End of the road for my Denon?

DefDave

Over the last week or so my Denon AVR-1713 (I'm presuming) has been giving off occasional feint crackling sounds through front left & right speakers. It's apparent when playing both connected sources, TV and Blu-Ray. Non of the settings have been changed for years. apart from a re-run of audyssey with new speakers 12 months ago. I've checked all cables and re-terminated banana plugs but made no difference.
The front speakers are also used by my Denon stereo amp for music through which no hint of this crackling. I've had the 1713 for at least 7 years maybe longer. I'm thinking it's probably time for a change. Any thoughts appreciated.

gibbsy

Perhaps it just needs a clean to remove dust from the inside. Could be some solder needs replacing, sometimes is shrinks and the hairline cracks can cause interference. You could open it up yourself and have a look for anything obvious or take it to a repairer and ask for an estimate.

It's certainly a bad time to look for replacements as prices are remaining stubbornly high due no doubt to Covid and stock issues. Whether or not it would be financially worth it to repair is for you to decide but such a repair could surpass it's actual worth.

DefDave

Yeah, thanks gibbsy. You've pretty much echoed my thoughts. I'll get the lid off later and show the insides to my mate, Henry Numatic. Unless any faults are glaringly obvious though, I'd struggle to spot them. I hate electrics. Now if it had wheel bearings, suspension and brakes...
As for a repair, like most budget electricals nowadays, it seems more economical to replace with new. I've had a casual wander around the sites and there are some suitable 5.1's at wallet friendly prices. Wouldn't be looking for anything special. Just something to enable the Mrs to keep loading the Blu-Ray with Marvel, Potter and Hobbits.

stranger

I would use a can of compressed air to blow out any debris rather than Henry sucking, you could damage something like a ribbon cable etc.

DefDave

Wow! Gonna have to make this a regular chore. Compressor was out of action so used artists paint brush with Henry at safe distance. Not watched any TV/DVD yet, but Mrs has and thinks she heard same crackle.
20210331_073238.jpg

20210331_074954.jpg

Couldn't spot anything untoward with illuminated magnifying glass. Think some browsing for upgrade is in order.

gibbsy

Braver man than me. Bout of silicosis when you opened it. The crackle does sound like a dry solder somewhere around the volume control. Hard to know unless you do know what to look for. I think you've had that amp for more than seven years going by the model number. If you can live with it for a while I'd hang fire until supplies improve and prices start to fall.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom