruitcake, Hoddle did ok with England and has some unfinished business.Give him a 2 year contract to take us through to the WC and take it from there.

Definitely Wenger, he should be a realistic appointment too if Arsenal can line someone else up. Proven long term success in the Premier league playing a good style of football.

Also read reports that Mancini said he's interested.

I said before that at least with Wenger we would get a top four finish :D

Whatever happens you need someone that doesn't play for the here-and-now and bloods youngsters from any and all clubs, get some kids with passion on the pitch.

It would just be nice if I could actually have some enthusiasm and excitement for England at major tournaments. The last few have been so poor, I have exceedingly low expectations now, which all credit to them they met in Euro 2016. :laugh:

Maybe what England need is Big Sam
We have had a couple of fashionable Euro Coaches and a prodigy . Didn't work out so well
Hoddle was a fruitloop, but had some good results . He has been out of the game for ages and that can't be for no reason

Big Sam for me, I know his football gets a bad rap but I do think he's the right guy for that job

Big Sam for me to the national team coaches dont get enough time with the players to get all technical we need a ****, someone to fire the players up and crush the nancy boys (sterlings)

Big Sam is the Man!o_O

It doesn't seem to matter who we get, since Glenn Hoddle no one has had a "style" of play that's been stuck to, and they all seem to end up picking what they believe are the best 11 players rather than the best team, hence always getting comments about square pegs in round holes.

Big Sam can't do any worse!

Have to echo the majority. Give Big Sam a chance. I've always liked the way he's come across. Good personality and well respected. Former Soccer Aid winner so already has international honours to his name!

Yep. Another vote for Big Sam. Not exactly many stand out candidates is there so he's as good as any right now. Plus it means Sunderland will eventually get relegated. Lol

Big Sam has a 33% win ratio in 467 PL games. Would just be another mediocre appointment in my eyes. Could see exactly the same pattern of easy qualifiers and tournament failure with him in charge. If they can't get a top manager they should just take a punt on someone.

Isn't that what they are doing with Sam? I doubt he would be anybodies first choice but all of the top managers are at top club sides. Seriously, who do you give it to if you don't give it to Sam?

What's Sam's draw percentage? In tournament football terms Portugal have just shown the benefits of not losing more than winning.

Based on Euro 2016, Wales are definitely better than England, so in that regard they should be above England in the rankings.

But we all know those rankings as a whole are nonsense.

So based on Big Sam being mediocre at club level, Coleman was abysmal at club level?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom