1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

England 2010

Discussion in 'Sport' started by dc007, Sep 2, 2005.

1. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    This team was suggested in The Times online today, for the World Cup in 2010 ;

ENGLAND 2010?

TEAM (4-5-1): P Robinson (Tottenham Hotspur) — A Gardner (Tottenham Hotspur), L King (Tottenham Hotspur), M Dawson (Tottenham Hotspur), T Huddlestone (Tottenham Hotspur) — W Routledge (Tottenham Hotspur), J Jenas (Tottenham Hotspur), M Carrick (Tottenham Hotspur), S Davis (Tottenham Hotspur), A Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur) — J Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur).

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,296-1761222,00.html

I accept this is all a little tongue in cheek - Rooney, Wright-Phillips, Cole, Terry, etc are all pretty young too - but I'm proud of my team, none the less !

The future is bright - the future's Lillywhite !!

2. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Never mind 2010....I'd settle for that against Liverpool next week!

Seriously though, I can't believe Spurs are looking like they've got it right after all these years! Bring on the scousers...here's my line-up for what it's worth:

GK: Robinson

RB: Stalteri
    LB: Young-Pyo
    CB: Dawson
    CB: Gardner

RM: Tainio
    LM: Davids
    CM: Jenas
    CM: Carrick

CF: Defoe
    CF: Rasiak

The future is indeed bright!

3. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Surely King will be fit for the Liverpool game ?!

4. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I hope king will be fit, he has been sitting in my Telegraph Fantasy Football team for 3 weeks wasting me points.

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Spurs are flattering to decieve - again. They always start reasonably well then meet a few tough sides and fold up. As for Ledly King and Gardener, two hugely overrated players.

Said the Arsenal fan.......................... ;)

Still, if its the pool' next week that'll be one of the four games I actually want Spurs to win. You can work out who the other two are against. :D

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Exactly. Spurs have 35 players registered in 1st team, They've even split the midfielders into "attacking and standard" to mask the excess.

Don't get me wrong. Spurs will be a tough game. But outside the 1st XI and choice subs, the teams average

7. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Boys - it's all about strength in depth!!!

Serously though, although Spurs have a large squad on paper (35 players and counting), I would say only 24 count as serious first-team players, which is about the same number as Arsenal and Chelsea.

The likes of Fulop, Burch, Defendi, Huddlestone, Ifil, Hallfredsson, Lennon, Barnard and el Hamdaoui have all been bought for the future, while Naybet is clearly being kept on in a mentoring role.

It's also a fair bet that some of the following will be shipped out on loan soon, if not sold during the January transfer window: Pamarot, Bunjevcevic, Davenport, Davis, Mendes, Brown, Jackson and Keane.

As for King and Gardner being over rated...spoken like a true gooner, Overkill!

Expect to see King and Dawson forming the heart of England's central defence soon! And as for Gardner - respect to the fella is due. After two terrible years of stick (hey, Spurs fans are nothing if not fickle), he looks like he's finally turning the corner. All through pre-season and the first four games of this campaign, he's been solid as a rock. Unbelievable!!!

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    King is good...Dawson so far looks decent

But I stand by my comment outside 1st XI and choice subs, rest of squad are average

These days all the one for the future talk is rubbish. 20 years ago, yes. But these days the good players are discovered early > Rooney, Ronaldo, Fabregas, Robinho

9. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Out of this list I reckon the following will make it to 2010
    Robinson
    King
    Jenas
    Defoe
    Maybe carrick, maybe dawson

I don't think Gardner is anywhere near good enough
    Huddlestone and Lennon aren't going to get near starting for Spurs on a regular basis for a good couple of years so will probably waste away in the reserves during this period and then be sold.
    Routledge has a huge way to go.

I like the idea that we buy young english players, but if you buy them too young and undeveloped then they loose valuable development years imho where they would probably be better off playing for a Championship team for a couple of years rather then playing in Spurs reserves.

10. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Arsenal look as though they need all the help they can get at the moment! :D

11. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    If "one for the future" is rubbish, why did Chelsea poach Arnesen from Spurs?

The Champions League rule changes (which will filter down and effect all competitions in time), will negate the advantage Chelsea's buying power offers. By 2007, teams competing in the CL will need to field a certain number of what FIFA calls "home grown" players. This means teams will have no choice but to invest in young players that remain with a club for a set number of years in order to qualify (nationality won't be an issue).

Of course, the problem with buying young is that for every Wayne Rooney or Reto Ziegler you discover at 18, you'll get 3 or 4 Francis Jeffers!

Spurs are just doing what Arsenal have been doing for a couple of seasons. Everyone else will start to follow suit, because they'll have no choice...you watch Chelsea's buying activity change now that Arnesen and his little book of contacts is on board - for every major signing they make, they'll buy three of four kids for the future.

12. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Oh...and Tom Huddlestone will be captain of England (and Spurs) by 2010.

13. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I am not convinced by this, but we will obviously see.

With a bit of luck it won't be long before Chelsea sign the likes of Edman, Atouba and Pamarot :D

14. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527

I just don't see how he is going to get in the Tottenham team if Carrick and Jenas are the midfield pair and King and Dawson are the defensive duo.

15. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    We ahve 32 squad players, not 35. 2 of whom are on loan.

Spurs are always a tough game for Liverpool, we'll have 4 points of you this season.

Overkill, we will beat you at the lan this season. Let's have a bet. whoever wins has to shave a leg and post a picture on the forum.

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    I do hope Jenas pulls his head out of his own backside and gets down to some proper work rather than playing the role of a playboy.

17. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    just shave a leg?! I'll be willing to bet a lot more than that, that the pool will beat Spurs :devil: