• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Engineer Coming Round Sunday Anyone Got Some Advice

t-1000

Banned
Hi

Had HD now for 10 months. In that time my box (thomson) has been pretty rubbish turning itself off occasionaly and getting stuck in standby etc anyway Its gradually getting worse so I phoned sky and they booked me an engineer for sunday. Right I want a new box can I just ask for one? The sky tech on the phone said my signal was very poor but this doesnt resolve the box getting stuck in standby. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
If he can't fix it then he'll take your current box away and leave you with another. Unlikely to be new though - almost certainly be a refurb.

bluesteel

have you tried threatening the box in an increasingly annoyed voice gradually rising in volume ?
Then when and only when this doesnt result in a perfect working solution resort to teaching it a lesson it will never forget ie:

Basil: Come on, display 1080i, will you!? Start, you vicious b*st*rd!! Come on! Oh my God! I'm warning you — if you don't show me a full signal strength… (screams with rage) I'll count to three. (he presses the channel up and down buttons, without success) One…two…three…!!Right! That's it! (he jumps out of the armchair and addresses it) You've tried it on just once too often! Right! Well, don't say I haven't warned you! I've laid it on the line to you time and time again! BBC HD is just repeats,Channel 4 HD isnt even HD, the lip sync thingummy is driving me spare! Right! Well…this is it! I'm going to give you a damn good thrashing! (he rushes off and comes back with a large branch; he beats the sky plus HD box without mercy)

t-1000

Banned
have you tried threatening the box in an increasingly annoyed voice gradually rising in volume ?
Then when and only when this doesnt result in a perfect working solution resort to teaching it a lesson it will never forget ie:

Basil: Come on, display 1080i, will you!? Start, you vicious b*st*rd!! Come on! Oh my God! I'm warning you — if you don't show me a full signal strength… (screams with rage) I'll count to three. (he presses the channel up and down buttons, without success) One…two…three…!!Right! That's it! (he jumps out of the armchair and addresses it) You've tried it on just once too often! Right! Well, don't say I haven't warned you! I've laid it on the line to you time and time again! BBC HD is just repeats,Channel 4 HD isnt even HD, the lip sync thingummy is driving me spare! Right! Well…this is it! I'm going to give you a damn good thrashing! (he rushes off and comes back with a large branch; he beats the sky plus HD box without mercy)

I will give this a go!

Thing is that the problem is intermittent so how will he know if he has fixed it?

bluesteel

its a toughie i won't lie to you!
best case scenario repeat the above steps until either the box is pulped / working or feeling very sorry for itself!

almightygoodgod

my advice, make sure that the box they replace it with, more than likely a refurb, is actually an improvement on your current box.

my HD box was replaced with an even worse one, but on the upside as a sorry I got some money in my account and a brand new HD box.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom