Endgame or Infinity War?

Discussion in 'Marvel Movies Forum' started by lucasisking, Apr 26, 2019.

?
  1. Infinity War

27 vote(s)
    46.6%
  2. Endgame

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Can't decide, both equal

20 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20,785
    So the big question: which is your preferred chapter in this epic conclusion?

I need to see Endgame again before deciding, but my initial feeling was that Infinity War had the better first time impact. It has the simpler plot, its all about Thanos, its full of amazing spectacle, has multiple punch the air moments, and the last act is just spectacularly amazing, subversive, heartbreaking and epic. Its unlike anything I'd seen in the genre before and left me speechless.

On the other hand, I'm thinking about Endgame ever since I saw it and I think it needs a few viewings. This time its about the Avengers and the lengths they'll go to to save the ones they love. For much of the runtime, its more about character moments and introspection. The closure, the fan service reward, the finality, just breathtaking.

Together as a whole they form a true epic and perhaps its unfair to compare them, especially as they are so structurally and tonally different. But lets anyway...

2. sim12

sim12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    This is an interesting question and one that ultimately has no real answer.

I think that the younger audience would vote infinity wars, where as for I think endgame will hold more appeal for the more mature audience. There are things touched upon in endgame that only the older audience will fully appreciate and perhaps even relate to on some level, I am specifically relating this to the last 5-10 minutes.

But both films have their strengths and weaknesses for different reasons, so on that note i vote they are both equal.

3. barnaby jones

barnaby jones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,638
    I’d say equal, in that they’re both absolutely fantastic but extremely different. It’s impossible to have one without the other.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. BMox81

BMox81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,673
    One would say equally balanced in every way.

Having seen it a second time, I’m happy to say Endgame.

For me, the emotional payoff and resolution you get with the good guys winning after the events of Infinity War tip it ever so slightly for me.

That’s not to downplay Infinity War and the impact it had though. They are the clear 1 & 2 films in the MCU and will take a Secret Wars or Avengers vs. X-Men scenario to top them imo.

But I totally agree with @sim12 though about the older crowd appreciating Endgame more. As a parent myself a lot of the dialogue really resonated with me in the core scenes.

5. Amar1

Amar1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Needs another option "they are different". You know like when someone asks you who is your favourite child...

6. FlaccidSnake

FlaccidSnake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    As others have said, despite them being linked they are both totally different and I don’t see how they can be compared. Both fantastic in their own ways. It feels strange knowing that we are not going to see some of these guys going forward. Having said that, I am looking forward o Spider-Man as it looks as though it’s going to bring some much needed light relief after these two films.

7. UMAR 3:16

UMAR 3:16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    I’ve gone with infinity war but it’s really close. I think what I loved about infinity war was it’s all about Thanos. Never has a villain in the mcu been so strong a force. My fav character and the acting was spot on. That scene when he gets the soul stone. You truly feel for him. End game is all about the avengers as said above. It’s really close but Infinity war takes it for and even dethrones TDK!

8. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26,194
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    Infinity war but it's close, will need to see end game again but infinity war was funnier and easier to follow and Thanos' presence is lacking in EG.

Infinity war is this generations empire strikes back and it's effect and impact will stay long in the memory imho.

10. DJNomad

DJNomad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I won't vote until I've seen it at least one more time, it is very close to call. I see them as two acts of a whole and I think watching at home in the future, it won't be possible to separate them and watch one without the other. Infinity War is the spectacle, Endgame is the contemplative, character piece that had surprises that worked.

Ultimately, the answer may just come down to how much time has been spent thinking about each, and that, hands down, goes to Endgame.

11. Rawschach

Rawschach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,318
    I felt that the ending of Infinity War was spoilt slightly by knowing that Far from Home, GOTG 3 etc were in production and as a result it didn't quite have the impact it should have had (though the 'I don't feel so good' bit was very effective)

Endgame has an advantage there as the conclusion is the end - if you see what I mean.

Having said that, Infinity had the better action scenes. The various team ups and scraps (Scarlet Witch / Cap + Iron Man / Dr Strange etc) are more effective for me than the big CGI fest that both have.

Both have some superb comedy.

Overall I prefer Infinity War but there isn't much in it. Both excellent.

12. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    I'm now wondering whether we should view these movies like Kill Bill iow parts 1 and 2 and ultimately 1 giant movie?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. sammy the squid

sammy the squid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,639
    This is what I’ve suggested in another thread. Avengers 1 and 2 are separate stories. This is one story which has been split into 2. It’s like saying which movie do you prefer? The first half of Terminator 2? Or the second half?

Granted it’s released as two separate entities, but the intention from the beginning was to film everything back to back to form a conclusion to the last 10/11 years. Therefore asking which movie is better, to me, in effect does a disservice to one or the other.

You can’t have one without the other, one is the Ying to the others Yang. It’s that simple imho.

14. SDMDAM

SDMDAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    IW by a distance, good though Endgame was.

15. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20,785
    I do agree as a story they are inseparable, although you can compare them as distinct movie experiences.

As a movie, IW is better paced. There's no getting around it. But Endgame is ultimately more cathartic and satisfying (for obvious reasons).

Definitely ying and yang as you say, with IW belonging to Thanos and EG belonging to the Avengers- arguably the core six.

For that reason I've voted them as equals.

16. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,946
    Difficult one, I’d personally view then as one massive film!

17. bruce-leroy

bruce-leroy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,934
    Infinity War is Kill Bill vol. 1.

Endgame is Kill Bill vol. 2 (well, kind of....but much, much, much, much better obvs.)

18. bruce-leroy

bruce-leroy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,934
    in the sense of it being more reflective, somber, more character based, less action

Edit - beaten to it.

19. jdevil

jdevil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,510
    There was nothing spoilerish about the ending of Infinity War,
    It was obvious the characters were going to come back. Marvel ain't going to completely abandoned the sequels for Black Panther, Spiderman, Doctor Strange etc; just for the sake of the films storyline. Thanos was always going to die and the characters were going to come back, this wasn't going to be like The Dark Knight for the joker to survive in the end...

Marvel and most comic book films are largely quite predictable, it took over 18/19 films for major comic book characters to be killed off...

20. makey

makey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Both I say, but I look at them as a one big movie

21. UMAR 3:16

UMAR 3:16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    Watched again second time. Loved it even more. Upping my score from 9 to 9.5. IA still a 10 because it was all about Thanos and that shock ending!

22. Drax1

Drax1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,782
    I'm going against the grain here, but for me, it's a one horse race!
    My first screening of Infinity War didn't even put it up there with the best the of the MCU (that'll be CA : The Winter Soldier imo), and I had it around a 7.5 if I remember correctly. It was great fun, but far too relentless, with set piece piled on set piece, and wasn't given a chance to breathe much between. I will say that a subsequent viewing at home was something I enjoyed more. Plenty of good stuff, but still a way off being top tier MCU.
    Endgame on the other hand was beautifully handled throughout, and a VERY easy 9/10. Sheer cinematic joy from start to finish.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  23. SDMDAM

SDMDAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Whilst I liked Kill Bill Vil 1, I thought vol 2 was awful. So, even that being viewed as one long movie did not work for me. Endgame was very good but IW was a lot better IMO.

24. ViolentReaction

ViolentReaction

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Loved Infinity War but after two showings going to lean to Endgame, purely for the emotional payoff after 11 years of MCU storytelling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  25. Robothamster

Robothamster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,654
    This is exactly how I felt about IW when I came out of the cinema, and gave it 7/10 at the time.
    My recent watch at home I like it more and upped it to an 8/10, but my one cinema watch of Endgame I instantly gave it a 9/10.

26. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    Marvel/Disney missed a trick by announcing sequels before IW. Then we really would have had no idea who would have stayed dead from the dusting. I understand it would have made logistics and timing impossible but still . . . . imagine we had no idea what was coming next apart from EG?

I've been watching the sneaky camera pirate footage on youtube of keys end scenes and the audience reaction almost makes me wish I saw it in an annoying American Wh00p whoop environment. Although on the whole I'm glad that culture has not completely taken hold in this country.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  27. SDMDAM

SDMDAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Totally agree. Would have been nice if we had no idea although Spiderman Far From Home is already well down the road of marketing, trailers, etc. so would have been tricky.

28. Lancia34

Lancia34
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    Similar here.
    Watched IW on release and thought it was ok, not Top 5 MCU (7/10) but then watched it again just before seeing Endgame and liked it a lot more and bumped it up to 8/10.
    Endgame I definitely preferred even though IW is a lot more straightforward and does everything it needs to do right and Endgame does have some pacing issues and Act 2 is a bit weak compared to the rest of it.
    Endgame for me is a solid 8-8.5/10 but I have been thinking about it a lot and will probably buy it on BD when it comes out as opposed to waiting a year to see it on Sky so i expect it will get to 9/10 on second viewing.

Not sure how they work as two parts as they are quite different tonally but maybe combined a bigger score :)

29. DJNomad

DJNomad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Having seen it yesterday for the second time, and enjoying it more second time around, my current feelings are that I prefer Endgame to IW. They are very close, although I like the character portrayals better in this. There is an emotional weight to the characters that is unusual for a superhero film and probably hasn't been seen since Christopher Nolan's Batman films.

The acting was excellent by all the main cast and what the characters went through felt real (or at least real enough), even from a rabbit! The soundtrack was the best in a Marvel film for me too. I'm still trying to understand if the major plot points work, which is a testament to the film that I'm still thinking about it. An amazing payoff for sticking with all the preceding films and I have this in my number 1 slot.

30. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    I've been watching leaked clips of the action scenes which ironically carried the most weight for me.

Looking back (I havent revisited them yet) but the middle act was not as good as I thought it was going to be and this is why I rate IW higher. IW has amazing pacing and editing, theres no fat to it. I feel as though EG could have trimmed the beginning and middle a tiny bit more bit more. I suppose in the end they would only have lost 5-10 mins maximum. As much as I say that about the first and second acts, the final act is just too good, just too much pay off, fan service and tension although 2 heavy hitting characters get neutered in exchange for another who in the end only had one real decent moment. Was not a fair exchange. Other than that the whole thing just ends pretty much perfectly for me.