1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

end the headache please!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by markymark34, Apr 29, 2004.

1. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    I have a athlon xp1800
    512mb ddr ram
    a ti200 i think! graphics card
    80gb hard drive

Problem is my computer over night has gone from being fast (enough for me) to unbelievable slow. More than a few windows open and its in trouble. I cant think what to do. Applications wont close properly either. I have since then done a completely fresh instal of xp pro on a new hard drive and im still having the same problems. Any ideas guys?

driving me nuts!

Mark

2. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    is your memory just one stick of 512 or 2 x 256? if it is 2, have one of these died? does it count up to 512 in the memory test in the bios?

Nathan

3. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    its 1 stick of 512. and it seems to be fine in the memory test
    It really has me confused

4. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Are there any processes running with high cpu usage, sounds like it could be a trojan of somekind, my mate had exactly the same problem, have a look in the task manager, if u do have one and can't remove it do a format and BEFORE doing anything else on the web install a good firewall then virus checker and THEN update it on the web, then it should be fine and don't forget to update windows aswell.
    I fit's not a trojan then all the above is usless to you!!!

5. Venom1969

Venom1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd recommend what ELV says. Also defragging your hard drive works wonders, almost as good as a fresh install without the need to reinstall all your programs again. Don't bother with the integrated defrag it's almost useless. Try diskeeper or my favourite O&O defrag, defrags even the messiest drives with little or no extra space required! :)

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,768
    I can't see how a defrag or searching for a trojan could be the answer as he's done a fresh install on a fresh hard disk.
    Is the chip running at the correct speed ? Have you tried a download of some benchmarking software and run that ?

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Check the memory is running at the right speed, if it's sliped from 133 to 100 the speed loss feels a lot more than a 33 slow down.

8. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thinking along similar lines, it's worth checking that the BIOS settings are being held and that the correct FSB/multiplier settings are currently saved.

If not, the solution could be as simple as replacing the on-board battery that is usually used (typically a 'CR2035', I think).

Just in case it's needed, your processor-related settings should be:

FSB 133 (266), multiplier 11.5x, giving an actual processor speed of 1533 MHz and the '1800+' rating.

Hmm, not just hankering for that Athlon 64 upgrade are you...? :laugh:

Good luck and I hope that helps :)

9. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As i said exactly the same thing happened to my mate, multiple windows would struggle to open, programes would run very slow and this all happened overnight!
    The reason i said putting the fire wall on first is because he also formated his hard drive and it was re-infected within seconds of going back online.I'm not an expert but Marks symptoms are identical my mates,he also bought a new hard disk and it was re-infected also, the answer is protect yourself before going online with a firewall and virus checker(Norton has been spot on in both my case and my mates, he did'nt have one before)and update it first then windows.
    By all means Mark check the above first but don't disscount what iv'e said my mate was at his wits end also, and if you're not an expert i know how annoying it can all be!

Hope you sort it out ...:confused: :confused:

10. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    thanks guys i wil try some of those settings when i get home.
    Its definately not a trojan or a virus. Brand new hard drive without an internet connection for a few days and it was still slow.

Is there much benifit in the Athlon 64? The komplett web site says its only a 10% performance gain on the barton chipset and there is over £100 difference in price on the packs?

mark

11. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    right. changed the settings to 133 it was at 100 it now says i have a 1600+ at start up. Nearly at the 1800+ that i actually have!

andy you mentioned multiplier 11.5x what does that mean?

computer does seen faster now!!!

12. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Your chips actual speed is made up of the memory bus speed x the CPU clock multiplyer so if the mem is 133 then the multiplyer should be 13.5. Look in the bios for chip or CPU clock/multiplyer and set that to 13.5 and that will get it back to 1800. If you want to overclock try another setting, say 15 and this will speed your system up. Just remember that overclocking is a system by system trial and error thing. :thumbsup:

13. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    computer seems to be running better.

but cant find the multiplier.
    In the setup i have an option of selection memory speed of 100 or 133. Thats the only option i can change in there. Went through all the other options as well. No mention of multiplier.

I suppose this means i dont have to spend money on a new computer till some new games come out!

mark