1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

energy pc

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rab4169, Jul 15, 2005.

1. rab4169

rab4169
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    want to change my motherboard and processor to a newer model.
    my pc is on most of the time downloading off net then sometimes converting films to divx.
    i would like a processor and board that would run at very low power when on the net but fire up when doing divx , looking for ht technology as well

thanks

2. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't exist - the best compromise for relatively low power with fairly good performance is pentium M.

Your other option is 2 systems, one for high performance and one for low power 24/7 use, this is the approach I use - a mini ITX that uses about 30watts in total for 24/7 net use and a dual xeon that uses about 350watts for serious workstation use.

If you want insanely lowpower there is the NSLU2 NAS to USB disk box, this can be hacked to get to the linux install on it and a bit torrent client is avialable. This, with a USB2 drive, would use about 20watts.

3. rab4169

rab4169
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what about the cool n quiet pcs