1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

End to End???

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ColdKilla, Jun 28, 2005.

1. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    HI,
    being a bit of a cabling newcomer is there a quick / cheap and easy way to test which cable ends in the loft go to where, as I have 4 coming to the lounge and need to know which is which. At this stage I dont have an aerial or anything to test with - is there a simple test i can run with sum1 at both ends to see which end is which?

CK

2. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    bump

3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are you talking about, ordinary coaxial cables ?
    There probably is an instrument of some kind which you could put on each end, but I'll be buggered if I know what it is :rotfl:
    Why not connect each one to the tv downstairs and then have somebody else grab hold of the copper core of each cable, the signal should improve enough to differentiate, as the person would act as a kind of ariel, not a very technical way of doing it but having the wife grab hold of the end of a coaxial cable is a far cheaper way of doing it than any other :thumbsup:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    depening on the cable you can do a continuity test using a multimeter or similar a 9V battery and a bulb will work on short lengths as can a battery and a buzzer etc

5. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    How many ways can you skin a cat?

If you want a cheap way... number/lable the cables before you pull them through... but remember to re-lable before you cut to length... DOH! (done that too many times!)

The cheapest alternative is to twist the ends of one cable at a time and then use a multimeter (BA&Q, Homebase, Maplin... £10+) to test for continuity. as long as you only have 1 cable twisted at once, its easy.

You can also go up market and buy a cable tracer.. for example http://www.digital-meters.com/Cable_Tracer__Tecpel_CT581-p-16250.html

These are very useful when you have more than a few cables to test.

There are many other products on the market, but you start to get into buying testers for specific cables/terminating plugs etc.

Gareth.

6. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I like the idea of the wife grabbing the cable! I think that could be the winner!

Ta guys,

CK