Energy bars, gels and drinks

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by p1tse, Sep 2, 2013.

1. p1tse

p1tse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    What are your thoughts to energy bars, gels and drinks?

Recently picked up exercise again after years out.

Went on a 40 mile bike ride, I hit a brick wall around 20miles due to lack of fitness, but could have done with a pick me up.

So on a recent 25 mile I had an energy gel before hand and felt good all the way, just slow compared to friends due to lack of fitness.

Played a mini tournament hockey game recently and felt tired half way through and had a sports energy bar (quite liked the texture and taste actually), and it definitely helped me as I was flagging.

With picking up sports I'm going to try and cut down on normal chocolate bars, but can anyone recommend other snacks?

Are these energy gels and bars actually good for the body?
    I wouldn't mind snacking on the energy bars ((SIS) as a snack but at £1 a pop it's quite pricey.

2. Apsilon

Apsilon
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,826
    You'd be best having this thread put in the Fitness section. That said, gel energy sachets are excellent for cycling but, are mainly for more hardcore/amateur cyclists. As they are small with no weight, quite a few can be carried in a waist pack or frame pouch to give a boost whilst on the pedal.

However, for someone like yourself who is just getting back into it, you would get more benefit from eating a Banana and Apple before starting as these both release energy at different rates. You should also carry a couple of Bananas and mixed nuts around with you and eat these if you start to feel leggy as these will pick you up better than a gel sachet and they're a lot cheaper.

3. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,299
    Wasn't it proved that those 'energy' drinks were no better than water?

But psychologically, the benefits may be greater.

It may just be a distraction to eat something. Nothing wrong with that if it works. I can't eat nuts as they get stuck in my teeth and invariably have me couching my lungs out.

I would think something like dates or sultanas would be good. Something moist and soft. Or carrot batons etc.

Most of the energy bars are loaded with sugar arn't they?

4. Robothamster

Robothamster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,369
    You can make your own isotonic drink by mixing squash to your taste then adding a spoon full of salt.

I usually take the following on long bike rides :

Banana
    Fruit & nut mix (sometimes just nuts)
    Soreen fruit loaf with butter
    Cereal bar
    Cash for lunch

5. Caskey

Caskey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I think I used to drink way way too much energy drinks in the past. I used to buy a good few crates of Rockstar every few months, and ended up going right off them for around a year. So only have the odd can or bottle once in a blue moon now.

Still don't think they really perk you up that much at all, but still don't mind them.

6. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,706
    Funny you should say that. My sons goalkeeping coach, who was on the books at Chelsea with Lampard, Terry etc always says the same thing to the boys. He says all the lads used to get an empty squash bottle, put in the salt, some Ribena etc and top up with water.

Its trendy for the boys to all have energy drinks these days but its saved me a fortune now he has said that :)

7. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Jelly babies :thumbup:

8. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,470
    soreen and jelly babies for me when cycling. Jelly baby every few miles and if longer rides, some soreen loaf.

9. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Some caffeine will do the trick. Inexpensive. Try it.

The energy from these drinks is negligible unless you are doing looong endurance sessions. Carb up properly the day before and watch your energy levels fly.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  10. Elrond

Elrond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,166
    On a recent 50 mile bike ride I had one bottle of water, one bottle of electrolyte drink, one gel and one energy bar. That lasted me for 3h30. If I was to have had the recommended amount of gel's, I should have had about ten.

So how much of it is these companies wanting you to spend more on their products?

That 50 miles also included Box Hill three times and I still had energy left at the end.

11. rjkgr

rjkgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the gatorade chewables, they actually work haha didnt think they would

12. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,615
    My nephew is in the Colchester Utd youth academy and they have just banned all of these types of drinks and gone down the cordial, water and salt route. Probably find too many people without the knowledge were just chucking energy drinks down their kids necks.

13. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,615
    99%

I'm getting bored of saying it now but I've had a titful of supplement companies now, they just want your money for very little gain in my opinion.

14. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,181
    Whats the proper ratio though. One teaspoon into 2 litres of water?

15. p1tse

p1tse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    What size bottle, how much cordial and salt?

16. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,615
    I just had a look at the email they sent out. It seems that whilst they haven't banned them as such, too many parents are just giving their kids energy drinks and thinking it's enough instead of concentrating on giving them a decent diet instead.

As for how much salt, just make up a normal cordial drink and add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt per litre.

17. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,556
    They won't mean table salt more likely salts need for cell rebuilding.

18. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,556
    PS energy drinks are proven not to be as good as water and something solid!!

19. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,615
    Nope. Regular table salt is fine.

20. dmax622

dmax622
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you want mad energy and quick, maybe try a pre work supplement. I have tired and used them for ages and they are fantastic for ease of use and convenience. The Trick is to use then when you need them and not for the sake of using them. The one I am using now is this, and its fantastic. You basically mix a scoop of powder in to water half and hour before exercise and it give you a good kick up the backside

Cellucor C4 Extreme 165g - Cellucor - Shop By Brand | G'rilla Fitness

21. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,323
    No offense intended, but you are recommending a lot of gorilla products in your posts...

22. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I've never really seen the point of these products. To me they are like cheating yourself. You exercise to get fit and into shape. Oh wait let me take a supplement with a ton of sugar and other stuff in it to help me out. Some of my friends use stuff before the gym that is so sweet it makes their teeth ache!
    I think it's counterproductive. Fine after a workout have something that only contains electrolytes. Just my opinion and I could be wrong but I never use them.

23. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,556
    Have to agree entirely mate especially when it's proven most of them don't work. I have taken gels when I did snowdonia marathon but that's about the cut off for taking a boost for me 3hrs. So unless you are doing a 3hr session just water is fine. To be honest why would you need electrolytes after? You need protein but why have a protein shake/drink/supplement when you can just get a tin of tuna and a handful of nuts.
    I often joke with the guys at work about drinking a shake before and after a gym session that only lasts 45 mins what a waste of money.;)

24. davidegee

davidegee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Do you not think the fact they are used by elite athletes who benefit from the world's top sporting doctors, nutritionists etc indicate they offer more than a placebo effect?

Anyway, i've recently started running longer distances and have just placed an order for some hi-5 gels from Wiggle. Buy one box get one free. Hopefully they offer something, even if it's a mental boost as much as physical!

25. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,706
    Yes they are used by top athletes. But when they NEED them. If a marathon runner or top cyclist has been on the go for a few hours then they need to replenish energy stores, and quickly. They are also pros and work a lot harder than us mortals. I've done one hundred milers on the bike and I've really needed lucozade etc to keep me going. But like was said above, you don't need them for a 45 minutes session in the gym

And there is no way they should be marketed to kids. I could run for ever when I was eleven !!

26. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,556
    Eeeerrrrm sponsorship deals maybe? I am not saying they don't have some effect at all and they are maybe a good cheat but the university studies I read proved they were NO BETTER than water and actual real food for hydrating and replacing nutrients. Just making them an expensive alternative. I remember lucosade even had to adapt one of their adverts for 'bending' the facts.
    Even that advert with the guys on the running machine showing the drink was better than water(that's how they got round it) left out the fact that if they took on nutrients/energy in the form of even a biscuit it would be as good if not better than the very expensive electrolyte drink.

27. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,556
    Well said sniffer, I recorded great north run and watched it back yesterday (in the hope of spotting myself as I was interviewed at the end but the program had finished 3 minutes before haha) but I noticed most of the elite athletes just grabbed water didn't actually see any separate drinks taken? Funny that for a 1 hour run.

28. davidegee

davidegee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    I'm in no way one of those people who uses energy drinks for the sake of it. I can't remember ever buying lucozade or similar and the only time i've ever bought red bull is as a mixer for vodka ;)

On saturday I ran for 2 hr 15. I don't want to carry water with me and I don't think my wife would want to stand on the side of the road with a bottle waiting for me, so an energy gel is convenient. It may well be placebo, but if it helps and doesn't cost the earth, i'm willing to use it.

As for sponsorship, I have no idea what brand gels team sky use, but i do know they are very dependant on feeding en route, so much so Froome was willing to take a time penalty in this years TDF to take a gel on board as he'd cracked without it... (Caveat - I am in no way comparing myself to any elite athlete, it's just a discussion point about gels and their place in physical activity...)

29. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,556
    Yes mate that's fair enough in its place. But I just take a piece of chocolate chickpea cake it does the same job but for longer. If I was running for that long though I would definitely take water(or drop some off on my route) anything over 10 miles or 1hour 30mins.

30. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,556
    PS I use torq fitness gels as I know they are definitely gluten free.