Energy companies - door to door tatics

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by raigraphixs, Mar 28, 2006.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,726
    Hi,

I had 2 guys knocking on the door with npower badges tonite, and he gave me some dribble about we are here to see if you can get cheaper rates for your property. All we need are you latest bills and see if the account numbers match what we have on our list.

The whole thing just smelled of a scam. I am not with 'npower', and i said no im too busy and he said well people will keep knocking till we have those number for checking.

Now all they really want to do is switch people over to their company on the sly, and many people will fall for these kind of tatics, especially old people.

Now why would these door to door idiots want any billing information from people, if they are from a legit company, they would have access to the information in the first place. I bet they want you to sign something after!.

So am i right this was probably a scam?. And i supose nothing can be done to stop it, and you know they will knock on all your neighbours doors and most of them will give them the bill for inspection.

2. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,950
    yeah this was on watchdog a few times, its ridiuclous the tactics used, also with phone carrier companies. its ridiculous

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,011
    They aren't allowed to knock on peoples doors now, i thought anyway.

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely a scam. Had a similar situation several years back - guy gave me 45 minutes of utter garbage (which I let him do, purely to waste his time - I wasn't busy!) then refused to leave till I'd signed something ... which he claimed I HAD to do! One swift threat to call the police and have him arrested, and off he toddled, tail between legs.

As for mobile phone companies trying on scam you 'on behalf' of your current provider (which Orange have warned me to beware of), I simply answer then hang up. The same firm has never rung twice yet!

5. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    They are very very pushy. just slam the door on them!

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

I had a man knowck on my flat door last night. He asked me if I was Mr X, but Mr X was the previous tenant from nearly two years ago. He then went into his spiel about high cost of utilities, and which suppliers I use. But after a few seconds, I stopped him, asked him for some ID and why he was here, and as soon as I saw the "nPower" logo on his badge, I immediately retorted:

"Sorry. Not interested in anything from you or your company, as you're s**te!" and closed the door on him! :rotfl:

Ungrateful git was interrupting me whilst watching "CSI" on Five! :mad:

Pooch

7. colinwheeler

colinwheeler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Damn, I can't have fun and games with these guys because we live in a block with reception so they don't even let them in but when I lived in South Africa it was great fun to come up with different ways to p£"$ these guys off or to cause significant spiritual damage to religeous folks comming around to convert one.