Engineer and 32zp48

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by spocktra, Jan 18, 2005.

1. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Engineer came this morning to fix a fault with my 32zp48.He has suggested the fault may lie in a text module which will have been updated by toshiba.10 days to wait for the part.I am getting a little fed up with the whole new tv thing.If this doesnt remedy the problem i will ask for a refund and get a more basic set.Why cant manufacturers fit diagnostic ports to fault find rather than guessing,surely this would save everybody concerned money.

2. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Since the engineer call out i have noticed 2 more faults.Top corners are bowing outwards and there are 2 stray pixels halfway up the screen in the border.I spoke to the supplier and they will phone me when they get the engineers report.I presume the pixels cant be fixed so i hope to get a refund or a replacement.

3. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can I ask exactly what you mean by '2 stray pixels' ? Regards, yt.

4. Chris Hedlund

Chris Hedlund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those stray pixels exist on most CRT. They are centred midway at each side and are used by the engineers to set up the geometry. They will have always been there, perhaps unnoticed.
    Cheers Chris

5. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    They have only appeared today.It is as if there is a tiny hole in the black border leaving the same colour that is on the tv.Absolutly positve they were not there before today.The strange thing is ,all the engineer did was undo one screw while i was telling him the problem then decided to order a new part[text module]

6. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The fault with the text module is common to those toshiba's and can be removed allowing you to continue using the tv. It sounds as if the engineer found the fault straight away, give him some credit!
    As for parts, well you have to hope some gimp sends the correct part out plus the royal mail do their job properly, same with all manufacturers.

7. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, my 'question' above was slightly loaded - I thought perhaps you had genuinely found 2 pixels that were indeed stray ! It sounds to me that what you are seeing are indeed the 2 registration pixels that 'Chris' refers to above. If you look closely at them you will see that they are just outside the normal viewing area of the screen and are as Chris says about half way up (or down !). If you look even more closely you will see that they are 'double' the height of the phosphor dots in the viewing area of the screen - this is quite normal and a number of CRTs have them - they are used during the crt manufacturing process to accurately re-align the shadow mask to the CRT face plate (it is removed/replaced several times during manufacture and it is important to be able to re-locate the shadowmask accurately - the phosphor dots, when illuminated help to achieve this). You haven't discovered another problem with your set although I acknowledge you're not happy with it. Regards, yt.