Engagement Ring Insurance

markie g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just sorting out insurance for an engagement ring.

I've been quoted £38 to add this onto my policy, which i'm about 6 months through already, so yearly total would be about £76. This seems fairly expensive... just wondering what everyone else pays for theirs and any other recommendations for 3rd party companies?

I think I had to pay an extra £6 when adding mine onto my home/contents policy and was no more than 6 months into policy.

I think I had to pay an extra £6 when adding mine onto my home/contents policy and was no more than 6 months into policy.
Yup, i thought it would be in the region of £10-25

I've a couple of years no claims I think and our policy is only £2-300 p.a. (from memory). I think it's with Legal and General.

They're probably adding an admin fee on to change your policy half way through.

Depends how much the ring is and if you are declaring if it will be taken off at all.

Without knowing how much the ring is worth (and basing off what I pay for my wife’s jewellery) the price quoted sounds quite a lot.

I pay about 1% pa of the total value.

Depends how much the ring is and if you are declaring if it will be taken off at all.

Without knowing how much the ring is worth (and basing off what I pay for my wife’s jewellery) the price quoted sounds quite a lot.

I pay about 1% pa of the total value.

I wasn't asked if the ring would be removed or not, just that it would be covered for accidental, theft or loss of the item. Including losing the stone.

The ring itself was ~£2000

The other confusing part is they asked for the value of the ring, is this the price paid or the cost to replace. The reason it's slightly confusing is that i bought it when it was on promotion and to buy the same ring full price again it would be +£400 of the price i paid. But obviously don't want to give them anything so they can wiggle out of paying out in a worse case scenario.

You insure at the replacement cost, not the cost paid.

You could probably get it cheaper but that would mean moving insurers and after the cancellation fees would work out the same.

You insure at the replacement cost, not the cost paid.

You could probably get it cheaper but that would mean moving insurers and after the cancellation fees would work out the same.
Ok thanks, i'll bite the bullet this time and look at moving next renewal.

Presumably the replacement cost needs reviewing each year with changes in gold/diamond prices etc?

There is a clause in mine that there needs to be a valuation every two years along with a setting check.

That only applies to the larger pieces though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom