End of recordings missed

omnione

Standard Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else experienced the loss of the final few minutes of recordings. This has occured (several times now) when the recordings are programed via guide menu. I have already extended the recording time by 10 mins in the service menu but it has made no difference.

Yes - I've had this on 3 separate occasions, twice strangely with different episodes of the same programme. If you view posts on this and other forums this seems to be another bug in TVDrive. The last episode of the programme where it's happened twice is on tonight so I'm going to try a manual recording.

Oh dear I did hope I was the only one with this fault, a recorder that routinely clips the end off programs is of no use to anyone. I have e-mailed T.W. and am now waiting for a reply, I will post here as soon as it arrives.

I had quite a few (60 or so) episodes of CSI and so far with 16 left to watch 4 or 5 have been problematic. I am presuming late changes to scheduling may well be the problem but it would be interesting to see if there is another issue involved.

Telewest have been in touch asking for information about times and dates of the recordings that were shortened and the state of the drive at the time of the recordings my reply is below just in case it jogs anybody else's memory.

Dear Support Team,
Thank you for your prompt reply. The recordings that finished early where on Channel 4 and BBC 2. BBC 2's program was the Choir 21:00 on Monday the 18th December (it did it the week previously as well); Channel fours programs were Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares 21:00 Tuesday 19th December and The Secret Millionaire 21:00 on Wednesday 20th December (again this happened the previous week as well). There have been other recordings taking place on the last two occasions all starting at the same times (i.e. 21:00) but on different channels, those recorded normally. The hard drive is only half full with over 30 hours remaining. Looking over what I have just written it appears a pattern is developing all the recordings were at or about 21:00 and shortened recordings happened on the same programs the week before. As far as I know there is nothing programming wise to stop the drive from adding the ten minute over run I had set up in the menu system but it doesn't seem to be doing this at all on any recordings. Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares is on a series link and others were programmed from the listings menu (i.e. highlighting the program and pressing record to set the timer)
I hope the above information is of use to you.

Regards

Hope you all had a good christmas speaking of which I was at my mothers house on boxing day and we settled down to watch a recorded episode of Come Dancing and guess what, the end of the recording finished short, not by much but enough to make me think. She has a Panasonic DVT DVD recorder and programs it from the on screen guide. I suspect that apart from not adding the extra recording time that I had pre programed the main fault may lie with the program guide information and not with the tv drive. Why can we not have the digital version of PDC ? that method of controlling start and stop times worked very well on the analogue system. Perhaps someone could explain. Any way I will report the above to TW and see what they say.

Good idea. And I think you're right - I suspect the TVDrive is not to blame here.

The missus has complained that she recorded a series on ITV (I think) called "Strictly Confidential". Apparently it happened on episodes 2 & 4 and to say she wasn't happy would be a masterpiece of understatement :eek:

I had this happen on the Supervolcano show on BBC HD. I sat through over 2 hours of a pretty decent quasi docu-drama only to miss the last 10 mins (despite the TVDrive saying it had recorded all of it).

Hearing about more problems like this leaves me less inclined to trust it to record anything.

I had this happen on the Supervolcano show on BBC HD. I sat through over 2 hours of a pretty decent quasi docu-drama only to miss the last 10 mins (despite the TVDrive saying it had recorded all of it).

Hearing about more problems like this leaves me less inclined to trust it to record anything.

Supervolcano is available in HD on Teleport so you'll be able to catch the last 10 mins. You'll have to Fast Forward at x32 though as there is no 'Jump To' option.

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone sorry for the delay in getting back but after talking to TW and a little bit of detective work it appears that the TV Drive is not at fault. My drive was set to start recordings early as well as adding a few minutes to the end. All my clipped recordings occurred when more than one was scheduled i.e. one recording stopping at say 20-00hrs and two others starting at 20-00 or one continuing on another channel through that time slot and another starting, the drive is set to prioritise the start so it will clip the end of a program rather than miss the beginning. ( I personally think this is a daft way of doing it and the wrong way round but a.s.f.a.i.k. all video recorders do this, certainly all the ones I have owned did) If you add in the odd programs not starting when they should according the the schedules and the result is the clipped recordings. I have now set the TV drive to start recordings no sooner than 30 seconds before the programmed start time and been a little more careful when setting up the recordings, up to now even with multiple overlapping and adjacent time slot recordings everything has been OK. I would like to say Telewest have answered all my e mails promptly and have been very helpful and no I don't work for them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom