1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enermax Power Supply - Excellent

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by GearHead, Jul 4, 2002.

1. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd give a quick thumbs-up recommendation for the Enermax 350W Powersupply. I'm running mine on a low fan speed (as thats all it seems to need) and its totally silent. In fact its now showing up just how noisy the fan is on my intel celeron (1.3GHz) cooler.

My CPU sits directly below the auxilliary fan on the enermax. The CPU is running so cool at the moment that I might experiment with a passive cooler, with assisted air-flow provided by that extra power supply fan.

Also, build quality is excellent compared to what came out.

Allan

2. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Enermax do make good power supplies, but I`ve heard they can get noisier as the case heats up (if its a thermistically controlled fan). Anyone who doesn`t want to shell out the dosh for an expensive PSU (like me, well I couldn`t find a quiet uATX PSU), you can always replace the fan in a normal PSU with a pabst fan. And you have a quiet PSU for less than you might shell out for a shop bought quiet PSU.

3. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any recommendations for replacing the shrieker of a fan on my cpu cooler ?

Allan

4. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Personally, I`ve gone for a verax p11 from www.pcsilent.de. They are expensive, but if it really is as quiet as I`ve heard it is, the it will be worth it (rated at 20db). The other option is a stock heatsink and a pabst fan(probably the cheapest option), or a coolermaster silent heat pipe thingy. These are all supposed to be very quiet. Obviously though the thermal properties aren`t up there with the best, but thats the tradeoff.

Chris

5. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    QuietPC.com do a radial cooler for about £28.
    I have one and it's very quiet indeed.

6. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    pcsilent.de also do the molex radial fin. Its the same as the quiet pc one, and may work out cheaper from germany! which tell you something about the markup on Quietpc.com. However, the molex is rated 5 dbs higher than the verax, so I went for the lowest db I could find. (based on the fact that I have a uATX case which restricts height a bit.

Chris

7. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Verax P11 (or P12) looks perfect for the job. Thanks !

I might have tried a Zalman flower, passive, with assistance from the proximity of the bottom-fan on the enermax but a) I don't think I have the clearance for it, and b) if I had to resort to using the zalman-fan the power supply case would definitely be in the way.

Allan

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I've got the same radial cooler as GTVChris, but I onstalled it and didn't notice a lot of difference (my spl meter didn't register any real difference).

I replaced the cheapo PSU fan with a Papst one, and that made a load of difference - dropped over 5db. It may have actualy dropped more, but my spl only goes down to 40db, and before the fan swap, was registering over 45dbs. Had I installed the Papst first, then the cpu cooler, I may have noticed a difference.

I don't have the clearance for a flower heatsink & fan either unfortunately, otherwise I think that may have been a better choice...

After that the noisest part was the Pioneer 104s drive I had, but due to some problems with a couple of disks, I replaced it with a Liteon 163 which is a lot quieter than the Pioneer. Apparently it's quieter than the Pioneer 106s with slow-down software employed, so I think it was a good upgrade.

Although i didn't notice the htpc when a movie was playing, I now notice the projector when a movie is over instead.. :)

Gary.

9. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, right now, even without changing the cpu cooler, the projector has overtaken the PC in the noise stakes. And I'm using an Epson TW100 projector which claims to be only 30dB !

Allan