1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encountered a small problem. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by whats_this, Mar 4, 2005.

1. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Okay so i recently built my ceiling mount for the pj using two 30cm table legs from b&q (the thinner variety) screwed into a piece of mdf with the projector again screwed into the mdf.

The problem is however the legs are not connected to the thread but have a plastic bung inside them which contains the thread.This is not generally a problem as the legs are supposed to be used with the feet on the bottom with the pressure from the top, on the bung. However when the pressure is downwards the legs merely detach from the plastic bung under the load. (sorry for my poor description).

Anyway the solutions i see are to either get a very strong metal/plastic adhesive and hope it holds everything together or secondly attach some hooks to the mdf and again to the joist attached by some high tension rope/nylon/string of some kind (im gathering you can tell i have no clue what im talking about by now)

Do people think this will actually be stable? What is the strongest most durable metal/plastic adhesive? (and where can i get it from?) I have already bought the hooks as a precaution so where could i get some high tension string of some sought to spread the load?

Thanks very much everyone and really appreciate your help as i am really not very confident with the diy and dont want to land up breaking the projector.

Cheers
    Iain

2. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Could you not put screws through the underside of the mdf, straight into the
    legs.(removing the plastic bungs)

3. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    heya mate, thanks for replying, didnt mention but the legs are actually hollow and need the bungs to screw into anything.

Cant really see any alternatives but if anyone can think of anything i would be very grateful.

So any DIY experts know what i should be looking for?

4. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try using the fittings used in wardrobes for the pole. These require a hole to be drilled either side of the pole but is as safe as houses. B&Q do them for about £3 for two.

5. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks mate, that sounds absolutly perfect. Shall pop down to b&q tommorow and try and get hold of one. Thanks very much and i shall let you know how i get on.

Iain

6. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    resolved the problem with some strong adhesive from the local diy shop and seems to be holding fine. Took the extra precaution of adding some safety wire which is looped round some hooks that are screwed into the mdf.

Shall post some pics when its all up, but unfortunatly i underestimated the drop and now need to go buy some longer bolts as i really cant be naffed replacing the legs now i have glued them and wired them. Going down b&q tommorow so maybe it will be finished by the weekend.

cheers Iain

7. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why not drill a couple of small holes through the leg into the plastic bung and use a couple of self tapping screws to ensure it stays put?