End of the line?

fraggenstein

Novice Member
Good article that.

I've always been disappointed by the massive potential of the PSP that just doesn't seem to have been exploited commercially (thank god for homebrew). My PSP has gathered dust on many occasions and I tend to break it out only to update an emulator or put a movie on it for a long trip. I've never bought a single game since the few I bought after launch. Why? There's simply not enough good games (in my opinion) out for it. The ones that are any good seem to be rehashes of existing games on other platforms - there is little of the innovation you see on the DS. I own pretty much all of the current platforms (I love games!) and the games on the PSP don't offer anything I can't get on the others.

I feel a lot of this is Sonys fault. They just seem to have vanished so far up their own corporate a$$ that they have forgotten about us - the consumer. Remember the debacle on the spyware on music CDs, their insistence on sticking with their proprietary (and expensive compared to others) memory stick format and the upcoming PS3 (technically good but too costly). I like Sony but they just seem to frustrate more than innovate these days...

Don't get me wrong - I love the PSP - I'm just disappointed in the way its has panned out for me personally. I'm sure there are thousands of other people who enjoy theirs - sadly that just hasn't translated into (a great) commercial success for Sony.

apolloa

Sorry but that article is a bit flawed. For one it mentions Microsofts PSP contender, if you've been reading the news then you'll know it's not going to release a portable games machine at all but a music player to take on the Ipod, it can hardly say in the article that it's going to make the PSP fail due to it being a superior music player, er hello, isn't that what the Ipod is? Doesn't seem to of affected the PSP one bit, most people with a PSP or DS have an ipod. Also why have you posted it at all? This is not the PS3 thread where you can come and bash Sony because it's fashionable. This is a damn good thread with people who are interested and actually own PSP's come and discuss it.
Anyway back to the article, the first line 'The PSP was doomed to fail from the very beginning, with hight development costs, a lack of hit games' - that'll be just like every other console in history launched then? Like the Xbox 360, high development costs and no hit games what so ever at launch yet most people here have one.
And as for saying you can have a Nintendo Wii and two games for less then a PSP, wtf, this is when NO confirmed prices for the Wii or it's games have been announced yet, not fot the UK at least. And considering what the PSP does for a portable device then it is cheap.
If you read that article to me it sounds exactly like what it is, a Sony bashing article based on rumours and little fact.
And as for saying the PSP's been a flop, if I was running Sony I certainly wouldn't call over 20 million units shipped a flop, sure not as many as the DS but definetly no flop. In contrast the Xbox 360 has shiped over 10 million units worldwide.
Now I for one have said I enjoy and like this forum so lets not turn it into another ruined thread by Nintendo and Microsoft fanboy's with nothing better to do then post rubbish articles to bash my beloved piece of portable hardware. Otherwise it'll be yet another over run and ruined forum.

Jay

Banned
apolloa said:
Sorry but that article is a bit flawed. For one it mentions Microsofts PSP contender, if you've been reading the news then you'll know it's not going to release a portable games machine at all but a music player to take on the Ipod, it can hardly say in the article that it's going to make the PSP fail due to it being a superior music player, er hello, isn't that what the Ipod is? Doesn't seem to of affected the PSP one bit, most people with a PSP or DS have an ipod. Also why have you posted it at all? This is not the PS3 thread where you can come and bash Sony because it's fashionable. This is a damn good thread with people who are interested and actually own PSP's come and discuss it.
Anyway back to the article, the first line 'The PSP was doomed to fail from the very beginning, with hight development costs, a lack of hit games' - that'll be just like every other console in history launched then? Like the Xbox 360, high development costs and no hit games what so ever at launch yet most people here have one.
And as for saying you can have a Nintendo Wii and two games for less then a PSP, wtf, this is when NO confirmed prices for the Wii or it's games have been announced yet, not fot the UK at least. And considering what the PSP does for a portable device then it is cheap.
If you read that article to me it sounds exactly like what it is, a Sony bashing article based on rumours and little fact.
And as for saying the PSP's been a flop, if I was running Sony I certainly wouldn't call over 20 million units shipped a flop, sure not as many as the DS but definetly no flop. In contrast the Xbox 360 has shiped over 10 million units worldwide.
Now I for one have said I enjoy and like this forum so lets not turn it into another ruined thread by Nintendo and Microsoft fanboy's with nothing better to do then post rubbish articles to bash my beloved piece of portable hardware. Otherwise it'll be yet another over run and ruined forum.
I think you've taken my post the wrong way, it wasn't a bash or a pop at sony, it was just an article i found and to see what people opinions were on the subject, you said your opinion and you seem to have come across defensive, what is the point in being a fanboy, i couldn't care less who makes a console, its pathetic, it's as stupid as saying i only buy games from ea for example.
edit:the article does appear to be slightly biased to everything bar sony but does make some valid points. Also regarding the 360 and no hit games at launch, have you heard of call of duty?

fraggenstein

Novice Member
apolloa said:
...lets not turn it into another ruined thread by Nintendo and Microsoft fanboy's with nothing better to do then post rubbish articles to bash my beloved piece of portable hardware. Otherwise it'll be yet another over run and ruined forum.
Whoah! I'm certainly no fanboy! I've bought pretty much every console going since the days of NES and I've loved them all to varying degrees. I own 2 PS2s (the original fan heater style and the updated smaller one) and a PSP which I preordered and got on the day of release. I also love my PSP - its just that I'm of the opinion that it lives up to nothing near its potential. Also 20m units shipped (which isnt the same as sold) isn't necessarily a measure of how good a console is but rather software sales are. I haven't seen the PSP featuring in the top 10 all formats chart that often (mostly PS2 and DS). For example look at the figures released by GamesIndustry.biz. Look through all the countries and you'll see there isn't a single PSP game in the top 20. Now I wouldn't say that's looking healthy which is a shame as the PSP is a damn fine piece of kit. I just wish it had some triple A titles to make the games fly off the shelves! Its for this reason that the article resonated with my personal experiences and prompted my opinions. Now tell me why I'm not qualified to post my opinion in this particular forum?