Energy drink for workout

canada16uk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey all.
I am looking to get rid of my beer belly, and start working out for the first time.

I am obviously not going to have a lot of energy so would like a little boost.

I am calorie counting so it cannot have added sugar.

I also do not want to start shaking because of too much caffeine.

Must taste nice, and about £15.00 per 30 servings. I do not want those gels, as I want to drink water as I workout.

Any Ideas, I need to buy it on amazon as I have tons of vouchers,

Thanks all

You body has all the energy it needs. If you are trying to kose weight why add extremely calories? If you really, really need a boost have an espresso.

The drinks I am looking at, whether its powder or tablets are calorie free, like high5

It has magnesium and electrolytes.

Just unsure which tastes best.

Stick to water mate. It’s the best thing for workouts and losing weight. Don’t believe all the marketing hype on these energy drinks.

After 3-4 sessions your energy levels will feel better as will your scales and wallet.

I know you said you want to avoid caffeine but a little black coffee will give you a lift without anything unpleasant going on.
It only gets a bit buzzy if you start doubling up on the double espressos:)

Just stick with water and sip it throughout and after training. Your body will sort out it's own electrolyte imbalances and you should be getting the water in anyway so stick with that.

Thanks all.
Guess, banana, coffee before workout, and water.
A lot cheaper than the drinks.

Whats your thoughts on exercise, should I drink anything after like protein to help my muscles, or just let everything occur naturally?

Down from 185lbs to 170lbs in 6 weeks by just eating chicken breast and salad. Its been hard to stop drinking, no chocolate and nice greasy burgers ha ha

I know its going to be a hard road, wrong side of 40 and a beer belly when your skinny, its going to take a while to get it down

As long as your protein consumption is adequate then it doesn't really matter when you consume it. The simple option is to get at least 25g per meal.

After running marathons etc, I've found the one thing I wanted was this:

upload_2019-3-8_18-29-7.png

Fizzy drinks upset stomachs. It's full of nutrients and vitamins and it's not fizzy.

@canada16 forget about proteinnshakes, bcaa, amino acids etc etc not needed unless you are a very high level athlete or body builder and even then I don't really believe in it.
All the information out there about these things originated from the companies employed to market and advertise the products. Plus, anything that isn't a whole naturally grown thing and still taste good most likely has fats, sugars and sweeteners added to it to make it taste nice or palatable.
You don't even really need to go for healthy foods, just cut out the obvious bad stuff.
So what is your plan for exercises then? Do you want to only get rid of the belly? Be more active? Play a sport, build muscle? Improve fitness? Increase strength?
Start by doing an activity you enjoy. If you hate weight lifting, don't choose that as you won't want to do it, won't put the effort in and went be consistent.
I'm in my 40s and LOVE working till exhaustion. However the recovery is so long now that I can't train consistently like that. Also weight training gave me a monstrous unstoppable appetite and I ended up getting fatter.
Now I only do bodyweight training and I'm stronger than ever, it's not as exhaustive so I can recover quicker and do it more and it's a lot more fun!

A friend of mine sells Isagenix, which is supposed to be really good. Looks like some of the products are available on Amazon.

I’ve seen a few ads about this Isagenix but have no idea what it is, will need to look into it.

Honestly it doesn't matter what you drink or consume you are going to hurt and suffer abit until you loose some weight and become a little more conditioned, these energy drinks etc, unless they are packed full of caffiene or a like minded substance wont give the kick your looking for.For the most part energy drinks are only any good for endurance events, when you body depletes it's energy stores after approx 1 hour 30 mins, so for your basic gym work outs just have some good carbs a couple of hours before and have plenty of water with you, a nice high protien/ carb meal planned for post workout.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies.

I will only be doing rowing and step machines.. I dont do running machines.
I want to get rid of the beer belly with high intensity rowing ect, for an hour a day, after work.

I have a 34inch waste, but I am very skinny, so the beer belly looks stupid.

I have been doing some reading, and seems some heavy bodybuilders do not recommend those protein shakes, or anything else at those fitness shops. It would seem they rely on 6 small meals a day with lots of protein like chicken breast and tuna.

Years ago I used to make my own protein bars with all organic whole foods, they tasted amazing. It beats me how I can make protein bars with all organic whole foods for like 60p a bar, but these mass manufactures cant do the same.

I am going to buy a soup maker or just use a pot and 2 days a week just have soup, then just have a banana and yogurt at lunch, then a big bowl of soup for dinner. This should get the belly fat off sooner. I could not do this everyday as feel it wouldn't be the healthiest for my body.

I have a summer goal, so by summertime I want a flat stomach which I think is achievable, but only if I get to the gym.

Once my belly is gone, I would like to build a little muscle, not much just a tiny bit more definition.

Overall goal for this is by the end of the year which I feel is very realistic.

Again, thanks all, I will stick to natural foods, eggs, tuna in spring water, salads, soups ect. And if I want something sweet, I will make some of my world famous protein bars.

Hey all.
I am looking to get rid of my beer belly, and start working out for the first time.

I am obviously not going to have a lot of energy so would like a little boost.

I am calorie counting so it cannot have added sugar.

I also do not want to start shaking because of too much caffeine.

Must taste nice, and about £15.00 per 30 servings. I do not want those gels, as I want to drink water as I workout.

Any Ideas, I need to buy it on amazon as I have tons of vouchers,

Thanks all
Don't waste your money, have a strong coffee before you workout. Does more than any pre workout drink

Thanks all for the replies.

I will only be doing rowing and step machines.. I dont do running machines.
I want to get rid of the beer belly with high intensity rowing ect, for an hour a day, after work.

I have a 34inch waste, but I am very skinny, so the beer belly looks stupid.

I have been doing some reading, and seems some heavy bodybuilders do not recommend those protein shakes, or anything else at those fitness shops. It would seem they rely on 6 small meals a day with lots of protein like chicken breast and tuna.

Years ago I used to make my own protein bars with all organic whole foods, they tasted amazing. It beats me how I can make protein bars with all organic whole foods for like 60p a bar, but these mass manufactures cant do the same.

I am going to buy a soup maker or just use a pot and 2 days a week just have soup, then just have a banana and yogurt at lunch, then a big bowl of soup for dinner. This should get the belly fat off sooner. I could not do this everyday as feel it wouldn't be the healthiest for my body.

I have a summer goal, so by summertime I want a flat stomach which I think is achievable, but only if I get to the gym.

Once my belly is gone, I would like to build a little muscle, not much just a tiny bit more definition.

Overall goal for this is by the end of the year which I feel is very realistic.

Again, thanks all, I will stick to natural foods, eggs, tuna in spring water, salads, soups ect. And if I want something sweet, I will make some of my world famous protein bars.

If you want some muscle in the long term it would be best to start to build some from the start rather than it being an after thought, the beer belly will go as long as you work out and stay off the beers, but if you just do cardio all the time some of your weight loss will come at the expense of muscle loss.

I take a couple of caffeine tablets before a workout - the recommended dosage is 300mg, but the tablets tend to come in 200mg so I take 2...

and don't underestimate the effects of the creatine / beta-alanine stack when working out...

Well down 20lbs in 2 months without working out.
Going to the gym tomorrow just to have a look around and see what I need, locks ect for the lockers.
I would have thought I would have gotten sick of chicken and salad, I am talking everyday 7 days a week, but lovin the salad.

I made a burger once, lean meat, wholemeal bread, that was nice as well.

I think I am just going to make a strawberry, organic oats, banana and green tea, will have that about 45 min before my workout.

I have bought apple cider vinegar as I am so bloated, It feels like my stomach is going to explode, will see if that helps. I have tried bio-cult, symprove and alorflex but none of that helped and it was so expensive.

Well down 20lbs in 2 months without working out.
Going to the gym tomorrow just to have a look around and see what I need, locks ect for the lockers.
I would have thought I would have gotten sick of chicken and salad, I am talking everyday 7 days a week, but lovin the salad.

I made a burger once, lean meat, wholemeal bread, that was nice as well.

I think I am just going to make a strawberry, organic oats, banana and green tea, will have that about 45 min before my workout.

I have bought apple cider vinegar as I am so bloated, It feels like my stomach is going to explode, will see if that helps. I have tried bio-cult, symprove and alorflex but none of that helped and it was so expensive.

Well done:clap:, diet is so important when it comes to loosing weight and getting shape.
Perhaps even more so than working out to a certain extent.

I take a couple of caffeine tablets before a workout - the recommended dosage is 300mg, but the tablets tend to come in 200mg so I take 2...

and don't underestimate the effects of the creatine / beta-alanine stack when working out...

AFAIK - I recommended dose is 2-3 mg of caffeine per kg of body weight. Handy for me as I'm roughly 75kg and the SIS caffeine gels come on 75mg doses!

"They" say not go off having coffee for your fix as you can't be sure of the dose, but when I'm doing a bike workout, an espresso is part of the ritual!

I do drink too much coffee though as I can't see I notice any benefit from it these days. I tried those Grenade 50cal pre-workout drinks a while back and it did absolutely nothing, whereas a gym-bro I know who doesn't drink coffee wouldnt have looked out of place in a 90's rave...

AFAIK - I recommended dose is 2-3 mg of caffeine per kg of body weight. Handy for me as I'm roughly 75kg and the SIS caffeine gels come on 75mg doses!

"They" say not go off having coffee for your fix as you can't be sure of the dose, but when I'm doing a bike workout, an espresso is part of the ritual!

I do drink too much coffee though as I can't see I notice any benefit from it these days. I tried those Grenade 50cal pre-workout drinks a while back and it did absolutely nothing, whereas a gym-bro I know who doesn't drink coffee wouldnt have looked out of place in a 90's rave...

I don't drink much coffee myself these days - as at my last office there was a free vending machine and would have about 4-5 small cups a day, but not exactly sure if they contained much caffeine...

now I hardly drink any coffee at all - during my working week I'll have a strong mug of instant (2 1/2 heaped teaspoons with touch of milk) then 3 pints of water during the day, I used to have a slice of lemon in it, but have just started using those effervescent vitamin C tablets...

and of a weekend I'll have a strong coffee for breakfast - whether it be filter or instant...

Your supposed to cycle caffiene to see the benefits, your body adapts to it over time and the effects become redundant, 6-8 weeks clean off the stuff is recommended to see some effects when you start talking it again.

Your supposed to cycle caffiene to see the benefits, your body adapts to it over time and the effects become redundant, 6-8 weeks clean off the stuff is recommended to see some effects when you start talking it again.

I keep trying to come off but the addiction is too strong!

I'm actually 8 weeks out from an Ironman 70.3, and I have noticed in the past that when I've come off caffeine I tend to lose a bit of water weight (and a have a few days of a constant bad head...) so I might give going cold turkey another go.
I've not touched booze since New Years Eve, sadly coffee is a harder habit to kick.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom