Ender's Game 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

mckee74

Distinguished Member
Great movie.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the Review Simon. I have the iTunes version, had it for a while. All the same bells & Whistles like DV & Atmos & have not noticed any raised blacks (I watch Movies like this in total darkness). Sounds like I got the winner!

sraper

Great movie.
Great books! One of my favourite series. The film was good, watched on Netflix a few years ago.
Would love to buy this if it was "fixed"

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
Great books! One of my favourite series. The film was good, watched on Netflix a few years ago.
As this seems to just be a port of the USA release the raised blacks should be fixable with use of TV/player picture adjustment controls, same as with that release. Once that is done USA release looks fine to my eyes.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
I felt they really overshot the moral grey area stuff in the movie.
I remember being horrified reading the book and feeling like the movie was more shades of "Oh dear...OH WELL!"
Graff in the book is unquestionably a monster but I feel like as soon as you put Harrison Ford in that role you're already accepting a step away from that.
I just found it all very unsatisfying.

/Ramble

Captain Ron

I remember the awful trailer for this movie in the cinema put me right off seeing it. The trailer gave the whole thing a Twilight / Hunger Games / Harry Potter vibe and did a complete disservice to what is an excellent sci-fi flick. When I finally got around to watching this on bluray it blew me away. I'd give the movie a solid 8-9/10 personally. I loved it! Made me very annoyed indeed at the trailer makers. They undoubtedly did enormous damage to the box office takings with the poor trailer. Sad to see that the UHD picture is not right. That's Enders Game added to Oblivion as another UHD on the "wait for re-issue special restoration" before I upgrade from my blurays.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
I felt they really overshot the moral grey area stuff in the movie.
I remember being horrified reading the book and feeling like the movie was more shades of "Oh dear...OH WELL!"
Graff in the book is unquestionably a monster but I feel like as soon as you put Harrison Ford in that role you're already accepting a step away from that.
I just found it all very unsatisfying.

/Ramble
If all of Humanity had come very, very close to being totally wiped out, & it was believed that the same threat was just regrouping to attack again, it is impossible to say what might become acceptible - and that takes us into actual War in general & the continual resetting of morals to justify waging war in different ways, but that's MUCH too far off topic!
I fully expect Harrison Ford was the "easy" choice to tone down the book's harshness, plus a nice Star Name to put in the Publicity, alongside Asa Butterfield, still fresh in the mind from Hugo.
For a more "Real" Graf, Brian Dennehy & Stephen Lang came up as possibles on another site I infest. :)

Evinger

Distinguished Member
I remember the awful trailer for this movie in the cinema put me right off seeing it. The trailer gave the whole thing a Twilight / Hunger Games / Harry Potter vibe and did a complete disservice to what is an excellent sci-fi flick. When I finally got around to watching this on bluray it blew me away. I'd give the movie a solid 8-9/10 personally. I loved it! Made me very annoyed indeed at the trailer makers. They undoubtedly did enormous damage to the box office takings with the poor trailer. Sad to see that the UHD picture is not right. That's Enders Game added to Oblivion as another UHD on the "wait for re-issue special restoration" before I upgrade from my blurays.
I believe, right off from the casting of Mr. Ford, the Studio never really understood how to work with the source material - or they just decided to "Hollywood" it, which rarely, if ever, works.

MrMrH

I also felt Ben Kingsley wasn't the right choice for Mazer, I’d have much rather have seen Temuera Morrison in the role.

THX1138UK

I've never read the book. I usually like Harrison Ford, but I thought he seemed very out of place and miscast. I actually thought the movie was awful. Didn't hold my interest at all, and seemed a very contrived and obvious ending.

Not a 4K purchase for me.

Regards,
James.

JohnnyMN

So does this have Dolby Vision but the US disc is just HDR10? Like Watchmen?

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I read the book at least twenty years before the film came out and have the Blu-ray and think I will stickwith it.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Appears identical as per the review, where did you get the idea it has DV?
Interesting that the iTunes version does have DV & no raised blacks. Looks Fantastic. Such a shame they did not get things right with this Disk release.

Last edited:

JohnnyMN

Appears identical as per the review, where did you get the idea it has DV?
I thought it said Dolby Vision on the side of the picture at the top where it lists HDR, Atmos etc. Apologies Cas, I must have misread it.

wxman2003

I have this both on disc and in iTunes. DV is elevated via the ATV4K, but not as bad as the UHD disc. Unfortunately, all DV content on the ATV4K has elevated blacks on my LG E6 OLED, as is the case with just about every LG OLED. It's a messed up profile that Apple is using.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
I have this both on disc and in iTunes. DV is elevated via the ATV4K, but not as bad as the UHD disc. Unfortunately, all DV content on the ATV4K has elevated blacks on my LG E6 OLED, as is the case with just about every LG OLED. It's a messed up profile that Apple is using.
My B7 does not have that problem with the ATV4K.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
You are lucky as many do whether it's an E6, all the way up to the CX. It's a known issue with the ATV4K. If you watch tv in a totally dark room, it becomes obvious.
We do watch in a totally dark room for any Dark Scene / Space Movies (And we seem to have a bunch of those!). We even have outside shutters for the windows so there is no spillage around curtains to worry about.
Another good reason for staying with our B7 as long as possible! :)

wxman2003

We do watch in a totally dark room for any Dark Scene / Space Movies (And we seem to have a bunch of those!). We even have outside shutters for the windows so there is no spillage around curtains to worry about.
Another good reason for staying with our B7 as long as possible! :)
For me, it's only the ATV4K that has issue. DV on all other devices are perfect.

SimonST

Distinguished Member
Sad that this issue wasn't even fixed for the original 2016 release, let alone subsequent versions almost 5 years later.

Hoping the new Italian release of the Divergent trilogy fixes the elevated blacks on the first two films, seeing as it has Dolby Vision, so isn't just an exact duplicate of the 2016 US video like this film seems to be.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021