Encounter (Amazon) Movie Review & Comments

DLxP

Distinguished Member
That's tonight's viewing sorted - sounds great.

Tom Hyphen

Standard Member
Excellent review, watched this last night and really enjoyed it.

Tim2049

Couldn't really get into this. I thought it started off brilliantly, but the cutesy kid stuff, whilst initially adorable, started to become way too repetitive & I'm not sure the film knew exactly what it wanted to be. I waved the white flag after an hour.

keithwiggins

nufcfan1

I rate this mainly because of Ahmed's performance. He truly is one of the best actors around at the moment. The actual story was ok, but it has been done to death in other films/tv shows, and the twist was not all that surprising. Some of the scenes with the kids were quite good, and the cinematography/direction did provide a sense of the isolation the main character felt, but the movie is a 6.5/10 for me.

Fasen

Good review, will give it a virtual "spin" :)

Mandark

I watched this when it first dropped. I thought that the trailers were misleading because they suggested that this would be a Bodysnatchers/Invaders type story. Even the very start of the film suggested something interesting but all we got was a mildly ambiguous psychological drama. I'd question whether the term 'sci-fi' which is used everywhere to label this film is appropriate.

meltonboy

Looks interesting. Thanks for the review @Casimir Harlow

As a little favour, could i ask that AVF film reviews include their age rating in the title or near the top of the page (pretty please!).

It would just save me showing the trailer to the offspring and then telling them they can't watch it 10 minutes later.

Merry Christmas !

MB

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Looks interesting. Thanks for the review @Casimir Harlow

As a little favour, could i ask that AVF film reviews include their age rating in the title or near the top of the page (pretty please!).

It would just save me showing the trailer to the offspring and then telling them they can't watch it 10 minutes later.

Merry Christmas !

MB

Just hit the specs tab at the top:

1640193508169.png

GDRAFT

Novice Member
Sci-fi? This was as much sci-fi as big bang theory is.
This is 2 hours of your life you will never get back.

What a worthless POS

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks Cas. Liked Riz Ahmed in Rogue one & like the story premise, so will give this a spin soon

SDMDAM

Distinguished Member
I watched this last weekend and what started as a very intriguing prospected ended up being a film that didn't know where to go. 6/10 at best for me which is mainly due to the decent performances from the three leads.

It’s a strange old movie, started off as a sci fi type of film and ends as a father/sons road movie. I enjoyed it enough but just felt it lost itself as it wasn’t quite sure what direction to take.

Morden

Distinguished Member
I watched this last week, saw Mark Kermode mention it on BBC and read his spoiler free review. And I like Riz Ahmed as an actor.

His decription of it being, influenced and similar in cinematography to

The Man Who Fell To Earth and Paris Texas, which sold it for me as i really like both of these films

And it was also part road trip/coming of age film

I really enjoyed this film, it was well acted and had a really good plot.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom